Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Quitting Smoking?
    Hi all,

So I read Rematt's thread about quitting smoking a while back and saw the thread in the new program announcement for the Electronic cigarette, and have some questions for you all.

While I'm not a smoker, my husband is and he's been trying to quit for quite some time. He's tried most of the products on the market, without much luck. Has anyone here tried the e-ciggs and what are your thoughts? Would it be an aid to quit smoking?

He gets an allergic reaction to the patches, the gum doesn't do much for him, and I was just wondering if this is a way to 'phase out' cigarretes. I think it's more the habit of smoking than the nicotine, so wondering if stepping down the nicotine cartridges in these will help out.

Does anyone have any thoughts / ideas?

Thanks!!
    [B][COLOR=Navy]Nadia Levine (van Rooyen)[/COLOR][/B]
    Senior Manager, Affiliate Practice at Vantage Media
    nlevine(at)VantageMedia.com

I saw that thread too and was somewhat intrigued. I've always been curious as to how the patch, nicotine gum and now the e-cigs would help someone stop smoking since they are all just different nicotine delivery systems. I think you may be right that it's more the habit of smoking.

I suppose your husband could use the e-cigs to gradually reduce nicotine intake until he's totally weened himself off of nicotine. The advantage over cigarettes would be no tar, no second hand smoke and no restrictions on use.

He may want to do a little more research before pursuing this method though, I believe in the same thread someone mentioned that Canada was trying to ban them, I can only assume it's due to some safety or health issue.

Non-smokers don't really understand how strong a nicotine addiction can be for some people. I was lucky that I was able to stop fairly easily (however a year and a half later, I still crave a smoke sometimes) but I have friends that have tried everything from injections (IN THE NOSE) to hypnosis without any lasting results so I can appreciate your husband's struggle.

There were three things that helped me to stop. The first was a lack of support, I didn't tell anyone that I had stopped until about two weeks after I stopped. That way there were no constant questions as to how I was doing and other reminders from well meaning friends. And no pressure to succeed.

The second thing that helped was that I kept an unopened pack with me at all times. That way I knew that if I wanted to smoke I could (another reason that I didn't tell anyone). There were plenty of times when I took that pack out and was tempted to open it. Each time I was able to convince myself that I could hold out a few more minutes. After a few days I didn't need the pack anymore.

The third thing that helped me was exercise. I'd much rather play a sport than go to a gym and I've always been fairly active, but for that first couple of weeks I went through some pretty intensive workouts. To the point that I was too tired to move, much less smoke.

But I don't believe there's a one size fits all when it comes to stopping. It's going to be different for everyone and tougher for some than others. I'm sure if your husband keeps at it he'll find what works for him. I wish him luck.

-rematt

BTW, tell him that you gain weight when you stop smoking because EVERYTHING TASTES BETTER.
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Thanks Rematt - I appreciate your insight. That's the same thought I had as far as getting off the nicotine before the 'habit' of smoking.

I'll have him read your post about how you quit - sounds like you have phenomenal will power - congrats

I'll try and dig up info on the reasons why Canada would ban them, certainly wouldn't want to trade one health / safety issue for another.

Thanks again!

Hey so I have been quit for 40 days and on the patch, now on level 2 which delivers 14mgs of nicoteen/day. As I see it, even though I am still consuming nicoteen I am not consuming all the other horrible things you inhale when you smoke a cigarette. This is the longest time I ever quit, as of course I have tried before....sunnypi when your husband used the patch does he get a small rash on the site of the patch and really vivid dreams, if he does and thats what he is allergic to then that is a normal part and everyone who uses it will get. The patch works if you really want to quit. I quit smoking on may 30th at 5:30 PM I still had cigarettes and wasn't even planning to quit I already had the supplies from my previous attempts. When it is time it will just come....ecigs patch gum cold turkey chantix naturopathic, what ever if you are not ready none of them will work and we will always make excuses and put it off. Best of luck to your husband with his smoking.
    I attract success and abundance into my life because that is who I am.

Thanks Snappy. I totally agree with the last past of your post that until he's ready to quit he won't really do it. I get a feeling that's the underlying issues. He says he wants to quit, but we'll see. He's going to give the e-ciggs a shot (once I figure out why Canada wants to ban them), and I'll keep everyone updated on whether it works.

The rash he got from the patch is similar to what you described, but it ended up over the entire top half of his arm, not just around the patch.

Good job on being smoke free for 43 days!

Like most smokers, I tried many times and methods to quit. My problem was I didn't and still don't want to quit smoking. My son had gave me the smoking everywhere ecigarette for Christmas. It wasn't working so he tried different ones. Just so you know, I was smoking two to three pack a day. I believe that was probably why none of the mini ecigarettes were working for me.
    He finally ordered the longer version and I feel in love. On some of the boards for the ecigarette they were talking about how they didn't even like the real cigarettes any more. I was confused about that until my long pen.
    My doctor doesn't even consider the ecigarette smoking. My body doesn't agree. It believe I am smoking, plus I am allowed back in the house. I feel like I can have my cake and smoke it too.

Ok so how is that going to help you quit, now you will be addicted to the ecig. You make no sense sueapitman. Now you can "smoke in the house?" Doesn't quitting entail some sort of plan to stop where is a plan with the ecig?

I understand what you are saying. If you want to quit, like the other nicotine replacement therapies, you can gradually lower your nicotine levels. You can even get them with no nicotine for those who want to still have the feeling of the smoke when you inhale. Unlike the smoke in real cigarettes, the smoke in the ecig is said to be completely safe, basically water vapor.
    In my case, as I said, I never really wanted to quit. In danger of sounding like I am making excuses, I have found that there is actually scientific studies claiming that the nicotine in cigarettes has some positive effects. For people like myself, with neurological problems, it actually helps. Hence the reason my doctor is for it in my case, I suppose. The addiction is the biggest negative side effect, but I am already addicted. Al least now I am not inhaling all the cancer causing chemicals in cigarettes.

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by sueapitman
    I have found that there is actually scientific studies claiming that the nicotine in cigarettes has some positive effects.
    I would really love to know your source for that statement......not being sarcastic either.

Thank you

Your very welcome.

Hi just to add to this
    I have been reading you discussion and found that its a good place to share my thoughts on how to quit smoking.

Well i had many friends who were able to quit smoking using help of medicine. The medicine they told was champix, which is also called chantix in US.

I hope that will help to further enhance motivation to quit smoking among people who are not able to quit.

To know more about chantix or champix find out on net or can contact me.

Regards,

A motivational series, smokers lungs images:
    http://images.google.com/images?q=sm...N&hl=en&tab=wi
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

I signed up at quitnet.com when I quit smoking in January (cold turkey... combined with starting karate to circumvent the insomnia I get). When I fell off the wagon about two months ago, quitnet's emails kept making me feel guilty about smoking again... not sure how much that helped, but I'm back on the no-smoking train, and hoping to stay here.

thanks for everyone's responses so far. Not much has really changed so far on my hubby's end, but we'll keep trying and see what happens. Appreciate all the feedback.

You will certainly get success, will pray for it
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnypi
    thanks for everyone's responses so far. Not much has really changed so far on my hubby's end, but we'll keep trying and see what happens. Appreciate all the feedback.
    Well have you tried champix for that. I have read many reviews and people have really got good success apart from my friends that i have described. I think Champix will really work if you have not tried.

Do let me know whether you have tried it or not.

Regards,

I think they're a good idea, just be careful you don't spend too much on them. My mum's been on nicorette inhalators for years, they cost a lot more than cigarettes.

those e-cig's have propylene glycol in the cartridges which is basically anti-freeze. also, chantix has a lot of side effects. the best way to get somebody to stop smoking is to take them to a place where people are getting chemo. it worked for me, as i could not light up again during that trip (nor since).

I'd like to recommend a book that has very positive thinking through out it, The Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr.

I downloaded it, read it and felt really good after I read it. Unfortunately, I think I read it too fast. I think it needs to be a book that you read over a longer period of time for all the info to really sink in. (I read it in about 3 hours).

We all know that smoking is bad for us and all those dreaded images of nasty lungs don't mean anything to most of us.

When I'm ready to try again, I will start with reading this book for the second time.
    I disagree with Kay Jewelers. I would bet on any given Friday or Saturday night more kisses begin with Bud Lite than Kay.

Thumbs up Electronic Cigarettes Have Worked For Me
    I have been off smokes now for 49 days using an electronic cigarette.

I have smoked two packs a day for 23 years.

These things really work! They are controversial right now, as any successful new product is. They are defiantly working, and defiantly better than inhaling all that crap in a regular smoke.

I actually have a blog devoted to the effort and how my progress is going, would post here but it has affiliate links on it, PM if you would like to see the site and my story so far....

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Hi all,

So I read Rematt's thread about quitting smoking a while back and saw the thread in the new program announcement for the Electronic cigarette, and have some questions for you all.

While I'm not a smoker, my husband is and he's been trying to quit for quite some time. He's tried most of the products on the market, without much luck. Has anyone here tried the e-ciggs and what are your thoughts? Would it be an aid to quit smoking?

He gets an allergic reaction to the patches, the gum doesn't do much for him, and I was just wondering if this is a way to 'phase out' cigarretes. I think it's more the habit of smoking than the nicotine, so wondering if stepping down the nicotine cartridges in these will help out.

Does anyone have any thoughts / ideas?

Thanks!!

Cigarettes are a slow means to KILL YOUR SELF...

EVERYONE with a little intelligence knows that..

I dip Grizzly.....

Another sure way to eminate DEATH!

???????

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

He's going to give the e-ciggs a shot (once I figure out why Canada wants to ban them), and I'll keep everyone updated on whether it works.
    Did he ever try the e-ciggs? I just ordered the free trial, although they are on back order for 4 weeks. When I get them, I'll report my findings I smoke a lot. Have since I was 15. If I get any sense of satisfaction from the e-ciggs I'll let your know.

I read the ban is because it can still cause an addiction to nicotine and might promote kids to smoke who do not smoke - but I'm not sure.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

hey Leeann,

nope, he hasn't quit yet... lmk what you think about the e-ciggs, he's been smoking for almost 10 years so I know it won't be easy, but he knows he has to quit somehow.

Thanks for all the other suggestions too, both his parents passed away from cancer at a young age, so he's seen the chemo first hand, but didn't seem to have a huge effect on his smoking. We were also planning on trying Chantix, but depression runs in his family so we're unsure about some of the side effects...

I'll keep everyone posted and maybe by ASW I'll have some news that he's stopped.... I like positive thinking too, just got to get through Monday and we'll get started

try to divert attention other than smoking like exercise, sports

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast