A Newbie Question about e-mail accounts
    I'm still learning my way around so I hope this is the right place to ask my question about e-mail accounts. I beg your pardon if it's not.

My web host offers e-mail accounts but I was reading somewhere, possibly here that if you ever decided to change host there could be problems. My e-mail account defaults to google g-mail.

Is it not not advisable for any reason to have a regular yahoo or hotmail account associated with your websites to give you more flexibility and control

eg: luckywebsite@yahoo.com or hotmail.com.

or are there some legal or technical issues that make it not ok?

ABW Ambassador
    Not sure, I've always used my hotmail account for most stuff (signing up to networks, mechants etc.) without any problem. Every now and then I need a "something at mysite.com" and I have one domain for that. And that one gets forwarded to my hotmail account. On my sites I don't use email, just forms for people to contact me with.

I handle on-site email basically as Trust does -- I don't offer an email address. I set up a "Contact Us" form. (I set up mostly WordPress sites and use a really nifty wp plugin -- Easy Contact.)

As for other email, I have a domain I use when I need to set up a more "personal" email, otherwise I use gmail addresses for stuff like contacting merchants, affiliate networks, even the webhosting company where I have my domains.
    Generate more fake news.

No Longer Banned!
    Lightbulb How I handle My Email...
    Good Question.

I am different from Gary and Trust a bit. I have used my /contact button on the forum quite a bit to shake the spammers a little bit.

I offer my corporate mail in my pages. I want to hear from my visitors.

I use my YAHOO! address as a catch all. I get perhaps thousands of spams a year there. I tend to give that to all of the places you sign up for and I give it to those who don't feed me or buy my wares.

For those who are my merchants or are prospective clients/ employees and so on, I again use my corporate address.

I think giving your biz addy is a darn good idea, yep ! - But be very careful who you give it to. Once you start getting 2k spam mails a week @ your domain dot com, it's hard to turn back.

You don't wanna have a few dozen jerks basically stalking you.

Hope this helps !

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

Thank you Steve
    Firstly, Steve, thanks for the excellent reply that I think will help many of us newbies.
    Secondly, thanks for including your website in your profile - gives us all a look at what we can accomplish for real, instead of just in our imaginations.
    Thirdly, would you please PM or send me an email, or go to the chat room. I have a question I would like to ask you, but would rather not post it on the board as it may not be acceptable practice (there seem to be a lot of rules around here that are sometimes hard to know ahead of time).
    Thank you, and I hope you will contact me.

Writerguy pretty much sums up what I have, contact us forms, I use gmail for all my sign ups and for ones like sas i used my hosting provided email address. What I don't understand is my plan says I can have 2500 emails, isn't that bit excessive, I always though like 2 or three why would anyone need that many?
    I attract success and abundance into my life because that is who I am.

I've been partial to gmail for some time now. (I know some folks are fearful of the Big G and privacy. Heck, I figure they're nearly "all knowing" by this point anyhow.)

The beauty of gmail is that I can both store all the email on their server AND download it via Thunderbird/Outlook/Whatever to my hard drive. Just one more little nicety for keeping backups of my important email.

And gmail's spam flitering is pretty good for eliminating all the junk, too.
    Generate more fake news.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by jkgourmet
    Firstly, Steve, thanks for the excellent reply that I think will help many of us newbies.
    Secondly, thanks for including your website in your profile - gives us all a look at what we can accomplish for real, instead of just in our imaginations.
    Thirdly, would you please PM or send me an email, or go to the chat room. I have a question I would like to ask you, but would rather not post it on the board as it may not be acceptable practice (there seem to be a lot of rules around here that are sometimes hard to know ahead of time).
    JK you can't get PM's yet.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks everyone I never even thought about a contact form, my host offers wordpress too. Good idea

No Longer Banned!
    Thumbs up SAy J, I just saw yer Mssg....
    Quote Originally Posted by jkgourmet
    JK

Sorry for the late reply JK. Been in the hospital for the past week. I missed ASW 09 due to being hospitalised twice.

J, I can't contact you. You have no PM privileges yet and you have your email icon disabled.

Also, you do not have your Hompage! icon turned on in your profile name. -Please enable these 3 components.

You can contact me via my /contact button on my site. I answer all inquiries.

@Loxly: Plz fwd this messg to JK. - Thanks !!

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveWilliams
    JK

Sorry for the late reply JK. Been in the hospital for the past week. I missed ASW 09 due to being hospitalised twice.

J, I can't contact you. You have no PM privileges yet and you have your email icon disabled.

Also, you do not have your Hompage! icon turned on in your profile name. -Please enable these 3 components.

You can contact me via my /contact button on my site. I answer all inquiries.

@Loxly: Plz fwd this messg to JK. - Thanks !!

Steve
    How would I forward him a message? He should get the email notification to come back to the thread.

Hope you are getting better!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

No Longer Banned!
    Thank You Ms. Loxly....
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    How would I forward him a message? He should get the email notification to come back to the thread.

Hope you are getting better!
    Loxly

I am not sure how your mod privs work. I guess I hoped you had access to his email addy and would fwd him a mssg. I did on my board. I could also enable the features for the user. Perhaps it is different for you ??

I am finally getting the doctor I have begged for for the last 24 years. It seems unbelievable to me that I got hurt twice serving my country and I could not get the medical care I was promised and that I earned. That's how it is though sometimes. Perhaps now my daily headaches will finally go away forever. - Thanks for asking.

Steve

I always use an email address for one of my sites when signing up to affiliate programs.

There is no legal reason to do so, it just looks more professional to merchants who sometimes care, often don't.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread