Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    Computer Replacement How Often?
    I was wondering how often you replace your laptops or desktops?
    Starting to think I may have some sort of computer curse, it seems my laptops never seem to last more than a year due to use I guess? I do take good care of them, get them cleaned professionally but man it seems they never last longer than 10 months or so, thank god always still under warranty..
    My desktops I've never had a problem with them lasting at least 2 years and thinking of going back to one, even though laptops are way easier, any suggestions or ideas, or am I just laptop challenged?

Manager - Affiliate Marketing Patrick Vesperman's Avatar
    Laptops are mobile and thus wear out much faster if you are always moving them...picking them up and setting them down, dropping, spilling coffee, using as a footrest, etc.
    Desktop = stationary.
    I would only recommend getting a laptop if you need to be mobile and have that versatility.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    I have needed a new laptop every 1.5-2 years for my last three.

Manager - Affiliate Marketing Patrick Vesperman's Avatar
    Also, what is wearing out? The hardware or software?

I know that Apple's Macbook Pro is made from a single block of aluminum and this does help the durability of it.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    My boat anchor is 5 years old at least.

It runs 24/7/365 and still serves me like a pro.

" Hope I haven't jinxed myself "

The other 3 that my kids and grand poopers have are less than 2.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

It seems the hardware seems to wear out the hard drive, or something on the motherboard gets fried, I move my laptop maybe once a day from one room to another to work depending what is going on in the house, really starting to miss my desktop, but can't beat portability, but at this rate the cost is getting to be a bit much sometimes, never mind reloading software and data..

http and a telephoto
    Laptops tend to last about a year now, they used to be more durable. And for me the hard drives give up or they start to overheat. Or the display LCD gets separated and decides to not work without a clip

I am pretty hard on my laptops and use them like desktops, leaving them on 24/7 etc so it doesn't really surprise me that mine die, while a second one bought at the same time that gets turned off each night and doesn't have as heavy use is still fine.

Desktops tend to last me longer. I just a couple months ago killed one that was 4 years old, and it was my fault, I shorted out the motherboard. That hard drive is actually now an external to another desktop
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    My desktop is still running. I think it got it in 2002, Pentium 4 2.66Ghz - was the latest and greatest back then when zip drives was the cool thing to have. Works perfectly but is a bit slow now.

Laptop, had issues with HD but it is working now after getting a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-AvantLink
    I have needed a new laptop every 1.5-2 years for my last three.
    That's been about my experience with my Mac laptops. I like to replace them before they die - so they are still useful as a backup.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Desktops now last me around 4 years, though I can't find a reason to replace this one yet (one of the first quad-cores, nothing special by today's standards).

Laptops: I was going through them every 18 months until I bought Panasonic Toughbooks. This was the first laptop that ever stayed around long enough or was worthwhile to pay $100 to replace the battery.

Now I'm buying netbooks (Asus) at around $300. They take some of the casual browsing and email checking load off the other machines. As I move more & more to the cloud, I expect the pressure to upgrade to continue to decrease.

The one exception may be due to the continued emergence of "big screen" browsing to replace cable. This will be xbox driven but will take a modestly powerful pc to do some transcoding and file management ...just now getting into this.

A laptop should last 4+ years at the least. At my day job we have thousands of Laptops and we always get 4+ years out of them. We do spend $1000-$2000 for each one but unless your buying junk I would expect 3+ years.

Here is what I tell my clients: Only buy a Laptop if you require to Travel with it. Or if you think you really need a laptop then buy a 3-4 year full warranty on the notebook. I no longer promote Dell as an affiliate but I do suggest to people that Dell is a good option if they spend the $$ on the warranty (And now a days their giving it away!!)

Also with the Dell I tell people to Buy the CD so they can re-image the notebook (Or Computer) every year or when it gets slow.

Just my $.02 worth!!

I usually replace my laptop about every 2 years. I think I'm coming up on three years with my current one, but it's been back to HP numerous times (all under warranty) and sat unused for several months once until HP agreed to fix it again. This will be my last HP. I'll probably switch back to Dell for my next one.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    This will be my last HP. I'll probably switch back to Dell for my next one.
    I can relate. My last laptop was an HP. It went back twice with burned up wireless cards, fixed both times under warranty. I also had 4 or 5 keys that were coming loose on that HP. (but in fairness, I am a hard and loud typer my wife says I wake her up at night half a house and a closed door away -haha)

My current laptop is a Dell, and I am much happier. (although the mouse pad on the Dell does not work too well, so I always tend to carry my wireless mouse with me back and forth to the office) -GM

I have been running on the same laptop - sort of - for at least 5 years, and maybe one or two more. Basically, it's the first laptop I ever got. I moved all my files off my desktop, and never used it again.

When I say "sort of", it's because I actually have three of them. I always have one working backup; sometimes two. One of the backups was once my husband's laptop; we bought the other as a spare for either of us from an ex-IBMer in Raleigh who fixes them. Mine is an IBM Thinkpad T41 (I think). I have one hard drive (and one CD-ROM drive, one wireless card) which I move from one laptop to another when something dies. Then I send one in for fixing.

The rest of my IT family has newer laptops (my husband has a Lenovo), but both of them (husband and son) need the additional speed to run virtual machines. I don't need that; nor do I need the trouble of installing all my software again.

In terms of what fails, it is usually keyboard related; sometimes a motherboard; sometimes the screen. But the fixes are usually a fraction of the cost of a new one, plus all I need to do is move the hard drive et al. I always need a backup that I can switch to immediately, so I would have to buy two of whatever I buy. I'd rather spend a few hundred every year to 18 months, and continue with my good old Thinkpad!

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    I usually sell laptops at around one year old. That is usually at the point where I am getting sick of it or have seen something better that I want

AND that it is still worth a fair amount of money on the used computer market.

Desktops last much longer and I can easily drop in new CPUs or even go so far as to replace the motherboard and CPU. I usually build the computer myself so all the parts are good and easily upgraded.

My last was a Powerbook and it was still going strong after 4 years. I got a Macbook Pro this year and plan to use it for at least 4-5 years. Mac might be a bit more pricey, but it's worth it for their long lifetime.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Snib that is good to hear the mac has lasted you so long. I was surprised to read that Bill is only getting less than 2 years out of them. My brother's mac also lasted him about 4. Not sure if it's worth it or not, but got Applecare to go with it too.

I buy refurbished Macs from the Apple Store. My desktops last about 4-5 years - i.e. my last eMac purchase is still on my wife's desk, my first entry level Mac Book is going strong after two and a half years as use as basically a desktop with the occasional trip.

A desktop for me.. a proper keyboard, two screens, all the peripherals that I can plug in. I can even upgrade the motherboard at a later date if I want.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Quote Originally Posted by ladidah
    Snib that is good to hear the mac has lasted you so long. I was surprised to read that Bill is only getting less than 2 years out of them. My brother's mac also lasted him about 4. Not sure if it's worth it or not, but got Applecare to go with it too.
    Oops, didn't mean to say they are dying that fast. I just like to "upgrade" about every two years. Mrs. Beachy gets my hand-me-downs. The one she is using now is about four years old. The one I am typing on now is almost two years old - so I'm thinking about a "replacement" ...as soon as I upgrade my iPhone...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

FWIW, the various desktops around our house (we have several) are all around 5 years old or older. They definitely last longer.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks for the input everone, looks like i'm going back to the desktop for a while, and also ordered a thinkpad, heavy duty laptop and hope it last a while...

Affiliate Manager
    I buy a new laptop when the current one is outdated and won't run the software I need. This is usually due to memory issues and it is cheaper to buy a new one then upgrade the old dino.

As for maintenance, I am probably the world's worst at getting any of that done.

Affiliate Manager
    I generally don't bother replacing computers until three years or when processor speeds double.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

2 extended family members are believers in these cheap under laptop fans for extra cooling. Theirs seem to be lasting pretty good, but I can't say how long exactly. The extra cooling seems to make sense.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast