Question Is this 'proper' for an affilate to do?
    I am a newbie and trying to understand some of the acceptable business practices of this business. I am sorry if these are stupid questions, but I think that doing things the right and honest way is important.

These questions are based on me setting up an internet storefront site using affiliate merchants and/or affiliate networks to provide the actual product for sale. The products would all be related to the theme of the storefront.

1. Is it okay to sell the same type of product from different merchants and/or affiliate programs? For example, if I were to set up a storefront to sell running shoes, is it okay to offer running shoes from Nike, Adidas, New Balance, etc.? And is this an acceptable practice with different affiliate networks?

2. Is there a way to configure a storefront with affilate products so that the buyer is not redirected to the merchant's site, or maybe doesn't realize that they are purchasing from another site? I'm thinking that if they come back 6 months later for another pair of running shoes, they will go directly to the merchant site who provided the actual product rather than returnng to my site (I know that the affiliate cookies only last 30-90 days in most cases).

Thank you - and please ask me to clarify my questions if I am not being clear.

1/ ad 2/ seem ok to me, but this depend of conditions of the merchant
    remember that a merchant would have no sale at all if you, the affiliate, choose another one, so... merchant prefer little money than no money most of the time

Exclamation
    most, if not all, merchants expect to "own" the customer. you have to make your site very compelling for it to stick in the customer's mind to bring them back.

No. 1 should be fine, you should ask the merchant to be sure but I have a few sites that show the same type of product from different merchants.

As for No. 2, this would be a little harder. You would have to talk to the merchant about doing this. But instead of trying to do it this way to get a repeat sale, it's better to give the customer a reason to return to you rather than going directly through the merchant. Add value to their shopping experience and make them want to return to you.

Oh, and welcome to ABW and good luck with your affiliate journey!

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    1. Is it okay to sell the same type of product from different merchants and/or affiliate programs? For example, if I were to set up a storefront to sell running shoes, is it okay to offer running shoes from Nike, Adidas, New Balance, etc.? And is this an acceptable practice with different affiliate networks?

yes, of course

2. Is there a way to configure a storefront with affilate products so that the buyer is not redirected to the merchant's site, or maybe doesn't realize that they are purchasing from another site? I'm thinking that if they come back 6 months later for another pair of running shoes, they will go directly to the merchant site who provided the actual product rather than returnng to my site (I know that the affiliate cookies only last 30-90 days in most cases).

while I think a few merchants offer shopping cart integration, most don't. Tricking the customer into thinking they are buying from you seems very unethical to me. Furthermore, if they think that they're buying from you, they'll go to you for support and service.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jkgourmet
    Funny you should ask this...I am literally chatting with an affiliate right now about this. Here is some of the log without giving any person information away.

[10:57] legacyaffiliates: typically the BEST way for promotion is review sites
    [10:57] Affiliate: why is that?
    [10:57] legacyaffiliates: there are no household names in the ballroom dance instruction
    [10:57] legacyaffiliates: in other words...there are no Nikes or Sonys
    [10:58] legacyaffiliates: we are BY FAR the most known and still no one knows us
    [10:58] legacyaffiliates: so what happens is this...
    [10:58] legacyaffiliates: they click your link...
    [10:58] legacyaffiliates: then they right down some stuff
    [10:58] legacyaffiliates: then they go back to Google
    [10:58] legacyaffiliates: click on another
    [10:58] legacyaffiliates: but that site is a review site
    [10:58] legacyaffiliates: they already kind of liked our product
    [10:58] legacyaffiliates: it looked good
    [10:58] legacyaffiliates: it was affordable
    [10:59] legacyaffiliates: in fact, they were going to buy it probably
    [10:59] legacyaffiliates: but then the review site sold them
    [10:59] legacyaffiliates: so they clicked on the link from them
    [10:59] legacyaffiliates: and now THAT affiliate gets the sale
    [11:00] legacyaffiliates: so your 1-3 sales you might have made .... POOF!
    [11:00] legacyaffiliates: they are not in the hands of another affiliate
    [11:00] legacyaffiliates: 2 sales would have made up the $80
    [11:00] legacyaffiliates: well, that is my opinion at least
    [11:00] Affiliate: Well, thats another lesson learned and hard worked money thrown away.... So your suggestion is definitely going with a review site?
    [11:00] legacyaffiliates: yes
    [11:01] legacyaffiliates: most ppl would say no
    [11:01] legacyaffiliates: because they want all the direct clicks
    [11:01] legacyaffiliates: why would I want you to promote our COMPETITORS?
    [11:01] legacyaffiliates: because I know it converts best
    [11:01] legacyaffiliates: and both of us will make more sales

I love review sites and so do customers. Why offer only one product unless you are the merchant?

Quote Originally Posted by jkgourmet
    Simple answer...ask the merchant what they are willing to do.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread