Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question Need Help With Keyword Domain Name?
    Hello again guys! I have been researching hard in recent days. I have looked here on the forums as well as other places. I have gotten a couple blogs going & setup for AM. I still am posting content to get better presence on those blogs. These blogs are something I like & have personal knowledge about. I will be adding AM to them very soon.

Now, I'm wanting to start another blog in a solid interest of mine. I'm just having a hard time coming up with a domain name that doesn't fall into too much of a competition category.

This blog will be a "sports" blog that focuses on sports in general of all kinds. This would include baseball,basketball,football,nascar,tennis,etc.
    I read that it's better to focus on a particular "sport" rather than just sports in general. However, I follow all sports in detail & can write more blogs about several sports combined.

I want to keep my domain title to 3-4 keywords if possible. I have come up with a few keywords but will not mention them here yet. I want some ideas first. I do think that If I'm gonna blog about sports in general then the word "sport" has to be there. If I do focus on a particular sport then I have other keyword options but like I said I can type more articles about various sports.

Please give me better insight into this & also some possible keyword ideas for my domain as well. I know that I will be using the .com extension. Thanks!

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    What you really want is someone that has been there and done that, done their homework, and done the hit and miss to give YOU a short-cut....

methinks it won't happen, since you refuse to use the search function, research your market and do it on your own!...

Short cuts are cool.

You just won't find them here, since we are not about exposing what took us years to learn, but pushing you in a direction where you will learn it on your own.

Tough Love Mr Bologna.....

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

http and a telephoto
    some possible keyword ideas for my domain as well.
    Whoa! lol, dude, if someone takes the time to think up a domain name like that.... they are going to register it themselves.

Try tossing some words into a site like namboy.com. Registrars usually have a tool where you type what you are thinking of and they give you suggestions.

And FYI, don't use NASCAR in your domain name. They don't like that much.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by tonybologna
    This blog will be a "sports" blog that focuses on sports in general of all kinds. This would include baseball,basketball,football,nascar,tennis,etc.
    I read that it's better to focus on a particular "sport" rather than just sports in general. However, I follow all sports in detail & can write more blogs about several sports combined.
    Tony, at last count there were about a gazillion sports blogs. Unless yours is going to have something different to offer, it'll be doomed to obscurity.

So let's assume that you want to approach a sports blog from a unique perspective. Think about what will make it unique or different and try to incorporate that into the name.

Good luck.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Some of you guys are just harsh. I have been researching like I said with original post topic. It's not like I'm now posting question after question & not trying to help myself. I am a TOUGH GUY Remodeling Guy so let me have it.

I still will not set back to be ridiculed & bashed without a fight though. I think I've come a long way since starting to learn AM. I'm not bragging but I have done more than most "newbies" in trying to help myself.

It's that every time I post a topic there's just too many members here that like to be smart & cute. I don't mind having fun. I run my own business & know how to handle my customers. This isn't the same though as what I do with my current business. Can I take criticism? Why sure but I can also fight back & stand for myself.

There has been very few helpful members here on these forums thus far. Since I joined I have been warned by former & current members that's the way it works here. It's not that I don't care to learn & research. I know how to do that. I'm a survivor of prostate problems & I got myself better with "research" on the internet. I know how to help myself but some of you are down right irritable.

I could probably post my help topics on a general forum elsewhere & not see such actions & smart comments like I see here. If I wanted to be a kid again I'd go back to visit my childhood & ask some of you to be my parents. That's the way a lot of members come at me with your posts.

I can count on one hand the number of members here that have truly been helpful thus far. Again, I have been warned by other that's the way it is here. I still will not let members keep thrashing back at me with uncalled for comments. I came here for help & not to be treated like I'm back to childhood.

Now, if I didn't try to help myself & research then I'd understand better but that's not the case with me. Yes, I'm a "newbie" & that word has members "licking their chops", right? While I'm new to AM I do the right thing & try to help myself but that does no good here. I think there's good information here on the ABestWeb forums but I don't know about good members.

I think there's some smart AM members but helpful I have to question now due to every topic/post I make having uncalled for material. Now, who's gonna come at me next with something so I can crawl into my hole? Yeah right!

how about sportsMaggots.com? superCool has recently learned that the word "maggots" is a real up and comer in the fast paced world of domain names.

here's an idea that you might have already tried - go to google adwords keyword tool and key in "sports". then look at the other words that people are searching for when they search for "sports". then mix and match the words and see which ones are available.

rematt has a very good point about your blog being just another of 10 scillion sports blogs. it sounds like you want to do a generic sports blog because it will be easier for you to write more content, but will that be worth the price you pay for having a generic blog?

more content = good / non-specific focus = not so good. tough call

good luck tonybologna

I agree with the decision to focus (a specific sport is better than "sports"), but you might consider focusing even more. The more focused you are, the more comprehensively you'll be able to cover a subject.

An example of focusing:

General: Games
    More Specific: Chess
    Niche: Women in Chess
    More focused Niche: Women Grandmasters (for a site focus - the site demographics will be more broad than that)
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by superCool
    how about sportsMaggots.com? superCool has recently learned that the word "maggots" is a real up and comer in the fast paced world of domain names.

here's an idea that you might have already tried - go to google adwords keyword tool and key in "sports". then look at the other words that people are searching for when they search for "sports". then mix and match the words and see which ones are available.

rematt has a very good point about your blog being just another of 10 scillion sports blogs. it sounds like you want to do a generic sports blog because it will be easier for you to write more content, but will that be worth the price you pay for having a generic blog?

more content = good / non-specific focus = not so good. tough call

good luck tonybologna
    Now , that was a post I can handle. I have used Google Keywords a lot lately for helping me out. I have created 2 blogs now to get started. I'm looking for a 3rd one with the topic here at hand in this thread.

I have used sooooooooooo many combination of keywords to try & help me figure out a good domain that will drive traffic to my site. I have been looking for monthly searches of between 5000-10000 for my keyword combination.

You guys are right about being "specific" about material. You use the word "sport" instead of say "football" then it seems to broad of a topic.
    the keyword "football" has much lower searches & would lead me to less competition. However, blogging about sports material period seems like a big market nowadays.

I have looked into a few affiliate programs for sports related content & I have a few in mind. I found those here on the forums by searching & looking through the various sections.

One I really think most chat highly about is Football Fanatics. I also like the chat about Sports Fanfare as well. There are numerous other I've seen talk about as well. Fans Edge is another I seen recommended.

I just don't wanna pick the wrong ones. I'm just starting out with AM & need to get off to a good start. I know there's going to be ups & downs but want to match my content to the affiliate products I should use.

Has anybody used NFL Shop.com as an affiliate program? Let's say I decide to go with "pro football" as my main area for sports blogging. I see that FF deals with all types of sports. Would it be a good idea to go with affiliates that pertain to the one sport you're blogging about or multiple sports would be OK?

I can write articles about the "big 3" sports all day long. This is why I think having a broader focus would help me but I see the point in staying with a specific sport as well.

Let's say I go with "pro football" in the end. I know FF is highly recommended but what other affiliates seem to be good to work with? I understand that I can search around more about specific affiliates but I ask here because I don't want to work for companies that aren't fair or don't pay right. In other words, ones that are a good affiliate to partner with for business. Thanks!

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Try google insights. Type in 4 or 5 ideas in general words at the top. It will give you traffic levels.

Then at bottom you can flip between the lists of related terms. Then open another tab and try typing them to see if someone has the url already. Get a list of 4 or 5. then login to your registar and try to register all of them. Some will probably be taken but parked improperly. Pay for the ones you want. PM me the rest

Tony like it has been said before try to choose one sport to focus on, trying to do an "all sports blog will fail" I am not saying this to be mean just saying it because I have been there and done that.

Pick one sport and then after that gets established start another blog on another sport.

Quote Originally Posted by andbeyond
    Try google insights. Type in 4 or 5 ideas in general words at the top. It will give you traffic levels.

Then at bottom you can flip between the lists of related terms. Then open another tab and try typing them to see if someone has the url already. Get a list of 4 or 5. then login to your registar and try to register all of them. Some will probably be taken but parked improperly. Pay for the ones you want. PM me the rest
    Thanks for pointing me to that tool. I remember coming across that a while back but forgot to bookmark it. It's a little better than Google Keywords Tool but doesn't have the exact monthly search volume which helps me out.

@nyfalcon:

Tony like it has been said before try to choose one sport to focus on, trying to do an "all sports blog will fail" I am not saying this to be mean just saying it because I have been there and done that.

Pick one sport and then after that gets established start another blog on another sport.
    Perfectly understandable & you don't sound smart by any means. I'm looking at doing football I guess but haven't determined whether it be college,pro,or football in general. Any suggestions? Also, I'm a big-time Dallas Cowboys fan.

Should I focus on one team if I choose college or pro football? I would have either Dallas for NFL & Tennessee Vols as college to blog about. I still like the ability of writing about more than one team(general football) though. Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks for pointing me to that tool. I remember coming across that a while back but forgot to bookmark it. It's a little better than Google Keywords Tool but doesn't have the exact monthly search volume which helps me out.

@nyfalcon:

Perfectly understandable & you don't sound smart by any means. I'm looking at doing football I guess but haven't determined whether it be college,pro,or football in general. Any suggestions? Also, I'm a big-time Dallas Cowboys fan.

Should I focus on one team if I choose college or pro football? I would have either Dallas for NFL & Tennessee Vols as college to blog about. I still like the ability of writing about more than one team(general football) though. Let me know what you guys think!

Seems you won't go away, so here is a tidbit ....

If you are going to try and jump in w/ a term as popular as Sports ......

Try to start LOCAL ....

HoustonSportsConnection.com - NOT TAKEN

I think that is a great name, covers a huge area, many teams and many different sports.

houston-football.com - Not Taken - use the hyphens for search engine placement ..

Get local with a broad focus, or you have nowhere to expand..

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Typing domains for someone to use is almost like inviting a cybersquatter.

I suggest a PM.

If I had known you were a cowboys fans I wouldn't have offered advice

All kidding aside do a cowboys or a volunteers site and make it the best one.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by RemodelingGuy
    Seems you won't go away, so here is a tidbit ....

If you are going to try and jump in w/ a term as popular as Sports ......

Try to start LOCAL ....

HoustonSportsConnection.com - NOT TAKEN

I think that is a great name, covers a huge area, many teams and many different sports.

houston-football.com - Not Taken - use the hyphens for search engine placement ..

Get local with a broad focus, or you have nowhere to expand..
    No, Remodeling Guy I still haven't crawled into that hole you were trying to put me in.

Go away for what BTW? I'm trying to get better ideas from experienced people, right? I see nothing wrong with what I'm asking here.

You just come off as arrogant to me period with your posts towards me. I only ask for help & no need for posting this way to me.

I wish you'd go away now & just let some of the helpful others continue in the thread. Sorry, but that's the way I feel about all your post towards me. Like I said, I'm not gonna set back & take it without that fight back.

Not one posts has been anything but smart or arrogant in my topics. I assume your examples are your local area. I don't know even if these examples you're giving me is making fun or being serious due to your posting towards me. It's bad when you can't tell the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    If I had known you were a cowboys fans I wouldn't have offered advice

All kidding aside do a cowboys or a volunteers site and make it the best one.
    Cowboys fan too? I think I'll have 2 blogs now. One for Dallas & one for my Vols. That sounds like a winner to me. Thanks & GO COWBOYS!
    One other thing, which affiliate marketing company should I go with for football merchandise or does it matter if I choose a certain team to determine the company? I was thinking Football Fanatics. Thanks!

No, Remodeling Guy I still haven't crawled into that hole you were trying to put me in.

Go away for what BTW? I'm trying to get better ideas from experienced people, right? I see nothing wrong with what I'm asking here.

You just come off as arrogant to me period with your posts towards me. I only ask for help & no need for posting this way to me.

I wish you'd go away now & just let some of the helpful others continue in the thread. Sorry, but that's the way I feel about all your post towards me. Like I said, I'm not gonna set back & take it without that fight back.

Not one posts has been anything but smart or arrogant in my topics. I assume your examples are your local area. I don't know even if these examples you're giving me is making fun or being serious due to your posting towards me. It's bad when you can't tell the difference.

Nah! Haven't cared for your posts from the beginning, but offered you some constructive advice anyway!

I'll put you on my ignore list right now bro -

Quote Originally Posted by RemodelingGuy
    Nah! Haven't cared for your posts from the beginning, but offered you some constructive advice anyway!

I'll put you on my ignore list right now bro -
    Same here bro.........!

Tony Football fanatics would be the one I would choose. My problem now is that you have too much stuff going on. You should only have one blog and make that one the best it can be.

I am not a cowboys fan.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by nyfalcon
    Tony Football fanatics would be the one I would choose. My problem now is that you have too much stuff going on. You should only have one blog and make that one the best it can be.

I am not a cowboys fan.
    I misread your post. I thought you said you were a Cowboys fan. Thanks for the advice anyway. I agree with ya I'll stick with one blog for now. Thanks!

Now you're getting the picture! The more specific you can make it, the easier it will be to become an authority on the subject. You'll probably never become an authority on football or sports. But it's much, much easier to become an authority on a team. Or a player. Or Cowboys rookies. Or Dallas Cowboy tailgating. Or some other unique aspect.

Just because you're focused on something specific doesn't mean you can't write about more general things from time to time.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Now you're getting the picture! The more specific you can make it, the easier it will be to become an authority on the subject. You'll probably never become an authority on football or sports. But it's much, much easier to become an authority on a team. Or a player. Or Cowboys rookies. Or Dallas Cowboy tailgating. Or some other unique aspect.

Just because you're focused on something specific doesn't mean you can't write about more general things from time to time.
    Sounds great! I know I'll be focusing a lot on "Jason Witten" for the Cowboys from my blog. He's a local guy that I have watched play high school football & followed all his career. Thanks!

Hey again guys! Well, I made my choice for the blog name & sports type. The problem is that I can't decide on which affiliate program to join. Let me say that I've already been accepted by both CJ & SAS for affiliate marketing.

The problem is that there's just so many to choose from. I have read reviews about some of them but most of the reviews only tell about how the affiliate program works & not about sales data,support,or software tracking.

I have been told in this thread that Football Fanatics was the one to choose. Well, I have seen a lot of chat about them but there's others that seem to have better earnings reported from CJ.

I seen FansEdge listed with more earnings from the CJ listings. There are a couple others but really doesn't exactly match my site content but in the general area. Collegejerseys.com is another one that caught my eye.

My site is about sports blogging & updated sports information. I'm looking to advertise sports apparel,merchandise,& memorabilia. There are quite a few affiliate programs to look at here in this area but I can't decide which one(s) are better. Can you go with more than one program to post banners & links from your website?

Also, is it OK to use both CJ & SAS to join different programs? I see a few of the same programs from both & just want to pick the one(s) that are right for my site to do AM. Again, I have researched this but not enough good reviews to persuade me or help me determine the ones to sign-up with. Thanks!

Also, is it OK to use both CJ & SAS to join different programs? I see a few of the same programs from both & just want to pick the one(s) that are right for my site to do AM. Again, I have researched this but not enough good reviews to persuade me or help me determine the ones to sign-up with. Thanks!
    1. This is another question and no longer relates to your original domain name thread. Probably should be split off into another thread.

2. I'm not sure why this thread is in the Fitness/Sports forum to begin with as this forum is a "social" forum more than a biz one.

You can join as many programs and display as many merchants as you want from different networks. Just because a merchant has a high EPC doesn't mean that your site automatically will produce the same results (& vice versa—a low-performing merchant can do well if you selectively target products that specifically appeal to your site's visitors). A merchant who does well one year may fall down the next. It's an ever-changing landscape and you'll have to continually test to see how different merchants perform on your site.

There is plenty of material on ABW about which networks (& merchants) are parasite-free, the pros/cons of datafeed sites, banners vs. product displays, etc.

Just because a few people jump in and say "this program is best" doesn't mean it will perform well for you. It's what your site brings to the mix, how you drive traffic, how targeted the traffic is, banner or product placement relevancy, whether or not the merchant allows parasites...the success equation has many parts, these are but a few. Read some of the ParasiteWare forum threads which will help you learn about other issues you need to consider when selecting a merchant or network.

Is any top affiliate going to share that they're having fabulous results with a particular program? While we're friends here, we're also competitors. Please realize that you're asking competitors for what's in their secret sauce. You may not receive an answer for this one.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd
    1. This is another question and no longer relates to your original domain name thread. Probably should be split off into another thread.

2. I'm not sure why this thread is in the Fitness/Sports forum to begin with as this forum is a "social" forum more than a biz one.

You can join as many programs and display as many merchants as you want from different networks. Just because a merchant has a high EPC doesn't mean that your site automatically will produce the same results (& vice versa—a low-performing merchant can do well if you selectively target products that specifically appeal to your site's visitors). A merchant who does well one year may fall down the next. It's an ever-changing landscape and you'll have to continually test to see how different merchants perform on your site.

There is plenty of material on ABW about which networks (& merchants) are parasite-free, the pros/cons of datafeed sites, banners vs. product displays, etc.

Just because a few people jump in and say "this program is best" doesn't mean it will perform well for you. It's what your site brings to the mix, how you drive traffic, how targeted the traffic is, banner or product placement relevancy, whether or not the merchant allows parasites...the success equation has many parts, these are but a few. Read some of the ParasiteWare forum threads which will help you learn about other issues you need to consider when selecting a merchant or network.

Is any top affiliate going to share that they're having fabulous results with a particular program? While we're friends here, we're also competitors. Please realize that you're asking competitors for what's in their secret sauce. You may not receive an answer for this one.
    BAM!!!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast