Killing a website really hurts, doesn't it?
    I just went through the 32 domains I own(ed) and cancelled eight of them, killing the corresponding websites.

I've read some threads here recently by people who feel just overwhelmed by all they need to do for their business and how to go about tackling all the tasks.

I'm very much in that situation myself. So I've been wrestling the last few weeks with making some major changes, trimming off the dead wood domains, and jump starting some of the others back to life.

As a result, I finally selected the worst performers, or domains I had set up on my VPS and never installed a blog, built a website, or did anything further with.

It was really painful on one level. They were sort of like children I'd had high hopes for then, sadly, discovered I'd forgotten all about some of them. (Probably a good thing Shirley and I only had two kids in the real world. Who knows what might've happened if we'd had six or eight?? )

At the same time, I think the task has given me a renewed sense of focus. The sites remaining are a terrific job in themselves, but at least I don't have the eight I deleted nagging for the attention I can't give them.

To work! To work!
    Generate more fake news.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Been there and DOOOD that!

But what's worse is having 49% in a site and having two partners that were smarter than me ( 51% ) take it away from you.

They paid me off, but ......

It was RemodelingGuy dot com -

It was my first site and was a real bummer.

I AM RemodelingGuy -

They failed and it's now out there in limbo.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Ack! that sucks. I don't do anything unless I alone have 51% or more. Of course I'm the knuckle head that always tries to do anything and everything alone, so YMMV.

I haven't cancelled domains yet. I am much more cruel and leave my abandoned websites to die slow, painful deaths in the abyss of the last pages of Google results!
    Last edited by vlg277; July 19th, 2009 at 09:31 PM. Reason: realized I had more to say!

Yikes! You guys are right, it would hurt much more to create something like Jimmy did, then come away from it and have it destroyed/damaged beyond your control.

And that long, slow death in Google sounds pretty grim, too. (Many of my sites suffer a similar, but quick "death scream" to the Google bottom lands from time to time. LOL!)
    Generate more fake news.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Generally, I stick some adsense on poor performers and check on them right before domain renewal. If they make enough to pay the $9 renewal fee I keep them. Otherwise I drop them.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Yeah, I hate getting rid of domains but sometimes they're just not worth the cost.

Perhaps we could do with an ABW "Garage Sale" for disposing of domain names that might be useful to someone else. I don't know who it would work though!
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

I deleted about 12 domains within the past month. Same thing, doing a dead wood clean up. Some of the sites actually did well, and some never took off, but it was still painful.

It's business, it isn't personal. You have to be ruthless. Cull what doesn't work. Build on what does work. They aren't children. They're binary digits in cyber space. Many businesses fail because people hold on to flawed models for sentimental reasons.

I know the feeling, Gary. I do the same thing.

Just for curiousity, I did a quick search to see how many domain names are registered today, here's what I found:

Active: 110,534,752
    Deleted: 368,110,939
    New: 69,374
    Expired: 63,300
    Transferred: 67,673

This doesn't even include .mobi, .tv. and a few others.

Wonder how many of those belong to us ABWers. Probably about half!

Quote Originally Posted by bettylou
    Wonder how many of those belong to us ABWers. Probably about half!
    Ah, so I'm not the only one who gets into a "buy a domain now, develop it later" frenzy!

Every time I buy a domain, I have at least preliminary ideas about using it. Sort of like buying Powerball lottery tickets -- yeah, I know the odds are impossible, but it's cheap and maybe ... ?
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Ah, so I'm not the only one who gets into a "buy a domain now, develop it later" frenzy!

Every time I buy a domain, I have at least preliminary ideas about using it. Sort of like buying Powerball lottery tickets -- yeah, I know the odds are impossible, but it's cheap and maybe ... ?
    Three years ago I was in "buy like crazy" mode. A year ago I started "get rid of all this crap I bought" mode. Now I'm still buying but only those that there is a reasonable chance of developing within a reasonable amount of time, but fortunately I still haven't defined "reasonable" .

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    Three years ago I was in "buy like crazy" mode. A year ago I started "get rid of all this crap I bought" mode. Now I'm still buying but only those that there is a reasonable chance of developing within a reasonable amount of time, but fortunately I still haven't defined "reasonable" .

-rematt
    My problem, exactly -- honestly can't see myself having a lot of time or resources to develop anything new right now, hence the domains I canceled. BUT -- if an idea pops up that there's a reasonable chance I could do something with, how do I NOT look for a good new domain if nothing current fits?
    Generate more fake news.

ABW Ambassador
    My problem, exactly -- honestly can't see myself having a lot of time or resources to develop anything new right now, hence the domains I canceled. BUT -- if an idea pops up that there's a reasonable chance I could do something with, how do I NOT look for a good new domain if nothing current fits?
    I buy domains only when I'm ready for a new site, and I only buy domains that are available out there. No need to pay more than an annual registration fee for me. If there is no best ones available(of course), I go for the second best, or third best...A good domain name helps, but the site itself matter the most.

I used to have the bad habit of buying domains for the purposes of developing them. And then wouldn't. You could go insane thinking of all the permutations of popular keyword domains, vaguely marketable "cute ones" etc.

Now I focus on my small current portfolio. I can only think of one domain that I totally axed though. And it was because the affiliate program it was built for no longer likes my address, and I don't want to deliver visitors to its competition, because they aren't similar enough.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Some of the domains I killed off/canceled, whatever, I did for sort of emotional or psychological reasons. Has to do with my obsessive/compulsive personality, I guess. I could have let them hold on until time to re-register, but just knowing they were there, waiting to be worked on or revamped or something, was getting me down and leading me to that "flying off in all directions at once."

So, by cutting away the dead/dying wood, even though some could have continued a few months on autopilot, was a "healthy" choice for me, because it's helping me focus.
    Generate more fake news.

I have a hard time letting them go. I think we're at 82 or so at the moment. I try to avoid registering new ones that I'm not doing something with right then and there though. The rest can keep until my retirement when maybe I'll have time to develop them...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Some of the domains I killed off/canceled, whatever, I did for sort of emotional or psychological reasons. Has to do with my obsessive/compulsive personality, I guess. I could have let them hold on until time to re-register, but just knowing they were there, waiting to be worked on or revamped or something, was getting me down and leading me to that "flying off in all directions at once."

So, by cutting away the dead/dying wood, even though some could have continued a few months on autopilot, was a "healthy" choice for me, because it's helping me focus.
    Yeah I was just thinking of that today. When you get too many projects going you can feel overwhelmed and experience a sort of "webmaster's block". Add to that a bathroom that needs to be finished so the family can once again use it.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    Yeah I was just thinking of that today. When you get too many projects going you can feel overwhelmed and experience a sort of "webmaster's block". Add to that a bathroom that needs to be finished so the family can once again use it.
    Uh huh!

Cheese....

Overwhelming Bathroom Blockage ....

We get it!

Good luck with that!

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread