Do I need my own tracking system?
    I am getting my feet wet with affiliate marketing so please bear with me.

I am helping out a company start with affiliate marketing. I got an affiliate network getting ready and will be putting their pixel on the company's confirmation page.

The affiliate network will have their tracking through pixel. The company will have tracking with their back-end system.

Should I set up tracking on my own so that I can mediate any disputes between the 2 parties?

Is there any other reason why I would want to set up my own tracking? And if so, what software/service can I use?

ABW Ambassador
    >>The affiliate network will have their tracking through pixel.

What network?

There are a couple that I am looking at. But I am thinking about CPA Storm.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Yes.

I would assume there is some tracking already in place and it will likely suffice with some minor tweaking. If for no other reason, you want it to track things the network cannot track.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Thanks Matt. Should I use something like DirectTrack or is there service that I can use for tracking?

I definitely believe that it's critically important to have your own tracking in place, in order to properly monitor and determine if anything inappropriate is happening (cookie stuffing, for example). Google Analytics has some flaws, but it's certainly a nice tool to use for cross-checking against other data. An in-house solution, running on your server, would be the most accurate/complete. DirectTrack would be overkill.

Thanks Mark! Great idea about using Google Analytics. I will play around with it and see if has all of the data that I need, but I first blush it looks like it does.

GA may be just enough. I have always recommended an in-house, proprietary solution if you can get the programmers and have the money. It is just easier that way as you can always have exactly what you want and need.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

One critically important point about Google conversion tracking: it can be spoofed (thus creating the appearance of a transaction which never actually happened), depending on how you configure it. A skilled click-fraud or lead-fraud operation could rob you blind if you rely on any tools that can be spoofed.

Thanks for the heads up. How about if we give each conversion a unique transaction ID and then ensure that each transaction id is not re-used?

Will that be enough to stop the spoofing? Or should I look into this further?

I looked into Google Analytics and it doesn't seem to have everything that we need. So I did some more research and it looks like iDev will and is pretty cheap. I think that I would do their hosted version to ease setup.

Does anybody have any experience with this and any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by aff_terry
    I looked into Google Analytics and it doesn't seem to have everything that we need. So I did some more research and it looks like iDev will and is pretty cheap. I think that I would do their hosted version to ease setup.

Does anybody have any experience with this and any thoughts?
    Well I just had a good talk with Stephen at earthsolution.com yesterday about this as he had asked on another thread on here.

Stay away from iDev. I am convinced it will give you more headaches than it will information.

I will spare the board ALL of my rantings about it, but I would be more than happy to share them with you on the phone.
    Matt McWilliams

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread