Programming/Solutions for Expired Coupons
    Hey everyone -

Hope to be spending a lot of time in this forum as I am building a network of niche sites that will be heavily monetized through the traditional coupon route.

Since I recognize a lot of the regular posters in this forum (and their sites) I was curious to know how you all deal with the problem of expired coupons. Because I built my "test run" site in Wordpress, I've had to spend a lot of time coming up with a custom solution to this issue because each coupon is being published as its own post. Consequently, this presents problems from an SEO perspective as well as a usability issue; coupons that are published and then expire are being indexed within the SERPs, where people are then clicking through to the (then) expired coupon. I've had to have a script customized that will allow me to upload data and have it tie to an expiration date, where it is then removed; however, I'm still working out the kinks of it.

Now I know many of you probably have this set up differently through HTML/PHP but I was curious as to how you guys take care of this issue. What is your process when coupons expire and if you have each coupon tied to a separate URL, what do you do to ensure that:

A. The user is able to go to another place in your site's hierarchy without simply seeing a 404 page
    and
    B. that the engines don't then penalize you for a dead link? (bulk 301 re-directs?)

Since it's been a challenging issue for me, I figure it's probably one for the others trying to build & scale this model. How are you guys doing it?

No time for forums (fori? forae?) RiverStyx's Avatar
    You could try...
    I use WordPress a lot and often wind up customizing page templates. You could try creating one (permanent) page per category and pull only current coupons for display. That way, the page would always be current and on topic...

Quote Originally Posted by RiverStyx
    I use WordPress a lot and often wind up customizing page templates. You could try creating one (permanent) page per category and pull only current coupons for display. That way, the page would always be current and on topic...
    Yeah that's essentially what I'm trying to do, at least on the home page side. I haven't thought about doing it on the category side though, as I still have my categories set up as actual WP 'archive' categories. Interesting idea.

ABW Ambassador
    Expired coupons (and what to do with the traffic) are a real problem. I have created my own custom CMS that auto-expires coupons based on the expiry date (they just don't display after the expiry date). I do not use individual pages for each coupon for the reasons that you are stating in this thread. When I log into my CMS I get prompted with a list of coupons due to expire this week to remind me to replace the expired coupons with a current working offer from the same merchant. There are a few networks that are picking-up on this and offering merchant populated coupon feeds (like Avantlink). They are kind of fire-and-forget coupon links maintained by the merchant.

Yes, you don't want to create individual pages for each coupon. I think a better solution is to use a specialized coupon script that operates for this purpose. Expiration is automatic and easy when the software is built for coupons specifically.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread