Need to know some whois stuff
    Hello,

You might have already read my other post about being scammed for 8k. I am fed up with it, and need to know how to check a report on someone to see how many sites they own. There is a scammer known as dealstead dot com and they have been ripping people off for years. I know of three sites that are them and just want to see if their is a site to look at them all or how does that work. I run a site where you can report scams online, but I don't know how to find this information. Could someone please help me out.

Garen

You can do a domain search @ domaintools.com and near the bottom is a line:
    Registrant Search:"example" owns about xx other domains/
    (you have to pay for this report)

alexa used to have a free service for this, but it was very inaccurate & I think they took it away.

If they use whois protection, etc., going to be hard. Might try looking around on their sites for links. Most webmasters can't resist interlinking their sites. (at least some of them)

If they have a dedicated server, reverse IP will work.
    Last edited by simcat; July 14th, 2009 at 02:20 AM.

The problem is that there's no guarantee that the WHOIS information is genuine. Most scammers wouldn't put their own details on the domain.

Wow.. just checked out the website. Some of the product images have a watermark from one of my sites on them! There's even one that I more-or-less photoshopped from scratch.

I can spot several products that never even made it into production and they certainly cannot have them in stock.

However, these things are often clustered together on the same server, so I've listed everything on the same box in case you want to research them: http://pastebin.com/m776b058c
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Awesome, thanks for the information. I have been working night and day to get their scams exposed at report-online-scams.com They have been up to scamming people for quite sometime now. I just can't believe that nothing is being done about it. I have been using my SEO knowledge to get my page to rank before their site on Google. I am trying to save everyone that googles their name, so that they don't have to deal with this scammer. Also, there are a lot of other scams that I expose on that site.

I am working on contacting Chinese authority and have already contacted many places here in the United States. Not sure if it will do any good, but a least I am trying.

Garen

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo
    The problem is that there's no guarantee that the WHOIS information is genuine. Most scammers wouldn't put their own details on the domain.

Wow.. just checked out the website. Some of the product images have a watermark from one of my sites on them! There's even one that I more-or-less photoshopped from scratch.

I can spot several products that never even made it into production and they certainly cannot have them in stock.

However, these things are often clustered together on the same server, so I've listed everything on the same box in case you want to research them: http://pastebin.com/m776b058c
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; July 14th, 2009 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Drop this link one more time and I'll institute a board wide replacement and IP ban you!

sorry Haiko de Poel, Jr I meant to type out my address as a dot com extension.

Good Luck, we need more people like you!
    Jason
    [url=http://www.bhphoto.com/]B&H Photo[/url] :|: [url=http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/affiliates.jsp]Join Our Affiliate Program[/url] :|: [URL=https://signup.cj.com/member/brandedPublisherSignUp.do?air_refmerchantid=2478435]Join on CJ[/URL]
    email: Jasonn at BHphoto.com

Thanks for the kind words Jasonn.

Dynamoo, I have taken that link you sent me, and been looking around at all their individual sites. I can not believe that they can continue to operate, and jump around from scam to scam. I am making blog post on my blog exposing as many of their phony sites as I can. I have even been getting in contact with Chinese authority to see if they can deal with them.

Anymore suggestion on what else I should do?

Just because a site is on the same server, it does not necessarily mean that it's a bad site. However, sites do tend to cluster and I suspect that you will find several others that people have had a bad experience with.

If you are dealing with law enforcement, then you should give as complete a picture as you can with the evidence that links them together.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

I make sure that their are complaints about them. However, one of their other sites that they own, is in the making and I can tell just by looking at it; it is a scam. I have written a report on it that will be on my blog soon. They seemed to have moved some of their sites, because maybe they suspected that people were catching onto them. There were reports of them having 700+ now they only have 200+. I have a whole list of scam sites that people have reported to me.

I try to check into everything before posting it. I know that mistakes happen, and would hate to put something up on anyone that is legit. I own a business too, and would be upset if someone did call me a scam.

Anyone legit company that would not like it on my site would probably contact me, and try to resolve it. I know for a fact that dealstead and sz-xinglong and a handful of others are scams.

If anyone would like to help contribute I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks you to everyone that has helped me thus far, and I will be exposing one scam at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo
    Just because a site is on the same server, it does not necessarily mean that it's a bad site. However, sites do tend to cluster and I suspect that you will find several others that people have had a bad experience with.

If you are dealing with law enforcement, then you should give as complete a picture as you can with the evidence that links them together.

Have you had your lawyer or law enforcement contact the domain registrar to obtain the account holder's information?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg-IntraHost
    Have you had your lawyer or law enforcement contact the domain registrar to obtain the account holder's information?
    Can I do that since they are in China?

It appears that their domain is registered in China as well. Here's some information on the registrar, including some contact information:
    http://spamtrackers.eu/wiki/index.php?title=Xin_Net

It appears that some reports of malicious activity have been dealt with swiftly as of late, while in the past they've been somewhat lax in handling abuse issues.

Best of luck.

awesome dealstead dot com has been shut down! It is a proud day; they can no longer rip people off anymore. However, their partner sz-xinglong dot com is still active and they are hosted under the same person I hope they are dealt with quickly too!

also, I just wanted to know how do I tell who the hosting provider for sz-xinglong dot com is?

Quote Originally Posted by silver93350
    also, I just wanted to know how do I tell who the hosting provider for sz-xinglong dot com is?
    Their IP provider is http://vpls.net/ and it looks like their provider is Krypt.com. Any abuse issues should probably go to VPLS: abuse@vpls.net

[root@apollo ~]# ping sz-xinglong.com
    PING sz-xinglong.com (98.126.24.250) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from CUSTOMER.KRYPT.COM (98.126.24.250): icmp_seq=1 ttl=123 time=59.3 ms
    64 bytes from CUSTOMER.KRYPT.COM (98.126.24.250): icmp_seq=2 ttl=123 time=59.6 ms

--- sz-xinglong.com ping statistics ---
    2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 999ms
    rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 59.368/59.512/59.656/0.144 ms
    [root@apollo ~]# whois 98.126.24.250
    [Querying whois.arin.net]
    [Redirected to rwhois.vpls.net:4321]
    [Querying rwhois.vpls.net]
    [rwhois.vpls.net]
    %rwhois V-1.5:003eff:00 rwhois.vpls.net (by Network Solutions, Inc. V-1.5.9.5)
    network:Class-Name:network
    network:ID:NETBLK-LOGININC-98.126.24.224/27
    network:Auth-Area:98.126.0.0/16
    network:Network-Name:LOGININC-98.126.24.224-27
    network:IP-Network:98.126.24.224/27
    network:IP-Network-Block:98.126.24.224 - 98.126.24.255
    network:Organization;I:login_inc
    network:Admin-Contact;I:VPLS
    network:Tech-Contact;I:hostmaster@vpls.net
    network:Abuse-Contact;I:abuse@vpls.net
    network:Created:20080912
    network:Updated:20080912
    network:Updated-By:hostmaster@vpls.net

Greg,

Thanks a lot you have been so much help! I was just curious to how you find out what hosting service someone is using. Basically, for future reference.

silver93350,

A good resource is http://whois.domaintools.com -- simply put in the domain name for which you'd like to find out more information, then in the results, look under "Server Data" and you can then click on "Whois" for information on the IP address the domain is hosted on.

Hope that helps,

Greg

And actually, in looking at DomainTool's whois results, I see that Krypt is actually just a DBA for Vpls, the owner of the IP block the offending domain is on.

yeah they (hosting company) actually wrote me, because of scam prevention site I run. Their site should be shut down soon.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread