No Longer Banned!
    A Consultant For Affiliates Possible ??...
    Hi

Is there such a thing as a consultant for affiliates ?

I have asked around for a year and a half, and I'm not getting any return calls. My messages go unread. [- Deleted & Ignored perhaps ??]

A few have responded to just say no. But that's about it.

I did mention recently that I have gotten some good advice on ABW. I noticed that at time I get varying opinions on things and I want to try the consultant route instead.

Hope this works.

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

http and a telephoto
    A consultant is just going to be another voice that will tell you something that may or may not agree with what you read here. You ultimately need to decide for yourself what direction you want to take. Just because you pay someone doesn't make their opinion more valuable than most of what you read here.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I don't know what to suggest to Steve -- I get requests like this often (more often than ever in the past few months), but I've always said "no" to publisher-side consulting. I sure don't want to pretend that I'm a "guru" or that I have all the answers, or a secret to success.

A long, long time ago (in 1998 and again in 1999), I hosted "brainstorming sessions" for web publishers seeking revenue. (For those who question my claim that I've always considered myself a "web publisher, I note that in 1998, I called it "Mark Welch's Web Advertising Forum and Web Publishers' Brainstorm Session," and in 1999 it was just called "Web Publishers' Advertising Brainstorm Session.")

On the second day in 1998, and on the only day of the 1999 session, I allocated the entire time to a loosely-guided round-table discussion in which everybody shared their ideas and questions, and everybody tried to answer and offer advice. When I say "everybody," I mean it: there were no designated "experts" or "speakers," just everyone talking. During the 1999 session I also had "breakout" sessions in which participants were separated into three separate groups (merchants, service providers, and web publishers), to encourage a more frank exchange of feedback.

There were about 50 attendees at the 1999 event in San Francisco.

I enjoyed these sessions, and most of the participants said they enjoyed them. But after I sold the adbility.com web site later in 1999, I never revisited the idea.

Quite frankly, ABestWeb.com is a much, much better resource than my "Brainstorming Sessions" ever were. In part, that's because there are more voices with more experience, including many folks who are willing to spend ten minutes (or an hour) per day reading and responding here, but who would never fly here to attend a full-day session.

But of course, we all censor ourselves here.

I don't know what to suggest to Steve -- I sure don't want to pretend that I'm a "guru" or that I have all the answers, or a secret to success.
    Last edited by markwelch; July 9th, 2009 at 08:07 PM.

I would think you'd make more money consulting for merchants rather than affiliates.

> "I would think you'd make more money consulting for merchants rather than affiliates." <

It depends on how honest and ethical you are. I've done "affiliate program consulting" for merchants since 1997, and "PPC search consulting" since 2000, and I've both enjoyed and profited from the work.

But I turn away clients if I don't believe that they will be able to profit enough to justify my fees. That has meant turning away far more prospective clients than I've accepted -- and it's also the reason I refuse to do "publisher-side consulting."

Some consultants (whose goal is simply to earn fees) will gladly accept assignments and do work even though they know that the client isn't going to profit. I won't do that.

But there are hundreds of thousands of people out there who are trying or considering "web publishing" or "affiliate marketing" as careers, and who are seeking the same kind of advice as Steve. That's why so many self-proclaimed "gurus" use a PhotoShopped AdSense check to appear successful, and then sell ebooks and seminars -- because there's a big market. As somebody once said, there's one born every minute.

Well, you could refer the merchants that won't make any money to stevewilliams for a commission.

Bam, new revenue stream

So many things go into affiliate marketing. If I was looking for help, i'd look for a SEO consultant, WebDesign consultant, PPC consultant, or Programming consultant , etc. More of an expert in 1 thing

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    So many things go into affiliate marketing. If I was looking for help, i'd look for a SEO consultant, WebDesign consultant, PPC consultant, or Programming consultant , etc. More of an expert in 1 thing
    That is actually what I was considering suggesting. If you need help with Web Design, start with a college course (online or off) and then move into the other areas. Or outsource the parts you need help with and concentrate on the parts you do best.
    Deborah Carney

No Longer Banned!
    Thumbs up Affiliate In need Of A Consultant ??...
    Wow. So many replies. I dunno where to start.

I'll just do my best.

I have guys that do several different tasks for me. More than one writes code, I do the repairs on it. Another does server configuration, all things linux, SEO, knows my nich and marketing WAY better than I do and a host of other things, and he's only 20 bucks an hour. I have the best graphics guy money can buy and while I don't pay him alot, he treats me very well and I will happily pay him for more projects to come. I have not tried his web dev services yet, and he might do more, but he does not know the first thing about joomla, Jumi, or VirtueMart. Scoreboards are so far iffy.

If you scope us in the Way Back Machine, We have come a million miles from where we were in the years between 2000 and 2007 {basically since I joined ABW}. Dude I am smoking. And I have a very small budget. This is mostly because those who have helped me in a positive way, have opened my eyes to things I never before knew existed. WOW! The biggest help I got is all because of Haiko De Poel, Jr.

But still, that seems to leave a hole in my project. There are questions left unanswered and that I cannot seem to get a continuity of answers on.

I am not asking about how to be successful, nor am I looking for a magic bullet. Or tips for success as an affiliate, or soon to be merchant either. That's OK, I can run my own store, thanks. I don't plan on asking those 'taboo questions' either. Who has time for that when your paying $300 an hour ??

I think an hour is all I need. 2 tops.

Funny thing is, no one will even ask me what's up. I just get told 'no' w/o even getting to the question.

I was even promised a year and a half ago that I would get some 'help', and again about three weeks ago by the same person, but my messages just go unread. Haiko was standing right there.

I want to grow. I think I can do it. I feel that Haiko sees a little bit in me. If he didn't, I wouldn't be where I am. One things for sure, H sure as hell don't need little bitty me. BTW: Thanks H.

But even though there is not a big market for legit consultants working w/ aff's, I see that, I am taking the time to approach those I am sure has a stellar reputation. In part I don't wanna deal w/ sharks, true. But I believe that this can be a test of those who will act in my best interest IF I do hit it big. Do you think I really want to pay 12 grand a month to a guy that ignores my messages for nearly 2 years ? That's how I think.

So the Q is, How do I get these guys to even ask 'How can I help ?'.

You know I'm small. It must be obvious to you that I would not approach you or post this in ABW if I wasn't serious. I've hit a wall perhaps ??

Hmmmm..... So how to solve this challenge.

I'm just not so sure about that one.

Any takers ?

Steve

BTW: Thanks for all the great replies....
    Last edited by Steve Williams; July 10th, 2009 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Decided To Tweak My Post A Bit.....
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

No Longer Banned!
    Consultants Are Allergic To Affiliates Money ??...
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    A consultant is just going to be another voice that will tell you something that may or may not agree with what you read here. You ultimately need to decide for yourself what direction you want to take. Just because you pay someone doesn't make their opinion more valuable than most of what you read here.
    ms Loxly

nope. your right. But its just one opinion. And the consultant is not guarding his great apparel marketing secrets.

Interesting how people view merchants as being OK to get consultants, but affiliates are not.

It'd be great to see the reaction when people started telling merchants to fire their consultants, and just use ABW. Dude, that shit's too funny !!

See you at the show ??

Steve

http and a telephoto
    It'd be great to see the reaction when people started telling merchants to fire their consultants, and just use ABW.
    I tell merchants that everyday. Some need consultants, some don't, and they all need to read Michael's posts that are stickied in the Merchant Best Practices section.
    Deborah Carney

Why aren't there any consultants for affiliates? Most people who are knowledgable enough to be a consultant for affiliates would rather work on sites for themselves instead of sites for other affiliates.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliates do need help and they can get it on forums like this, but sometimes they want a more personal touch. Not everyone on a big forum is in the same situation as them. Say someone wanted to learn PPC affiliate marketing, they can ask questions on forums, but the advice they get is not always going to be correct. Affiliates already doing ppc affiliate marketing are usually terrified of someone coming along and competing with them, so why would they give that person good advice? They wouldn't.

Plus you assume, (above), that people who are knowledgeable enough to consult affiliates would rather just work on their own stuff. That is not always true. There is only so much money in the world that you need. After doing it for a couple years, it actually gets kind of boring. Yes you can challenge yourself be entering new niches, but then once you've got that down, it's boring again. So you need another level of motivation and satisfaction. Helping others brings that fulfillment to people. (Check out maslows hierarchy of needs). Once the bottom tiers of needs are covered, you move up the triangle. Helping others is more rewarding then bringing in another $5 or $10k per month.

If you haven't found any "affiliate consultants" yet. You're not looking hard enough.

Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    Since it came up in conversation, and he can't really say so himself...I'll throw it in here... If you're looking for help with the ppc side of things... ppc-coach.com has been a very rewarding and informative network to join. I manage my companies affiliate program, but personally its a nice little bit of extra change being an affiliate also for say... idk Teeth Whiteners or whatever...Spend some of my free time there at ppc-coach... great site if you need help with ppc or a "ppc consultant"

Last edited by MichaelColey; July 12th, 2009 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Unlinked

No Longer Banned!
    There Are In fact Consultants For Affiliates.....
    Quote Originally Posted by ppcCoach
    If you haven't found any "affiliate consultants" yet. You're not looking hard enough.
    Really ?? Got a list ? I'd like to talk to some of these guys. ASAP !

BTW: do you only consult on PPC ? More ?

You can contact me here if you wanna work.

Quote Originally Posted by SeeksSteven
    Since it came up in conversation, and he can't really say so himself...I'll throw it in here... If you're looking for help with the ppc side of things... ppccoach.com has been a very rewarding and informative network to join. I manage my companies affiliate program, but personally its a nice little bit of extra change being an affiliate also for say... idk Teeth Whiteners or whatever...Spend some of my free time there at ppc-coach... great site if you need help with ppc or a "ppc consultant"

OMFG! There ARE real people on this forum that get it ! Where have you been all my life ?? - Oh, wait a minute, your a dude. Never mind.

Thanks for the fabulous post.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelcoley
    People would rathr do it for them selves
    There seems to be alot of truth in that Mike.

Then I get *****ed at for not wanting to share knowledge by some members. Despite that fact that these members are spreading lies.

I will check it out. Guys, THANK YOU !

Steve
    Last edited by MichaelColey; July 12th, 2009 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Unlinked in quoted text

You can certainly find consultants and solutions in specific areas (PPC, graphics, coding, etc.), but I still contend that there are very, very few general consultants for affiliates.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by SteveWilliams
    Really ?? Got a list ? I'd like to talk to some of these guys. ASAP !
    Did you try searching for them on the internet???

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

I only got 3,300,000 results on this search.

Burger Boy pointed out that there are millions of Google matches for the term "affiliate consultant." That's because that term refers to a very wide range of very dissimilar activities; it doesn't appear that any of the matches on the first few pages are relevant to Steve's needs.

Likewise, PPC-Coach's claim (that "If you haven't found any "affiliate consultants" yet, you're not looking hard enough") is ludicrous unless he just means that there are a zillion self-proclaimed "gurus" out there who will take Steve's money.

I am not aware of a single consultant offering useful services to web publishers who seek to monetize their site through advertising (including affiliate programs).

Again, there are lots of "con artists" and others making vague claims, but I've never found any of these who weren't marketing either an "ebook" or a "system" (often including some software).

No web publisher or "affiliate" has ever credibly told me about any of these schemes that actually generated profits, nor about any actual consulting services received.

I started out in this business because of crooks and con artists who made absurd claims about how much money web publishers could make from advertising.

My interest in "web advertising" started with the "Commonwealth Network" in 1996; they made impossible promises, backed up by zero credibility; to my surprise, they actually paid what they promised for a few months, but then it was no surprise when they abruptly "changed the rules" and refused to pay what they'd promised in later months.

As a lawyer and journalist, I immediately recognized that the Commonwealth Network's claims were irrational, and my response was to post a web page discussing one question: "Is the Commonwealth Network a Scam?" Over the next few weeks and months, I added more information about the company -- and then other webmasters began asking me about other advertising offers. By the end of 1996, my "Web Site Banner Advertising" site listed dozens of merchants and networks, many of which I tagged as "scams" (with reasons). In 1998, I migrated the site to its own domain (adbility.com) and by 1999 I was earning more than $10,000 per month in advertising, from a web site that drew only about 100,000 pageviews per month.

After some unpleasant experiences (including harassment by unethical companies who were upset that I'd warned their victims, and then a publicity-driven lawsuit by a spammer), I sold the adbility.com web site at the peak of the dot-com bubble, in December 1999.

Even after I started doing "affiliate marketing" consulting for merchants in 1997, I refused to consult for "publishers seeking advertising revenue." I have done "peripheral" work in this area (for example, once I was hired to optimize a PPC campaign that drew traffic to a client's web site which was monetized primarily from advertising sales). I've spent many hundreds of hours on the telephone, talking to web publishers (and giving a lot of free advice). A few times, I've even mentioned "monetization advice for publishers" as a possible service on my web site, but I turned away everyone who called. As I discussed above (Post #3), the only time I charged money to web publishers seeking advertising revenue were for my two "Web Publishers' Advertising Brainstorming" events in 1998 and 1999.
    Last edited by markwelch; July 12th, 2009 at 01:12 PM.

hello SteveWilliams - are you really sure you need a specialized affiliate consultant? do you get all the traffic you want but you just can't make any money selling things? if you are not getting all the traffic you want then superCool thinks you would do better looking for a good SEO consultant. you have gotten a lot of advice here about that kind of thing but your site is still not that well done for SEO (IMHO). the webdesign consulting suggestion was also a good one. when you get the traffic you need, will the site keep the visitors around and let them find what they want?

superCool believes that these things could be the key to your next step forward. get the traffic, keep the traffic, monetize the traffic.....sounds pretty simple doesn't it?

an affiliate consultant would really be nothing more than an SEO / webdesign / PPC / programming consultant with some additional affiliate-specific knowledge mixed in. if you get the rest of these pieces working well maybe you would have better luck finding someone to help with the affiliate skills. ??

good luck SteveWilliams

get someone that knows how to convert your traffic...ask for their resume with doing this and call their references. this could help. good luck!

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by socialguy
    get someone that knows how to convert your traffic...ask for their resume with doing this and call their references. this could help. good luck!
    The problem with sharing too much information during the interview process with this type of job opening, is that you give up your secrets in hope of a long term relationship, and suddenly they don't need you anymore.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

No Longer Banned!
    Quote Originally Posted by superCool
    hello SteveWilliams - are you really sure you need a specialized affiliate consultant? do you get all the traffic you want but you just can't make any money selling things? if you are not getting all the traffic you want then superCool thinks you would do better looking for a good SEO consultant. you have gotten a lot of advice here about that kind of thing but your site is still not that well done for SEO (IMHO). the webdesign consulting suggestion was also a good one. when you get the traffic you need, will the site keep the visitors around and let them find what they want?

superCool believes that these things could be the key to your next step forward. get the traffic, keep the traffic, monetize the traffic.....sounds pretty simple doesn't it?

an affiliate consultant would really be nothing more than an SEO / webdesign / PPC / programming consultant with some additional affiliate-specific knowledge mixed in. if you get the rest of these pieces working well maybe you would have better luck finding someone to help with the affiliate skills. ??

good luck SteveWilliams
    You are a true Texan SuperCool, Thank you.

You are right that my SEO stuff is crappy at best, and in truth I have done absolutely nothing to work on it at all beyond fielding a few candidates for the job.

I'm not quite ready to attack the SEO part yet, as Mark and I have discussed at length in private. But I'm close.

While I am not ready to say in public what I have planned, I am in need of a consultant for the step prior to SEO.

I thought about ms Loxly's suggestions, and after her statements I looked into the people that she suggested. - Sadly they are just wanting to "sell" me something I may not need. So back to square one, again.

I think that I need something beyond what ABW has offered thus far and so I have asked publicly for a consultant.

Part of the issue w/ ABW, SuperCool, is that while you have helped me a great deal, you are also my competitor, so you are willing to go so far.

Alan Hamilton will only either ignore me or flame me, and while I am very grateful for the help I have received thus far, I also tend to get conflicting opinions on the direction I should take. That kinda bogs me down some, and then guys like Burger Boy trashes me too w/o knowing what my question is going to be. Or caring for that matter.

A consultant is not here to sell me a new site or some whiz bang gadget I certainly don't need, and I prefer to try to stay with guys I know like MarkWelch so that I know I have a reputable person at hand. ABW is GREAT for that !

So any one wanna consult for me ?

Please advise

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Williams; July 21st, 2009 at 12:46 AM. Reason: changed don't in line 1 to done.Also fixed lies 6 & 8...

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveWilliams
    You are a true Texan SuperCool, Thank you.

You are right that my SEO stuff is crappy at best, and in truth I have done absolutely nothing to work on it at all beyond fielding a few candidates for the job.

I'm not quite ready to attack the SEO part yet, as Mark and I have discussed at length in private. But I'm close.

While I am not ready to say in public what I have planned, I am in need of a consultant for the step prior to SEO.

I thought about ms Loxly's suggestions, and after her statements I looked into the people that she suggested. - Sadly they are just wanting to "sell" me something I may not need. So back to square one, again.

I think that I need something beyond what ABW has offered thus far and so I have asked publicly for a consultant.

Part of the issue w/ ABW, SuperCool, is that while you have helped me a great deal, you are also my competitor, so you are willing to go so far.

Alan Hamilton will only either ignore me or flame me, and while I am very grateful for the help I have received thus far, I also tend to get conflicting opinions on the direction I should take. That kinda bogs me down some, and then guys like Burger Boy trashes me too w/o knowing what my question is going to be. Or caring for that matter.

A consultant is not here to sell me a new site or some whiz bang gadget I certainly don't need, and I prefer to try to stay with guys I know like MarkWelch so that I know I have a reputable person at hand. ABW is GREAT for that !

So any one wanna consult for me ?

Please advise

Steve
    Never noticed that supercool was a fellow Texan before.

I'll bump this up for you.

Don't let BB or Hamilton get you down....

If you start to sound a bit Whiny around here, you'll get kicked to the curb quick.

Sounds to me that you have had a ton of help from MW and Haiko.

I do understand that Mark is so smart, it's hard to understand a word he says sometimes.

Haiko is to the point and will tell you like it is. ( he's ignoring me right now )

Just keep looking around for the answers you need.

A word of advice tho......

STOP putting SEO off or dig into your pocket for a credit card.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

http and a telephoto
    Who did I suggest that wants to sell you something?
    Deborah Carney

No Longer Banned!
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    That is actually what I was considering suggesting. If you need help with Web Design, start with a college course (online or off) and then move into the other areas. Or outsource the parts you need help with and concentrate on the parts you do best.
    Hi ms. Loxly

This is the post I was referring to.

I have approached a few outsource guys for my consult need, Perhaps an hour 2 tops, and they want to sell me a whole new bag of goodies.

This is NOT your fault at all, I just have already experienced the "start with a whole new..." and "what is your budget?" thing.

Guys like Mark Welch and Andy Rodriguez and Haiko have nothing to sell me. They can only sell their time. {I actually do buy some crap from Haiko, but it has nothing to do with web design or consulting}.

Haiko is the most ethical Aff guy around, yes. But even if he wasn't, he still will not try to sell me something I don't want or necessarily need to gain a buck. This is true for Mark Welch And Andy Rodriguez too.

I think that the best way to go now is a consultant, which I have fond A few by now.

You are right about digging for the cc Remodeling Guy. I actually found a guy that will SEO on a percentage. We'll see how that works out. And Yes Haiko does help me a lot. I appreciate every bit of it. Mark Welch ignores most of my PM's. Has for nearly 2 years. Must be cuz I'm fat ?? I saved them all for when I have some spare time, then I can resend them all to him at once. Mark is a really nice guy though. Can't say why he ignores me, really. Perhaps I need to use the phone more often, Mark ?

Loxly, You seemed to have relaxed a bit w/ me since I joined ABW and I see that you are really trying to help, I sure thank you for it. So far I just have not found who I'm looking for. As far as SEO goes, I think I need to hire Haiko. Esp. for the marketing part.

So I'm still searching.

Steve

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread