Question Newbie question re: domains for blogs
    Ok - thanks to you guys I know to pay for my own domain and get a domain host for my selected niche . Mission accomplished. Even got my first choice domain name .com. I will be using word press for this (again, TY for the information on that!). I am less concerned with monetizing this blog than building good content, traffic, a reputation and learning the ropes (at least the tiny liitle threads that can eventually build a strong rope.)

If my long range goal is to use the blog as a starting point to support a related site that is more like a storefront (affiliate products), should I begin the blog using that firstchoice.com name that I already have, or should I register another domain name for the blog? If the latter, should it be similar, like firstchoice-blog.com?

If you are planning to build a full site and have the blog as an additional resource you don't need to buy another domain, just install it in its own folder and call it whatever you want. Its URL would be http : // yourdomain.com/foldername

If you are planning to have your WP blog as the main site landing page (http : // yourdomain.com) then install it in your domain folder and you can add in linked html pages to the same or other folders. The choices are available in the WP settings and in Fantastico if you are using that to install your WP. It might help to read around on the Wordpress.org site to learn more about the differences.

Thanks 2busy - you've given me a place to start figuring this out, and I appreciate it. One additional question: Is this something that can be changed later? Can I use the //yourdomain.com as the landing page of my blog NOW, and later move the entire blog to a //yourdomain.com/foldername and use the //yourdomain.com as the landing page?
    (if this is a dumb question, please accept my apologies.)

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jkgourmet
    Thanks 2busy - you've given me a place to start figuring this out, and I appreciate it. One additional question: Is this something that can be changed later? Can I use the //yourdomain.com as the landing page of my blog NOW, and later move the entire blog to a //yourdomain.com/foldername and use the //yourdomain.com as the landing page?
    (if this is a dumb question, please accept my apologies.)
    If you do that you'll just be causing problems for yourself later because you'll be causing broken links when you move wordpress from domain root to a subdirectory(Internal links you added in your posts).

The search engines would be looking for your old URLs and bookmarks people make would also be bad.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread