You may say I'm a dreamer...
    "Mom, what does "white" mean?"

That's what my 8 year old son asked me when someone on TV said something about Michael Jackson's children.

It stopped me in my tracks.

Growing up I heard racial comments daily. I heard the "n" word every single day and had no idea that is was bad. It was the cruel word of choice. But don't think it was anywhere close to being the only word of prejudice I heard.

The older that I got, the more that I thought for myself and couldn't believe there had ever been a time when I didn't know better. Classifying people by race, gender or religion seems absolutely unfathomable to me now. I still hear those same comments from those same people today.

I knew that my kids would NOT grow up drawing a line between people. And to hear my son say that brought tears to my eyes.

Imagine if ever child in this world made it to 8 years of age and was still unaware that people are classified by the color of their skin or their religion. Not that he doesn't know that we all look different from each other but that we are not put into categories.

Imagine if every person made it to eighteen and still felt that way.

Imagine if every person made it to eighty and still felt that way......

http and a telephoto
    It's a nice dream, but unfortunately in the real world there are still too many people that judge others by their race or yes even their sex.

Someday.....
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I agree with Loxly and unfortunately some of the people I know who think like that are church going people who don't seem to think there's anything wrong with that kinda thinking. For the life of me, can't understand how that can be at all.

I grew up with a Mom who was completely color blind and every other kinda blind when it came to people. I never heard any of the bad words til I got to be a teenager and not sure if am like you and a dreamer but can't understand that at all. People are people regardless of race, sex, religion or whatever. Are good people and then some not so good people.

I tend to get myself in trouble cos too often I try to look too hard to see the good in people but can't understand at all (the kind where ya just wanna bang your head against the wall cos makes absolutely no sense at all. Those things drive me crazy cos I always try to make sense of things and when I can't ...just drives me crazy lol ) but just can not understand why anybody would form an opinion of anybody from what they look like, sound like or whatever.

So.....am realistic enough that I agree with Loxly but definitely am waaaaay too much the dreamer lol that definitely hope there's some hope for us all that some day people won't judge others by their race, religion, sex or whatever. And......hope that day comes very soon.

Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by bettylou
    "Mom, what does "white" mean?"

That's what my 8 year old son asked me when someone on TV said something about Michael Jackson's children.
    Quote Originally Posted by purplebear
    People are people regardless of race, sex, religion or whatever. Are good people and then some not so good people.

some day people won't judge others by their race, religion, sex or whatever. And......hope that day comes very soon.
    Black Or White By: Michael Jackson

Bettylou,

You aren't dreaming. It is just going to take a collective effort on a lot of people's part to make that change.

Check this out....

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=121678

Horrible. Horrible that your son has to see headlines like this and most of all that MJs kids have to read headlines like this.

You are not dreaming. Keep raising your son like you are. Sounds like you're doing a heck of a job. I wish all 8 year olds and 80 year old didn't understand what "white" or "black" meant in the sense that it should divide us. Cause it shouldn't.

You aren't dreaming. We all just have to look at that "man/woman" in the mirror and make that change.

Believe in the dream and it will happen.

Love can conquer hate. Education can overcome ignorance.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    People that don't have the brain power to look at individuals as individuals, should be rounded up and deported to some island in the middle of the ocean.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Peace....that's the key.

While prejudice still exists in our world, its an amazing thing to see change in the way that we perceive others. From the way a child sees another. No our country is not perfect but the general mass is moving forward in leaving the prejudgment of another by the way they look or where they came from. A man/woman should be seen in his/her singular existence. Someday we may get their but till then we should strive toward that goal and not be disheartened, or use as and excuse, the slowness of progression.

we can learn so much from kids! my son finds the smallest things to be captivating.
    At what point do we become as jaded as we are?!
    Jason
    [url=http://www.bhphoto.com/]B&H Photo[/url] :|: [url=http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/affiliates.jsp]Join Our Affiliate Program[/url] :|: [URL=https://signup.cj.com/member/brandedPublisherSignUp.do?air_refmerchantid=2478435]Join on CJ[/URL]
    email: Jasonn at BHphoto.com

Agree that children definitely are the hope for the future.

"At what point do we become as jaded as we are?!"
    Think a lot depends on what a person sees around them. If you live in a neighborhood that looks at everybody as the same you have a more positive or maybe hopeful attitude. Another person lives where thinking is different, they'd probably have a different attitude. Guess a person's individual experiences maybe?

I'm definitely waaaaay too much the dreamer for a lotta things so definitely hope to see the day where nobody's opinion is formed by how a person looks, etc. and definitely hope that comes sooooooon Realistically tho...just not sure how soon that will be unfortunately

On a positive note things are way better than they where just 65 years ago. We don't have perfection yet, but we are moving in the right direction. The proof is all around us. No matter who you voted for last November the result has to be good for the issues that started this thread.

Definitely do agree with you on that

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    bettylou, you're doing the right thing by your son, teaching him not to judge or condemn - today's parents will ultimately create a color neutral world - My kids heard plenty of racial slurs (for all manner of "others") from members of my and their father's family yet they don't see *color* or religion or any form of difference in people. Folks is folks. Some are cool, some are a$$holes and some are just plain boring. The ones my kids see as a$$holes are the bigots in the world. I'm proud of their open hearts. The greatest lesson we can teach our kids is to be loving human beings because they will be the ones to counter hatred and evil in the world with loving hearts.

Teaching by example goes a long way. Eventually, more people than not on earth will accept every other human as his/her brother/sister and the world will be cleansed of ignorance and prejudice.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador Stephanie Lichtenstein's Avatar
    That's beautiful Bettylou, thanks for sharing!
    @MicroSteph | Stephanie Lichtenstein
    President of Micro Media Marketing
    Outsourced Social Media Management
    Get Connected: LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | AIM: AffiliateLady | Skype: StephanieLichtenstein

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread