Search Phrase Length and Conversions
    Conventional wisdom says that the more specific a search is, the better the quality. I did some analysis of some of my keyword phrases and compared the conversion ratio, and found some interesting things that confirm that (to an extent) but also an interesting exception.

One word keywords performed the worst, by far. The best performers were 5 word keywords, although 3, 4, and 6 weren't far behind. 7 word keywords were very low converters, though.

Without giving away my conversion ratios, here are how the various lengths and how they performed, relative to 5 word phrases:

1 word: 20%
    2 words: 53%
    3 words: 77%
    4 words: 80%
    5 words: 100%
    6 words: 81%
    7 words: 29%
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    >>One word keywords performed the worst, by far.

Years ago Vivid ranked #1 on AOL for "SEX" for 90 days.
    There were NO conversions!

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Usually long tail (LT) Keywords perform much better in terms of conversion.

But one would need to consider the volume that one would get from LT. It might be doing great in conversion but it gets one conversion every other month as opposed to 2 keywords terms.

One need to evaluate between:
    COST(MARGIN) vs VOLUME

That's the conventional wisdom, but with my keywords the conversions dropped off when the search term was more than 5 words long. I'm curious if that's just some sort of statistical anomaly, something unique to my terms, or if it's more universal. One possibility is that very, very detailed search terms are looking for very specific things about products, rather than being interested in buying the products.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Michael,

How are you able to track these conversion rates?

Do you have a seperate landing page for each term?

I'd love to be able to do this.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

I'm curious if you've split out the "types of searches" that make up these multi-word search phrases. Let's face it, there are some dramatically different search phrases that will have very different conversion rates.

One A/B test might be comparing "product-specific" search-phrases to "question-format" search phrases of the same length. And of course there are some "negative keyword" implications from some longer search-phrases.

For example, here are some multi-word search phrases, and my predicted conversion rates (relative to the group):

Epson Stylus Photo 1400 - - OK/low
    Epson Stylus Photo 1400 price - high
    Epson Stylus Photo 1400 manual - low
    Epson Stylus Photo 1400 repair - low
    Epson Stylus Photo 1400 black ink - high
    Epson 1400 T079120 cartridge - very high
    Epson T079120 - very high

Where can I find free coupons - low
    Where can I find Macy's coupons - OK/low
    Free shipping coupon tfaw - very high

Michael Jackson's kids' names - zero
    Where did Michael Jackson die - zero
    Where to find Michael Jackson CDs - OK/high
    Where to buy Michael Jackson CDs - high
    Buy Michael Jackson Bad CD - high

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    One word keywords performed the worst, by far. The best performers were 5 word keywords, although 3, 4, and 6 weren't far behind. 7 word keywords were very low converters, though.
    I've had similar experiences with four and five word keywords with PPC. I don't bid one word keywords and very few two word keywords so a comparison is difficult. The two word keywords that I have bid appear at first glance to have somewhat lower conversion rates then you noted.

I have very few six word keywords with close to zero conversions and nothing higher to compare. Four and five word keywords have proven to be the most effective for my sites and at first glance appear to be running neck and neck as far as percentages go. They also are great bargains comparatively speaking so I tend to focus more on them.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RemodelingGuy
    Michael,

How are you able to track these conversion rates?

Do you have a seperate landing page for each term?

I'd love to be able to do this.
    Guess this was a stupid question?

You are talking about PPC impressions vs. click thrus using analytics, right?

Not CTR to sales conversions?

???????????

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    Four and five word keywords have proven to be the most effective for my sites and at first glance appear to be running neck and neck as far as percentages go.
    What about the match type? How does that factor in.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    One A/B test might be comparing "product-specific" search-phrases to "question-format" search phrases of the same length.
    superCool was going to mention question format phrases as well. superCool thinks that people who ask Google questions probably don't know what they're doing on the internet, and are probably afraid to buy anything. there are still people who are too scared to buy online. are these the question askers?

some foreigners also seem to use words like "and" and "or" more than people from the US.

long tail is very interesting. if you had a bunch of great data you could really learn a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    What about the match type? How does that factor in.
    For three or more word keywords I typically start with a phrase match. Broad defeats the purpose of a long tail keyword and usually at three or more words they're specific enough that a narrow match tends to exclude them from search completely.

Notice I said typically, I monitor new campaigns closely and I'm very quick to make adjustments, but phrase has worked pretty well in most situations.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

I would never use broad anymore, it's too broad.

My numbers agree with the OP's numbers. The point of diminishing returns seems to be 7 words. It's funny that all these fancy ass keyword tools spit out 1,2 and 3 word keywords mainly. You have to manufacture the converting long tail usually.

This is great thread for newbie,Michael and friends thanks for coments

Good information here ... I try not to use the one word keywords, but that depends on what I want to accomplish.

For example: You have some CPM banners on your site. You add up the total return - say they are $3/CPM each and you have 4 of them. Well that is $12/CPM for the page you have them on. If you pay ONE cent per click, you are really paying $10/CPM ... so that YOUR CPM banners will make you a profit if you put that page up 'run of network.' Plus, you might actually make a sale once in a while.

The point is you get higher traffic over all. Then you should do 3, 4, 5 and 6 keyword straight PPC to generate the sales. Product names or models with the word 'coupon'
    or 'discount coupon' or 'free shipping' get more interested real buyers than most other phrases.

For example: "Epson Stylus Photo Discount Coupon" or "Epson Stylus Photo Printer Coupon" or "Free Shipping: Epson Stylus Photo Printer" or "Discount Coupon: Epson Stylus Photo Printer

Here's are a couple of examples of an ad formats that works:

Title: Epson Stylus Photo Printer.
    Body: Buy YOUR Epson Stylus Photo Printer For Less With Our X% Discount Coupon And FREE Shipping.

Note: You can put the model number between Photo and printer to be more specifici.
    If it is cartridges you are selling, replace printer with cartridges.

Title: Need A High Quality Printer?
    Body: Buy A Highly Rated Epson Stylus T079120 Printer For Less. Use Our X% Discount Coupon. FREE Shipping.

Title: Need A New Printer?
    Body: Get The Consumer Report Number One Rated Best Buy Epson Stylus T079120
    For Less. Use Our X% Discount Coupon. FREE Shipping.

Seriously, if you do not have a subscription to Consumer Reports you are a affiliate marketing fool. No other 3rd party recommendation carries as much positive VALUE to
    buyers in the USA. Each issure gives you ideas on what products to focus on by brand and model. And you will find some stuff where you can get PPC and buyers for the minimum or slightly higher on specific keywords related to those products or services.

The point is that Consumer Report readers once they check out the issue go to the net to SEARCH for those products. CR has a huge subscription base to draw searchers for specific products from.

You can do this trick with subscriptions to "This Old House Magazine" and all sorts of other NICHE specific magazines.

I subscribe to dozens of TRADE MAGAZINES that you can get for FREE. But most AM are too stupid to get the free subscriptions. What you do is go thru each issue and see what the editors and such are recommending. Then find out who is selling that product and go make a page for it - especially if the seller has a coupon attached.
    Then post some PPC keywords and see what happens.

For example: There is an obscure trade magazine called 'Automated Builder.' The deal in building construction done in a factory. Duh. They have 60,000 subscribers. If they recommend a product or service their readers are likely to go search for it online. If you have a sales page for it first ... Bingo, you get the traffic and since the sales are almost always to a business, the sales amount is higher than to individuals.

Also, classified ads in these magazines are CHEAP for what you get: SUPER TARGETTED
    POTENTIAL BUYERS. And most have subscriber bases of more than 25,000. Here's how you do it:

Headline: If YOU Need A (Name The Product) At A Discount Price, Then Visit Our Website: (Put URL here in BOLD.)

Or something similar: The IF wording followed by the THEN action call WORKS Big Time. Another one is: FREE INFORMATION WORTH A FORTUNE (BOLD) Headline. Followed by: Discover How You Can (Benefit Word Like PROFIT) From (PRODUCT, SERVICE or IDEA. Visit Our Website: (Put URL in Bold here).

Sometimes they charge by word and sometimes by line. You need to see which and go from there. You can usually get a HUGE discount if you buy multiple issue ads.

That's how you do, money for almost nothing but the chicks are never free.

after your great coments,one simply question: what is the best way to find or what is the base for starting serching ,for example: 5 words phrase regarding product what I want to promote ?
    Regadrs
    Duka

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread