Will Google take me back?
    So about 2 years ago I set up an admittedly thin affiliate site. When it first launched it was bringing in good organic traffic from Google.

Eventually the organic traffic from Google dropped to zero, and I in a sense abandoned the site. There was very little content on this site, and I can only assume that Google kicked this site out of its rankings. I realize the errors of my ways, but I also really like this domain name.

My question is, if I totally scrap this site, and start brand new with a legitimate site, with honest to goodness content will I eventually be able to get back in the rankings? Or is there no longer hope for this domain name.

If Google allows me back, how long does this usually take? I also realize there are other search engines out there, it is just I really want to make sure that if I put a bunch of effort into a new site I am getting that Google traffic back.

Quote Originally Posted by BigEmpire
    My question is, if I totally scrap this site, and start brand new with a legitimate site, with honest to goodness content will I eventually be able to get back in the rankings? Or is there no longer hope for this domain name.

If Google allows me back, how long does this usually take?
    Apparently Google has a heart and a way to have a site reconsidered. As far as how long it takes, I have no idea but possibly no longer than it would take to have a new site indexed (I have no basis for that estimate other than pure speculation and wishful thinking).

I believe before you can start the process of reconsideration that you need to have your site registered through Google Webmaster Tools which is usually a good idea anyway.

Good luck.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Online Marketing Consultant
    If you start writing content and working at building the site back up, you should be fine. You may also want to check what the other sites who are showing up for your old terms are doing and run a solid SEO campaign for them.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Unless the site is being actively penalized for doing something nasty, like spreading viruses etc., I think you should be fine.

People take domains that have been parked for years & make thriving websites out of them. (content cant get any 'thinner' than that)

lol, this is good to know, because I have a few domains that I've abandoned but want to revitalize and had the same concern about google!

Now only to find some free time to get it done!

I think if you can check out what's wrong with the original site and amend the errors, Google will take you back.

google has good reps. that want to get your business.

As far as keeping your domain name I have not heard of Google banning a site name merely because the site was abandoned as you say. If the domain name was associated with a site that was an attack site or was the source of some type of malicious work this might be possible. In turn, submitting articles and videos with draw traffic back to your site would be very helpful in increasing your sites hit ranking. Viddler.com is a great tool to utilize if you're interested in uploading free video content and optimizing your site in the process. You might also want to see what some of the most searched keywords are for your specific niche. Wordtracker.com is a great site to utilize when doing keyword research. Just do a search for "Wordtracker" and "keyword tool" on the web and you should find this research tool pretty easily.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread