because it was a record month for affiliate revenue at phillyBurbs! We're already three-quarters of the way to our annual revenue projection with seven months remaining in the fiscal year.

Wouldn't have been possible without ABW.

Thanks Haiko & ABW members!

Karl Smith >>> phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money! >>> click here to learn more

ABW Ambassador
    Congrats Karl! Now would be a good time to ask for a raise

-------------
    <font size="1">The price of Open Source is your sanity</font>

Javi:

Funny you should mention that ... that request has already been made.

---------

WOO-HOO!

Congrats on the great job, Karl! You'll likely get the raise because of your great performance, but then your affiliate income for the next fiscal year will go UP, UP, UP!!

You always have to do better than the year before...a never ending cycle...

Glad you're going to make your budget!

Andy

Andy:

Thanks! Interesting that other opportunities may arise out of this. AM was not on our company's radar before I eased it into the mix. Now that it's paying off, I think I have a bit more credibility when making other proposals.

---------

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Karl,

I am soooooooo thrilled about your news! I know how hard you worked for this and pulling it off in a corporate environment took vision and guts!

Big congrats to you and your team!

Linda Buquet 714.754.1280 :: Catalyst eMarketing Promotion & PR (Partner Relations)
    <font color="#0000FF">5 Star Affiliate Programs</font> :: High Paying, Parasite-Free, Partner-Centered Merchants!

Linda:

Thanks for the support. 5-star & Goddess programs are part of the success, of course, and will help propel us to the "next level."

As for the corporate environment ... changing it is very difficult, especially with a "mature" company such as ours. But persistence is paying off and the momentum is growing!

---------

Hey Karl...

You know I'm one of your biggest fans, so I am thrilled to hear that February was so good for you. It was only a matter of time! And it's only going to get stronger.

Congratulations - you really earned it!

-patrice

patrice.colancecco.milligan
    affiliate.manager
    ::eastwood.com::householdauto.com::integrarx.com::
    e: patrice@affiliategoddess.com | aim: patricemilligan

Patrice:

That Eastwood sale at the end of the month was a nice cherry on the sundae! The fan club is a mutual one, as you know.

Many exciting things coming up for phillyBurbians in the next few months.

---------

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by phillyBurbs.com:
    ... We're already three-quarters of the way to our annual revenue projection ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude, you need a vacation!

Akiva Bergstrom, Affiliate Partner Manager
    Email: akiva@affsolutions.com | AIM: akivabergs | ICQ: 240820068

<FONT SIZE=1> M A N A G E D P R O G R A M S

<FONT SIZE=1>> EssentialApparel.com - CJ/7.5% to 8.5%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free > Join now! <
    <FONT SIZE=1>> SportsFanfare.com - CJ/10%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free - > Join now! <
    <FONT SIZE=1>> FunToCollect.com - CJ/11%/120 days Datafeed/Parasite free - > Join now! <
    <FONT SIZE=1>> FragranceWholesale.com - CJ/10%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free - > Join now! <
    <FONT SIZE=1>> PetCareCentral.com - CJ/10%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free - > Join now! <

Akiva:

I always need a vacation!

---------

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Congrats and all, but...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> (Talking about a raise) Funny you should mention that ... that request has already been made.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have to *ask* for a raise...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I _always_ need a vacation! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And *ask* for a vacation... And you ALWAYS need a vacation!

That's not necessary when SELF-employed, ya know. Self-employed = raises and vacations on demand! Just type until the $$$ is as big as you want, and all it takes to have a vacation is packing your bags!

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

Leader, oh Leader ... (or should I say Yang?)

Asking for a raise ... So I work no more than I do now and get paid substantially more. Doesn't seem like a bad deal to me; no additional typing, etc. Actually, just the opposite. I'm putting myself in a position to do more leading, coaching, long-term planning and managing.

As for vacation, I'm willing to wager that most folks with my experience do not enjoy as much vacation time as I do, nor the flexibility in hours.

Being self-employed has its merits and I've worked for plenty of people and companies that might have driven me to join the ranks of the self-employed. But I like the environment here, yes, the corporate environment. It's not perfect, but our division is clearly the most dynamic in the company. We're changing the way a staid and seemingly immovable company does business. I'm building what I believe to be a great team and, as a manager, trying to be the opposite of what I read about here all too often.

There are positives and negatives to both sides, but this side suits me. I have said it before and it is still true - I have the utmost respect for the folks here who do AM full time and make a living at it. They are impressive in so many ways.

I guess that's the Yin of it!

---------

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> There are positives and negatives to both sides, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*Wipes glasses. Tries a pair of binoculars. STILL sees nothing negative about this side!*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> but this side suits me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Empl*yment suiting anyone will be forever more confounding than the highest trigonometry combined with programming in assembly with a bit of nuclear science thrown on top.

I just hope I can find someone who is as satisfied with empl*yment as you are if I decide to hire someone to make pages or anything else.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>*Wipes glasses. Tries a pair of binoculars. STILL sees nothing negative about this side!*<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From my perspective, probably the two biggest negatives would be resources and being a member of a team. Being part of a mid-size media company puts lots of resources at my fingertips. Our design & marketing person is, I think, terrific. Our tech manager is one of the smartest people I've ever worked with. Combined, we solve problems in ways I would have never dreamed of, even if I collaborated with someone through message boards, etc. I've enjoyed building my content team, even the challenges that they have presented (and continue to present). I love working with our newsrooms, trying to educate them on our business model and how it is quite different from what they do and even quite different from the way we operated online only a few years ago. I love working with our print advertising teams and online sales folks, developing new and, I hope, innovative programs that generate new revenue and satsify the advertisers. I got a kick out of helping out with our billboard campaign and our television campaign. I'm excited about scouting out new space for our growing division and what that could mean.

I have a proposal on the table that could dramatically change not only my job, but the entire way our interactive division functions. Me, I love meetings and business plans and all that management stuff.

The more practical stuff - regular pay, great benefits, etc. - that's great. But I know I could manage those by being self-employed. It's those things above that keep me coming back every day, and coming back eagerly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I just hope I can find someone who is as satisfied with empl*yment as you are if I decide to hire someone to make pages or anything else. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Let me know if you need some help. The folks working for me seem genuinely happy doing what they're doing - I feel comfortable saying that because I've had enough people working for me who were not.

---------

Too tired to make much of a response now, but:

Having access to lots of resources does seem like it would be good. Personally I'd want to skip the meetings, but I can see how it'd be nice to be able to just go to the right person and say "this is what I want!" That's not something I got with any j*b.

Although all this talk of "teams" gives me the shudders. I never was a team player...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I love meetings and business plans and all that management stuff.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd forget the meetings--too dull, at least they were in the one j*b I was stuck attending meetings at (Meijer's--a discount store. Talk about SUCKS! Think Wal-Mart only with endless boring meetings stealing the lunch period added to the mix!). But planning is cool.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Let me know if you need some help. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll PM with more details. But I can say right now that there's not yet enough revenue for any full-timers, unfortunately.

For now, though, it's well into the Day--time for some Zzzzs for this night person!

Yang:
    Always a pleasure!
    Yin

---------

In the words of PopDawg - doublemint post.

Hey Karl,

Good for you! Excellent I just love hearing about affiliates doing well. Like yourself I had my best month ever as well (personal salaes for my affiliate sites) ...

But hey ... March is two days longer ;-) That is another 48 hours to make sales online!

Cheers,

Brian Johnson
    Seek and you shall find
    myrxforless.com | My Affiliate Programs | InkAffiliate.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I love meetings and business plans and all that management stuff. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I was involved in the corporate world for many years, and I never minded the meetings, business plans and management stuff AS LONG AS IT WAS PRODUCTIVE! When you walk out of a meeting, and everyone is going, "What the h3ll was THAT all about?" it tells me someone has too much time on their hands, time which is not being used productively.

Further, when business plans and forecasts go to the point of being a guessing game, I view that as someone trying to justify their job. At one point, I took over responsibility for a new department, and was amazed at the dizzying array of reports this department generated. There were daily deadlines, and several employees did nothing but work on, generate, log, and follow up on the reports.

Then I asked what was done with the information. No one knew. No one used it for anything. The company was spending countless man hours processing reports that NO ONE USED! I was able to determine the people behind this ridiculous process, and they were immediately discharged, along with their expense accounts and company cars!

Big companies can get too big, get wrapped up in what they THINK is best for the company and its customers, and loose touch with what their customers REALLY want. They forget that they exist because of the customers, not in spite of the customers.

There are a few companies mentioned here at ABW from time to time that would do well to remember this...

Andy

Andy:

I've been in similar situations and make it a mission not to waste time with meetings, reports and/or plans that are meaningless.

My boss crystallized the report issue when he said, don't bother gathering information if what you learn doesn't have the potential to change the way you do things. Boy, does that cut down on a lot of reports!

As for meetings, it's kind of old-school, but I'm a believer that you end a meeting by summarizing the key points and with a clear list of tasks that need to be done, complete with deadlines and assigned responsibilities.

As for your last point, boy, is that a tough one to overcome. When I discuss our interactive business and our business plan with other divisions, I have a standard speech I deliver, because everyone outside our division seems to be an interactive expert (go figure). The crux of it is this: What you think should be on the Web site doesn't matter. What I think should be on the Web site doesn't matter. The only opinions that matter are those of our users and our advertisers and those are the opinions that are going to shape our way of doing business. It has really helped set the tone, eliminating a lot of sentences that begin "I think we should ..."

It can be an uphill battle sometimes, but I love it, especially since we're winning the battle!

---------

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread