The ISP is having problems.
    I can't comlpain. They are unusually reliable.
    But, I am feeling desparate.
    I can't seem to get ANYTHING done between this and bad data feeds.

Damnit, I want sympathy!
    I hate days like this.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

SSanf:

You have my sympathy!

Karl Smith >>> phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money! >>> click here to learn more

Mine too - have you heard when things will be back up and do you know for how long they have been down?

Ebudae

If you understand, things are just as they are...
    if you do not understand, things are just as they are.

my host had DDOS attack the other day and the shared server I'm on was down for over 16 hours yesterday

Last week my cpanel/WHM server crashed making my system unusable. I had to purchase a new server and move all my data across. It was a real pain, but the worst part was knowing my websites are offline

Well, they were down for a little while yesterday which wasn't bad because it was late at night. They say they go fix it and all seems well. Then, as soon as the turn their backs and walk away the dang thing goes down again. Yikes!

It has been down since late AM today, I believe.

I finally got a good feed by emailing the AM directly. Now, I am not getting a lot done because the feed doesn't have just nighties. It has some real erotica! Well, I am not getting a lot done. I may be old but I ain't dead yet!

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

If I may ask,
    how many sites do you have?

I tried running a 2nd site about 2 years ago and pulled most of my hair out (at least that is what i'm blaming it on) trying to keep both sites updated.

How many sites does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll lollipop anyway?

Well, I have about 30 or so domains in different states of repair and development.
    About 20 are in good shape, up and running. Rather, they would be up and running if my ISP was in go mode.

As it stands today, I only have a few working.

It sucks.. you can see they big hole in your income!

I'd looked at some sort of dynamic DNS service before, but they all seem to be for cable modems/DSL hosting rather than quick and easy swapping between web hosts. It should be possible to side-step this sort of problem with D-DNS but I can't find the right sort of provider.

Who's the host btw?

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

Well, I think I have the best host. Well, that is until today. Today, it sucks. But, this is highly unusual. If you want to know who, PM me.

Thank goodness some of my best producing sites are old sites with another host. It is good not to have ALL your eggs in one basket, no matter how fine the basket.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    If your income relies solely on affiliate income, the LAST thing you should be doing is hosting all your sites in one location.

What happens if a natural disaster wipes out their systems?

What happens if a backhoe rips up their fiber connection?

What happens if the FBI seize ALL their systems because ONE computer in their server room was used by Al Queda operatives?

Split your web sites over TWO providers, that way you'll only ever be HALF OOF THE AIR. And if one looks like being down for a long time, you move the other half of your sites across to the live server, until the other one comes back up.

I have THREE servers in three seperate States, on pipes provded y 3 different Telco's, with daily backups of all config files on a RAID array on my G4 at home (behind a firewall). If one server goes down, I can move those sites over to one of the other servers, change NS, and BOOM - it's all back up.

George Orwell got the date wrong

MY SITES ARE UP!!!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Cool!

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Drewbert:
    If your income relies solely on affiliate income, the LAST thing you should be doing is hosting all your sites in one location.

What happens if a natural disaster wipes out their systems?

What happens if a backhoe rips up their fiber connection?

What happens if the FBI seize ALL their systems because ONE computer in their server room was used by Al Queda operatives?

Split your web sites over TWO providers, that way you'll only ever be HALF OOF THE AIR. And if one looks like being down for a long time, you move the other half of your sites across to the live server, until the other one comes back up.

I have THREE servers in three seperate States, on pipes provded y 3 different Telco's, with daily backups of all config files on a RAID array on my G4 at home (behind a firewall). If one server goes down, I can move those sites over to one of the other servers, change NS, and BOOM - it's all back up.

George Orwell got the date wrong<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are 100% correct. Never put all your eggs in one basket. Always have a Backup Plan

let me guess....you are hosting with prohosters?

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread