Our Very First Domain Name
    Gary has another thread about Killing a Website that made me curious how many of us remember our first domain name purchase, when it was and if it was successful.

For me, I made homemade candles years ago and decided to try to sell them online. I purchased the domain name (that was the same as my brand name) in 1998 for something like $70 a year (or was it 2 years). I no longer own it and I had a total of 3 sales!

How about you guys?

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    The year 2000 decided to consult for Internet marketing. Got something I thought was on target and cool. 7 characters and the dot com.

Turned out it was not that cool but I still have it.

Cool
    made an industry-type directory on compuserve's homepages in 1996 then bought the actual domain name in late 2003. still have it.

15 years and counting
    I registered my first domain name in 1994 and made my first affiliate sale that first year. Sure, I remember it like it was yesterday. I had time to hit it big with this domain before being slapped a few times by Google.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    First domain registered in late 2005 and I killed it last year.

ABW Ambassador
    Herb:
    OMG http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CompuServe

I was there as well...
    The olden days!

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Ward
    Herb:
    OMG http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CompuServe

I was there as well...
    The olden days!
    I had five hours for $9.95/mo or so and a numeric ID with a suffix number that looked like I was coming from England in the forums. they offered alphanumeric IDs if we built a web page. the web page name became our email addy@

It was my first experience with usenet, too.

It was 2003 and a long horrible name.

I still have it because it now ranks #1 for my main keywords for the site. But the name of the site does not contain any good keywords. Still generating sales. Live and learn.

My first domain name in 1996 was CA-Probate.com, which I used to create a web site promoting my California Estate Planning, Probate & Trust Law practice. It was quite successful at bringing me legal clients.

Within a short time, my content about Web Advertising was drawing more traffic, and I decided to register a second domain (MarkWelch.com) and migrate the non-probate content there. Eventually, of course, I broke the web-advertising content off to another domain, adbility.com.

In 1999, I sold the ca-probate domain to another law firm, which left it essentially unchanged for a year or two, until their ISP went out of business. They've continued to renew the domain (which is now "parked").

I've had a website since about 1995 or something, but didn't get a domain name until 2000.

Dynamoo.com is my *second* domain name that I bought, I never really did anything with the first one.

I have maybe 150 or so now, but quite a lot of those are variations of the same name!
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

I had my first website in 1996 and my first domain name (not related to the first website) in 1998. I just dropped the domain in the last round of cuts I did in May, as I never really did anything with it. In fact, it's pending delete right now. LOL.

How many of you have dropped a domain name (or sold it for fairly cheap) only to find later that someone has built an incredible site with it? Been there, done that. LOL.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Smile
    I bought my first domain in 1996 and still have it. I then bought several extentions of it .net,.biz,etc and have since dropped them. I could have sold it for 350,000 USA before the big DOT COM collapse, SHOULD HAVE!
    My domain comes up first of 350,000,00 but that really dosn't factor into ones sucess. In order to be successful I would have to get consumers to use my domain name which would mean placing adds in newspapers,magazines and other advertising medias.
    What I remember most about a site being successful was Google. They started out on CJ paying us affilates 2cents per click and now look where they are. That was back in the days when Haiko was a real advocate for affiates on CJ and now look how far he has gone and has done a great job.
    Just having a domain name doesn't mean instant sucess,it takes time,a lot of work and some extra funds.
    Keep this in mind,the search engines are huge and how will consumers find you and your site?

mailman,

Too bad about the $350K, but you never know maybe another opportunity will arise.

That is some nice history and trivia about Google. I agree, just a domain name doesn't mean instant success, look at Google, Yahoo, those names initially meant zilch. They provided usefulness to the visitors, and ultimately got the extra funds to back them up.

Thanks for sharing

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread