Better to show prices in shop or not?
    Which do you have more success with.....showing the prices in your shop or not showing so they will have to click on the item?

ABW Ambassador
    porkchop - Just my experience but when I started showing the prices of the products my sales went up big time.

I don't really understand the logic that might support the idea of not showing prices.

If I have a web site where I write about [a topic], and I decide to include links to some products, why wouldn't I include the pricing? If I believed that showing the prices would reduce the click-through rate, then by not showing the prices I'd be wasting the time of visitors who aren't interested in the product at that price. In the other direction, some folks who are interested in the product might not click on your link if no price is shown, because they might assume that the price would be too high.

Price is an incredible "qualifier" and "disqualifier" at the exact same time. If you have the choice of whether pricing is included or excluded in advertising, I think you should always choose to include it.

I'll go one step further: if possible, it makes sense to include other relevant information (such as the shipping cost, or the availability of overnight shipping), since those factors may be important to some visitors.
    Last edited by markwelch; July 13th, 2009 at 04:28 PM.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    One of the great benefits of Popshops is the dynamic pricing - you expect that prices will always be up-to-date. Why not take advantage of this?
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

If it saves your customer time and is of value to them, I'd add it. So to show the pricing before hand instead of having the customer click through every single product, is a benefit for the visitor. Otherwise they will just exit your page and move on to some other site. Also, if an item is on sale, you are able to display that as an added incentive to purchase if visitor is price sensitive.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I think showing prices cuts down on "idiot clicks" and improves conversion. If the customer already knows the price, they're much less likely to click if they're not serious buyers.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Thanks for all your opinions. Once in a while I will show some products (like gift ideas)with no prices when I think a particular item is a little overpriced. By showing the high price I think that would scare away clicks and maybe by showing a item of interest without a price they will click on it and then shop around and buy something else at the site. So, sometimes I think no price can work.

One question for you all, that is sorta related to this price question,... Do you show MERCHANT NAMES in your shops? I have thought about this and currently I do not but I think that it may be useful if visitors are just looking to purchase items from one particular merchant only but I don't for fear that they will click away and then go directly to the merchant's site instead. However it may be useful to have the merchant's name especially in a shop that has multiple merchants displayed.

Ladidah I share your fear of they will go directly to that merchant rather than clicking on your item so...I don't show merchant names.

ABW Ambassador
    Ladidah - I'm with you on this one. I don't show the merchant name either for the same reason. I can see how it would benefit comparsion sites but not a good fit for my websites.

I think it's important to show merchants' names, because consumers may click on one link and not like what they see, and then return to your site. If they can't see that the other links are to different merchants than the one they didn't like, they won't click anything else.

Good point Mark. I like your thinking but I like to give the impression that my site is the one selling the products. If you have all these different merchant names it takes away from that and takes us back to the point that the shopper may go directly to the merchant and not click on the item.

I opt NOT to show merchant names as well and even edit them out when they are part of the description.

Today I see that Blair has added "at Blair.com" to every product (in the GAN feed). That's a bit much if you ask me, but I guess it's their right to do so. Means more editing for me. The downside is that I can't control the auto feed pages.

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

I rarely show merchant names, simply because I don't think most of my site visitors recognize the merchants and react one way or the other. I mean, how many people are going to think "CSN Stores" means anything to them? Probably haven't heard of such merchants as "CSN Stores" or "Home Living Style," etc.
    Generate more fake news.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread