Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Need someone to push me off the cliff...
    Just signed up with ShareaSale as a merchant and will be managing all the details of the affiliate program at least initially. Bought and studied Geno's book and have read many posts. STILL OVERWHELMED.

I am at the point where it's time to activate by account at ShareaSale, but just can't seem to push the button!

Tell me, is it possible to start this affiliate program slow and just follow the learning curve? When I start reading about parasites and FTD, datafeed, cookie-stuffing, etc. , I might as well be reading Chinese.

I've had so many requests from organizations to become an affiliate that I thought it was time to accomodate. I thought it would be simple enough to sign on with a program that would allow these nice folks to sign up and the program would issue the checks for me and all would be well.

However, after spending so much time reading posts here, it seems much more complicated than that. Can an everyday merchant like me offer an affiliate program smoothly?

I don't want to rock the world.....I just want to ramp up the marketing a little bit and be able to align myself with complementary businesses.

If I don't understand what a "dirty toolbar" is, can I do this?

A little push please.......

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Push the button and K.I.S.S.

We like to make it sound difficult, but in reality, just like everything else in life, it's just trial and error.

You sound intelligent and know what you want.

Use your head and you've got it whooped.

Good Luck and Welcome to ABW!

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

> "Can an everyday merchant like me offer an affiliate program smoothly?" <

Yes and no. Of course, you can launch the program and just see what happens. But the most likely outcome is that nothing will happen unless you actively recruit the "right" affiliates. Depending on your business, effective affiliate marketing may require a datafeed.

And of course, "unethical affiliates" (including parasites, cookie-stuffers, trademark-bidders, and many more) could become a huge problem for you. Even if they don't succeed in stealing your money, if legitimate publishers learn that you've accepted parasitic affiliates, they may refuse to carry your advertising.

Start by addressing the most important issues (parasites, cookie stuffing, trademark bidding) in your affiliate agreement; you might also consider special policies regarding "incentive" sites and perhaps some types of coupon sites.

Read through the "Merchant Best Practices" forum here. There's a wealth of helpful information there. And check out my free advice (linked below).

ABW Ambassador
    You could hire an OPM to help get your started, show you the ropes. Later decide if you want to run the program yourself or have somebody else do it full time.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Here is a push, don't go the "dirty toolbar" way!!!

Welcome.

SAS is a great network, as with other networks have it's pros and cons. You just need to learn the interface. It took me 3-4 weeks to learn the details of the interface after coming off a linkshare system.

Here are 3 suggestions:

1) Don't go with the toolbar affiliates [or merchant toolbar]
    "Dirty toolbar" affiliates are people who more than often (not all) will stuff and write over a person's cookie.
    Let's say Joe and Allen's toolbar are affiliates in your program. Joe spent his own money promoting you on google, traffic lands on your website and purchase, as opposed to crediting Joe, Allen gets the credit as the consumer installed Allen's tool bar. Not fair if you are Joe right.
    Going with merchant toolbar that override affiliate cookies is a good way to kill your program. Merchant's don't need toolbars unless you drive traffic like what google does.

2) Spend time / money / effort recruiting
    You have a program with zero affiliates. Zero affiliates = zero possibility of generating revenue. You need to drive 800-1000 affiliates to see a decent amount of sales via aff program.

3) Position your program.
    If you are selling "dog beef jerkey", find a way to position it. You can't go against those conglomerate that splash MM$ on TV. Why are you better than "Beggin Strips". Don't go negative but highlight your positive aspect.

All the best!

Too intimidated to activate ShareaSale affiliate program...
    I am new to abestweb as well as to affiliate marketing. I have completed all of the steps of signing on with shareasale and just need to "Activate Now". I am just too intimidated to finish the process.

As much as I've studied and read, I still don't feel like I have a good handle on the "dark side" of affiliate programs (cookie-stuffing, parasites, etc).

I thought that the process would be simple.....I had people asking to be affiliates so I signed on to a program that was within my budget and seemed basic enough to handle. The more I read, the more overwhelmed I get.

Are there any merchants out there who are not professional affiliate managers, just normal Joe's like me, who have gone through the process and lived to tell?

Thanks!

Affiliate marketing is a learning process. Heck, if the person tell you that he knows everything, I will tell you that he/she is lying.

The best thing about online marketing, you learn, test, look at the results and re-test until you get the right results.

I started out as a newbie, then an affiliate, and an aff manager. I am always learning new things.

What is ur URL

Cool
    a six-month contract with an experienced Outsourced Program Manager would be a healthy move.

SaS itself has many defenses and safeguards against the "bad guys", but realistically you shouldn't just open an affiliate program because you, with a flick of the switch will make money ... there is a method to the "madness". You should go into it at least with some knowledge. As such, I'd suggest you talk with SaS, and maybe some OPS (http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=236) to get some feel for the industry, issues, gain direction, learn pitfalls and identify your upside, maybe retain one to consult you.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Thanks a million....honestly didn't expect any responses at all today considering how beautiful it is here!

Here is the real reason that I can't hit "Activate".....I don't know whether or not to enable "Auto-approve". Yes, I have read the thread here.....yes, I have searched what little info I can find on the internet. No, I still don't have a clear answer.

I have spent the past 7 years building a really respected and modestly successful website. I want to protect my site's good reputation.

I'm afraid that if I auto-approve all affiliates, I'm just going to cheapen my site. If I manually approve, I'm not sure I understand what to look for that would warrant a denied application.

I don't want anyone to spend the time responding to a subject that has been covered already, but if you could just point me to a place with some straight answers, I'd appreciate it. I read the thread here, but still don't feel clear on this topic.

I was really looking for quality relationships with my affiliates...a win/win situation where we complement each other and the consumer benefits as well by finding the product they need. Don't mean to sound Pollyanna about it, but this is what I was looking for. I wasn't aware of the dark side of affiliate marketing and that's what has me so concerned.

Admin Note: Merged the two threads into one as it's the same issues and topic

The best tool to use and learn from the results

Search http://forum.abestweb.com/search.php?

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    You already have some pros in this thread that can help you jump start your program.. And the advice is FREE.

Matter of fact, almost everyone except for me in this thread is an AM pro.

Take the free advice to heart and use it.

If I were to start my own program, they are the ones I would seek advice from.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Here is the real reason that I can't hit "Activate".....I don't know whether or not to enable "Auto-approve". Yes, I have read the thread here.....yes, I have searched what little info I can find on the internet. No, I still don't have a clear answer.
    I would think if you are learning as you go to not do "Auto-approve", but work your way toward that when you see how it goes and you are comfortable. Like learning to drive. Get a feel for the car before you punch it to the floor.

Also work with Haiko to see what's available for your program in the way of promotion here at ABW. Building community with affiliates here is a help.

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    Rene,

Welcome to our forum and our ABW family. You have been given great advice here so far, but i know how overwhelming launching a new program can be to somebody that has limited knowledge of the affiliate model. Affiliate marketing has been very good to me and ABW is where I call home.

Please accept a free one hour consultation on affiliate program basics and starting your program on SAS. We run many successful SAS affiliate programs, including the #1 SAS for over 3 years now.

No strings, no gimmicks, no commitments, just straight no BS advice on what to do and more important what not to do in the first 30 - 90 days.

You can reach me at any of the numbers below or by email at your convenience ...

Again, welcome to our family ...
    Andy Rodriguez Consulting, Affiliate Program Management and Consulting Services, Since 2001
    www.andyrodriguez.com | E: abw@andyrodriguez.com | P: (888) 931-ANDY (2639) | Skype: affiliatedoctor | AIM & MSN: AffiliateDoctor | Subscribe To Our ABW Forum Posts | Follow me on Twitter | Join Our Affiliate Programs

Hey Renee. First, welcome to ABW.

I am neither a merchant nor an affiliate manger - just a plain ol' affiliate. However I have been here a while and know and/or have worked with many of the people who post here. Andy has just made you an offer that I urge you to take advantage of - as soon as possible - before you push that button. He is a talented and experienced program manager and you will be able to take whatever he suggests to the bank.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    You could hire an OPM to help get your started, show you the ropes. Later decide if you want to run the program yourself or have somebody else do it full time.
    This is a great idea, an OPM can help you through the process of creating a Terms of Service that is right for your company, and can help you get the right creatives in place, figure out if you need a datafeed and how to make one, plus show you how to detect if affiliate sites are doing things you don't want them to do.

Depending on your vertical and how much time you can budget for, there are several good choices for OPMs here at ABestWeb.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Welcome to ABW reneewood! Another plain ol' affiliate here. Just want to say that it is far better to know that you don't know all you need to to jump right in than some of the programs that actually do jump right in although they obviously don't know and don't know that they don't. Sometimes makes me wish I could leave feedback when I go to sign up for a program and the signs are everywhere. Doing it right is important, you don't get a second chance to make the initial right moves. Take up one of these OPMs on their offers, they are here to help you succeed.

Also second (third?) the read, read, read Becoming a Merchant and Merchant Best Practices forums, it will save you and your affiliates many headaches.
    Good luck!

Just a thank you for the warm welcome and words of encouragement. I feel like I just moved into a new neighborhood and you all stopped by with a plate of warm brownies to introduce yourselves. I am grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by reneewood
    Just a thank you for the warm welcome and words of encouragement. I feel like I just moved into a new neighborhood and you all stopped by with a plate of warm brownies to introduce yourselves. I am grateful.
    Welcome, Renee. Nope, not brownies from us -- but my wife makes a killer zucchini bread. (And, for something a bit more substantial, one of the best vegetarian chili's on the planet. )
    Generate more fake news.

We are in a similar position. We opened a merchant account with SAS about 3 weeks ago. This is our first attempt at affiliate marketing. We also were not sure what to expect when we signed up. So far it has not been overwhelming, in 3 weeks we have had about 60 affiliates join us. We are set to auto approve but we have researched the affiliates that have signed up. SAS will allow you to deactivate anyone you do not feel comfortable with. We found this post had some helpful links: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ighlight=whois

We would definitely suggest speaking to Andy. He extended us the same offer and was extremely knowledgeable and helpful. There were some things we could have prepared before pressing the activate now button that may have made things smoother. As people have said, it seems this will be a learning process. Dont feel too bad, we still dont know most of the terminology! One day we will be the ones responding to newbie questions. Lol. Good luck!

Affiliate Manager
    Woo Hoo!! You did it! Renee, I know how bright you are and you should not feel overwhelmed.

If you have had requests from people, just start off allowing them in the program. When you are comfortable expanding, then do so. Don't feel like you have to blow the program open to everyone.

If you need me, even if it is just for a little support, you know how to reach me.
    TexasCPA

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Hoooray!! Just sent you an email, we'll help you every step of the way...and in fact, we have a complimentary training webinar tomorrow, I forwarded you details and registration link. Congrats on the launch!

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Renee, I had to chime in here after reading everyone else's posts.

First of all, welcome to affiliate marketing and ABW. Don't be afraid. Only a few of the members bite (you know who you are )

You asked:

Quote Originally Posted by reneewood
    Are there any merchants out there who are not professional affiliate managers, just normal Joe's like me, who have gone through the process and lived to tell?
    Yes. Me for one back in the day. The entire reason I got into affiliate management was because I had the hairbrained idea to start an affiliate program at my previous company and then realized after a year of someone else running it that I was the best suited for it. I knew very little about running it, but it worked.

If you have read Geno's book, you know the basics and more. You know what you need to know, not you just need to get over the fear, take a leap, and do it!

Andy Rodriguez, who posted on here earlier has spoke at the last two Affiliate Summits and has some great lessons in these audio versions:

http://geekcast.fm/archives/developi...chant-mindset/

http://geekcast.fm/archives/developi...ant-mindset-2/

Of course, if you want to talk to me and see if I can help steer you in the right direction just contact me at the information below.

Best Wishes on getting started! You have done well so far
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

I generally discover that, in any given case, I am always "the last to know." With that in mind, am I the only one who doesn't know what Renee's program at SAS is? If she's launched and wants to attract affiliates, is there any way I can find out what merchant she is at SAS -- without violating any ABW TOS??
    Generate more fake news.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast