Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Don't you just love these e-mails.
    I just received this e-mail from CallawayGolfPreowned:

In effort to streamline our operations, affiliates must produce revenue each calendar year. We value our relationship with you and would like to assist in any way possible with helping you achieve that goal. Since you have not produced revenue year to date we would like to encourage you to do so by August 31, 2009. In the event that you do not produce any revenue, we will be terminating our relationship at that time.

They will be taken off my sites tomorrow.
    Danny W Bonin Jr
    Bonin Group, Inc.

I'm getting trigger happy on these things too. How far can you go working with the unknowing anyway?

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Dumb. For the 100th time, what does it cost to have an inactive affiliate?

Oh yeah...nothing!
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

What I find absolutely hilarious about these e-mails is that they haven't realized that a threat is only effective if you have something to lose. The fact that an affiliate hasn't generated any business for them yet should tell them that they don't have anything to threaten them with.

Duh, I better get crackin'. I sho don't wanna lose all them thar commissions that I didn't earn with them already by golly".
    Most likely results from e-mails like this:

- Affiliate gets pissed enough to promote your competitor.

- Affiliate gets pissed enough to hold you up to ridicule on a public forum.

Least likely result:

- That affiliate will ever send you any business after receiving this e-mail.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

I got one of those insane emails as well. Goodbye to them.

Maybe part of their problem is that they can't convert the traffic we sned them. Isn't that their responsibility?

I actually replied to their stupid email with:
    "Seems like you're making a lot of friends with this decision:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...042#post947042

Goodbye!"

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    What I find absolutely hilarious about these e-mails is that they haven't realized that a threat is only effective if you have something to lose. The fact that an affiliate hasn't generated any business for them yet should tell them that they don't have anything to threaten them with.

Least likely result:

-rematt
    Well said rematt. -

My sentiments EXACTLY......

Kudos Matt - What harm can it possibly do to have an affiliate in the background that may not be performing today, but may in the future?

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Often one must offer a wide variety of similar niche merchants (10 or more) in order to obtain any type of advantage. If you have 20+ merchants on a site, it is not unusual at all that a few will not produce sales.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

I knew what this thread was about without reading it. I got one too today.

The funny thing about this is that they aren't getting any sales from me because their datafeed didn't work with my old site architecture. I'm rolling out a new site in a few days that will have their products. So basically x years of zero activity from me, then boom, tons of exposure.

BTW AM's, my price comparison site is a good example of why you leave your inactive affiliates in place. A code change later and you are exposed to a lot of traffic. It is kind of amusing to get e-mails from exec's asking, "Why aren't you carrying our products?" and I answer, because your AM terminated me last year.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

I totally agree with Matt and Jimmy, you don't lose anything having an inactive affiliate.By sending a mail like this,you might even lose affiliates who might look at joining you but have heard of such a mail from you from their peers.

Quote Originally Posted by rematt

Least likely result:

-rematt
    Love it!!! Simple and to the point and so right
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

In the absence of a clue train icon, I'll offer this.

With the ABW "Best Of" each year, we need some of these "Head Up Your Butt" awards presented to our industry's most clueless.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

As much as it sucks to be terminated for being inactive, it sucks even more when a merchant you are active with closes their program with no notice at all. No email, no nothing from ComfortShoeShop or CJ when they shut down a couple weeks ago. I only found out when their clicks started showing up in the "invalid links" report.

Yes, you're welcome for the free traffic.
    Your Ad Here.

Quote Originally Posted by affninja
    Yes, you're welcome for the free traffic.
    It's the newest form of SEO / Natural Search traffic. Sorry you had to deal with that...dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rice
    With the ABW "Best Of" each year, we need some of these "Head Up Your Butt" awards presented to our industry's most clueless.
    I love the idea. Haiko, you paying attention to this?
    Matt McWilliams

For the record, we will NEVER deactivate an inactive affiliate from our program.

Where does this logic come from?

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rice
    In the absence of a clue train icon, I'll offer this.

We can make that happen! -

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

I love the idea ... except everyone, including me, probably deserve to receive such an honor at least once a month, much less every year.

I think so awesome designer should create the award, then Haiko can make a You Tube
    video of the award and why they got it and who they are ... I nominate Linkshare/One Cause to be the first winner.

I wonder how they would take it if 10 million plus You Tubers saw they suck like a huge black hole.

Uhhhhhh - not so fast. Don't mean to be the wet blanket here, but...

That dubious award might be fine for some laughs but is not good for business or credibility. These "clueless" merchants and AMs need to get a clue. They need to be educated, not ridiculed. Poking some fun (as in a Roast) is fine, but a "bad" industry award is sure to hurt more than help.

We claim that some inactive affs may "come back" and become star performers. Isn't it possible that some clueless merchants may see the light and become a good merchant with whom to work?
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    These "clueless" merchants and AMs need to get a clue. They need to be educated, not ridiculed. Poking some fun (as in a Roast) is fine, but a "bad" industry award is sure to hurt more than help.

We claim that some inactive affs may "come back" and become star performers. Isn't it possible that some clueless merchants may see the light and become a good merchant with whom to work?
    Spot on, Beachy (emphasis above mine)!
    Quote Originally Posted by Makai
    Where does this logic come from?
    It's quite pervasive at the "legacy" networks and industry "gurus". Most of those have technical limitations that cause things to run slow when a merchant has "too many" affiliates and also charge a "per email" fee when sending out emails.

Rather than address the technical limitations and make it easier to segment and activate affiliates, these networks take the simple way out and just encourage merchants to "streamline" their programs.

Amazon.com doubtless has MILLIONS of people who have signed up as customers but have never placed an order (or hasn't placed one in the last year). Does Amazon.com send those customers emails saying that if they don't buy something within the next month they will have their accounts deleted? Not a chance! They send multiple newsletters, offer promotions, and continually strive to find other ways to reach those potential customers. And every time they "activate" just 1% of that group, that's tens of thousands of new orders.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    That dubious award might be fine for some laughs but is not good for business or credibility...Isn't it possible that some clueless merchants may see the light and become a good merchant with whom to work?
    Ah, touche Bill. You take away all the fun, but make an excellent point

I'm going to pout for at least 3 minutes and then get back to work.

(Seriously, I agree with you, so thanks!)
    Matt McWilliams

ABW Ambassador
    Didn't go thru all the threads in the Merchants Best Practices forum but there should be one there about this where we can just hit reply with a link to the thread. If there isn't a thread dedicated to this specific topic, one can be made.

I totally agree with you Bill.An award like this would totally embarrass the merchant or the affiliate concerned and some may take it as a challenge and prove everyone wrong,while others may just fade away.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Amazon.com doubtless has MILLIONS of people who have signed up as customers but have never placed an order (or hasn't placed one in the last year). Does Amazon.com send those customers emails saying that if they don't buy something within the next month they will have their accounts deleted? Not a chance! They send multiple newsletters, offer promotions, and continually strive to find other ways to reach those potential customers. And every time they "activate" just 1% of that group, that's tens of thousands of new orders.
    EXACTLY! Great example. Amazon probably has more idle affiliates than anyone else in the world...a gigantic list of potential sales and customers.

Just to be clear, in my example I was talking just about customers, not affiliates. The logic is the same, but for some reason it's much easier for merchants to understand the fallacy of terminating/threatening when it comes to customers rather than affiliates.

No doubt, Amazon probably has more inactive affiliates (and active ones) than any other merchant. As easy as they make things, though, I suspect that the percentage of inactive affiliates is probaly lower than most merchants. And they've never threatened to remove inactives.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Affiliate Manager GlobalGolf-Amanda's Avatar
    I wonder if these AM's are getting paid based on some bizarre conversion vs. total affiliate number rate, or something like that? It seems odd to just boot an affiliate for no other reason than not sending traffic.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Amanda Moralis
    GlobalGolf.com | GolfShoesOnly.com | TaylorMadeGolfPreOwned.com
    [URL=https://signup.cj.com/member/brandedPublisherSignUp.do?air_refmerchantid=2132449]Join our affiliate program![/URL] | [URL=http://globalgolfaff.blogspot.com/]GlobalGolf & GSO Affiliate Blog[/URL] | [URL=http://feeds.feedburner.com/ggaffs/]Coupon Feed[/URL]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast