Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    November 25th, 2005
    Posts
    639
    Articles Have Ruined My SEO
    I am relatively new to artilcle marketing so this post is both a personal account of my recent experiments and a question to other article marketers...

    I have worked long and hard over the past couple of years and by way of SEO, I have managed to get several campaigns into the top 10 of the major search engines. Well, I got greedy and thought that I'd try to push these campaigns even further with an article marketing blitz and boy did it go wrong.

    It has only been one re-indexing of Google but my articles have done well - well enough to ruin my SEO positions! In some cases my main site has slipped from number 1,2 or 3 to 30-40! The articles are up there in the top ten and I am getting inbounds from the articles but they are not converting as well as my old traffic. In the past, my SEO based traffic for one campaign converted roughly 1 in 7. Now, the article traffic is much lower (1 on 50 or so).

    So, on second thought, I should have just left well enough alone and not done the article campaign. Perhaps I should have used this technique with brand new non-SEO campaigns instead?

    Has anyone else see this effect?

  2. #2
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    October 22nd, 2006
    Posts
    1,065
    Google seems to have a bias towards big article firms like ezinearticle and squidoo who run AdSense and bring in major moolah. Its laughable to see some of my basic squidoo pages rank higher than my main sites and they also have better google page rank.

    What I have learnt is,
    1. Don't let your articles outrank your main site by not having the same or similar content in your article marketing campaign that you have in your main site.
    2. For articles, target secondary areas which will supplement your main site. Think niches that are related to your site but not the same exact niche.

  3. #3
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    November 25th, 2005
    Posts
    639
    Quote Originally Posted by sam_park
    Google seems to have a bias towards big article firms like ezinearticle and squidoo who run AdSense and bring in major moolah. Its laughable to see some of my basic squidoo pages rank higher than my main sites and they also have better google page rank.

    What I have learnt is,
    1. Don't let your articles outrank your main site by not having the same or similar content in your article marketing campaign that you have in your main site.
    2. For articles, target secondary areas which will supplement your main site. Think niches that are related to your site but not the same exact niche.
    Good points...

    I was thinking that if I did want to use articles to drive traffic to my main site that optimising for a different long tail key phrase could work too.

    Now I am thinking of setting up an article site...

  4. #4
    ABW Ambassador kse's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2005
    Posts
    2,511
    CanadianDave,
    Sorry to see your sites slip, Is the slip only with Google or with other engions as well?? Maybe it has nothing to do with your Articles just Google doing it thing?? On my main site 90% of my traffic is not from Google.

    Even though I have never created Articles but here is a suggestion: Just setup a new site that you will list in your Articles and not you main site.

    Good luck.........

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianDave
    I am relatively new to artilcle marketing so this post is both a personal account of my recent experiments and a question to other article marketers...

    I have worked long and hard over the past couple of years and by way of SEO, I have managed to get several campaigns into the top 10 of the major search engines. Well, I got greedy and thought that I'd try to push these campaigns even further with an article marketing blitz and boy did it go wrong.

    It has only been one re-indexing of Google but my articles have done well - well enough to ruin my SEO positions! In some cases my main site has slipped from number 1,2 or 3 to 30-40! The articles are up there in the top ten and I am getting inbounds from the articles but they are not converting as well as my old traffic. In the past, my SEO based traffic for one campaign converted roughly 1 in 7. Now, the article traffic is much lower (1 on 50 or so).

    So, on second thought, I should have just left well enough alone and not done the article campaign. Perhaps I should have used this technique with brand new non-SEO campaigns instead?

    Has anyone else see this effect?

  5. #5
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    November 25th, 2005
    Posts
    639
    Hi KSE,

    Thanks for the advice! I think that I have learned a valuable lesson: keep SEO and article campaigns very seperate! I did get slapped very hard by Google for about four days (I see this often enough that I don't freak-out anymore) but when everything went back to normal, I realised what I have achieved - articles on top and my main site (SEO) waaaaaay down. It looks like it is mainly Google for now...

    Hopefully this thread will be a cautionary tale for others.

    Dave

  6. #6
    Newbie
    Join Date
    September 19th, 2005
    Posts
    8
    I know I'm "Johnny Come Lately" with this thread, but it points out a great lesson with article marketing that a lot of people learn the hard way and I think (hope) I can add something to the topic here.

    Never target your articles to the same keyword terms that your own site is ranking for. The search engines love good content, but also give bumps to fresh content, so when a new article appears on a trusted source (article directory) it can get first page rankings right away and knock your site down. Eventually the article will slide down the rankings but the whole dance can be destructive to your main site's positioning.

    You want a link in your article (or author's resource box) pointing to your site and using your primary keyword (that your site ranks for) as the anchor text for boosting your site up in the ranks, but the articles themselves should be targeting a different and related term.

    And for optimal results in my experience, go very longtail with what you target in your articles because they can bring some highly qualified visitors through to your site over time in addition to being solid backlinks for you.

  7. #7
    ABW Ambassador ladidah's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 15th, 2007
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    1,888
    Quote Originally Posted by kse
    CanadianDave,
    Sorry to see your sites slip, Is the slip only with Google or with other engions as well?? Maybe it has nothing to do with your Articles just Google doing it thing?? On my main site 90% of my traffic is not from Google.
    That is awesome, may I ask if it's the other search engines?

    Quote Originally Posted by kse
    Even though I have never created Articles but here is a suggestion: Just setup a new site that you will list in your Articles and not you main site.
    I don't get this. Can you please explain the reason for this? Bit dense this morning.

    Quote Originally Posted by bpnet
    Never target your articles to the same keyword terms that your own site is ranking for. The search engines love good content, but also give bumps to fresh content, so when a new article appears on a trusted source (article directory) it can get first page rankings right away and knock your site down. Eventually the article will slide down the rankings but the whole dance can be destructive to your main site's positioning.

    You want a link in your article (or author's resource box) pointing to your site and using your primary keyword (that your site ranks for) as the anchor text for boosting your site up in the ranks, but the articles themselves should be targeting a different and related term.

    And for optimal results in my experience, go very longtail with what you target in your articles because they can bring some highly qualified visitors through to your site over time in addition to being solid backlinks for you.
    Hellavu good first post. Where have you been. First post in 4 years.

  8. #8
    ABW Ambassador kse's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 29th, 2005
    Posts
    2,511
    Hi lididah like I said be above I do not do Articles so the suggestion of setting up another site was so that his main site that he was linking to would not get lowered/droped from Google as Dave stated. My thought was if he setup a second site he would/could have two top listings. After reading the post by "bpnet" I like his suggestion and may be a better option. I am by far no SEO expert.

    I also think you were asking where the other 90% of my traffic comes from on my main site. If so alot comes from other search engions and direct links to my site. I would love to get more traffic from google and am working on that. So some days they send me alot of traffic and other days they send me next to no traffic. My ranking with Goole has improved the last month's but it is not regular traffic.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

  9. #9
    ABW Ambassador ladidah's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 15th, 2007
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    1,888
    Thanks for explaining, KSE.

    I have personally also not used article marketing and thinking about doing this eventually.

    I get lot of traffic through Google and sometimes worry about that especially if they drop you like a hot potato with the next update or decide they don't like you for one reason or the other, and decide that they will serve you with whatever the Slap Du Jour is for that day.

    So guess we're all trying to find a balance.

  10. #10
    Newbie
    Join Date
    September 19th, 2005
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by ladidah
    ...I get lot of traffic through Google and sometimes worry about that especially if they drop you like a hot potato with the next update or decide they don't like you for one reason or the other, and decide that they will serve you with whatever the Slap Du Jour is for that day.

    So guess we're all trying to find a balance.
    That's a great point! I fell into the "rely on Google" trap several years ago with one of my sites, it did very well with tons of daily search traffic, then overnight went to single digit daily visitors after a Google update.

    That felt like a slap, or penalty, to me at the time, but it really wasn't and I understand in looking back that Google was simply doing what they do, constantly tweaking their algo's and index to best serve searchers.

    So I agree that finding a balance is vital, but it can be hard when you see that good search rankings for a single term can bring more traffic than everything else you're doing, especially if you spend the majority of your promotional time and money on all the other things, then see that flood of free traffic from a single good ranking--it becomes very hard at that point to not focus on chasing more of that free traffic and letting your other efforts and traffic streams dwindle.

    Article marketing plays into that too. A lot of people use it just for the links and SEO benefits, which is fine and works, but when I'm creating an article I actually think about the 3 to 10 potential customers it will directly bring me every month over the next year more than I do the SEO rewards; those are just a bonus from my perspective.

    For example, one of my sites sees a big boost between August and October each year from Halloween sales. Last year I published an article at eZineArticles targeting those Halloween shoppers. I don't have the stats from last year at hand, but I just went through last month's stats and know that article sent me 19 visitors in August and 2 of them made purchases.

    I expect it will send even more visitors (and hopefully sales) through September and into October.

    For a 350 word article that took me less than an hour to write and publish a year ago, it's paid for my time investment over and over again with direct sales. The fact that it also helps my site's rankings with search engines is purely icing on the cake.

    But that's probably why I like article marketing so much, because I see it as a "two-fer" where you can attract direct, targeted traffic and help your site's search rankings at the same time.

  11. #11
    Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 30th, 2006
    Location
    Mansfield, Texas
    Posts
    1,561
    Are you falling behind the Ezinearticles of the world or are you posting articles and content on your site that now beat the internal pages you want to win?
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

  12. #12
    Newbie
    Join Date
    December 11th, 2009
    Posts
    1
    Call me dense, but i dont understand the question Howard. Can you pls rephrase?

    I also have published articles (only a few) to see them outrank some of my pages. I haven't seen a drop in conversions or traffic, so overall, it has not had a negative effect but it was not my goal.

    I was trying to rank for some long tail keywords i do NOT currently target with my site and clearly did something wrong because i am ranking for the main keywords with some of the articles.

    Anyone seen the same happened with classified sites?
    Last edited by rent to own cars; December 11th, 2009 at 05:52 PM. Reason: typos

  13. #13
    Newbie
    Join Date
    February 5th, 2010
    Posts
    25
    Never post any content from your site on another site

    that's how you can kill your site


    Now your site is being 'filtered' because it's duplicate content.

    Change the content on your site to unique content..and it will rank again

    or

    change the content on the article sites and your site will rank again

  14. #14
    Newbie
    Join Date
    August 11th, 2010
    Posts
    11
    If you're using duplicate articles I could certainly believe it. You should be spinning articles and things of that nature for it to work best. Also, one link in your articles is plenty..you shouldn't have multiple links in your articles.

  15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. SEO Articles & Tools
    By ahmar in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 24th, 2004, 10:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •