photo shop
    any good suggestions on how to learn photo shop??

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdp2000
    any good suggestions on how to learn photo shop??
    Those who know it, know it.

I bought it years ago and was devistated.

Too complicated for a simple guy like myself.

I use Adobe Fireworks....

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

the problem for me is i have to learn it , we do all our web work using photo shop . i just better just buy the book for dummies

I use PhotoShop Elements almost every day. But I just need to "process" digital images for display - nothing fancy - I do the composition in the camera. I have the full PhotoShop on both my Mac and PC but never use it.

If I recall, the tutorials were pretty good as an introduction, but that's as far as I got before I discovered "Elements" (which came with both the Mac and PC version on the same disk).
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

ABW Ambassador
    learning+photoshop

10 years ago I bought a series of photoshop videos that changed my life.

Photoshop the the very best!

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant Consultant Team
    learning+photoshop

10 years ago I bought a series of photoshop videos that changed my life.

Photoshop the the very best!
    That's a Google search.

Which ones did you buy???????

If you liked them so much, I'll buy them now.

Gotta look to the future.

On a side note.... Whoever does the creative for WORX is a genius with PS!

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )

Also do a search in youtube their are alot of Demos their. I discoved some time ago that you can get alot of training videos for all kinds of software on Youtube

>youtube

While I'm not a PS user, I agree that's likely to be a great starting point. We're currently working with the Sony Vegas video editor products and youtube really has some good tutorials.

Ben – The AIM Group
    Well PhotoShop & Illustrator are both awesome! But complicated. Once you get the basics then you can roll with it, play around, and figuire things out.

The bottom right corner is the most important part of Ps I believe, "Layers". Here is where you really construct an image and are able to build the layers much the same as an artists canvass. Remember the bottom layer is always the background, and then anything on top of that goes in sequence ontop of each layer you start. You can create new layers by clicking the window inside another window option right at the bottom left hand side of the screen.

Here is an excellent link on Ps tutorials:
    http://psd.tutsplus.com/

I suggest you give yourself sometime on your own, sit down and play with everything. Taking courses are very expensive, but suprisingly once you learn the basics, the details just come. I learnt is on my own, it was a fun, but time consuming as well. You just need to be patient, once you figure it out, it becomes clear how to use it.

The magic wand tool for selecting individual parts of your image is important. The "shift +F5" sequence to fill colors and layers is important as well.

Good luck! Have fun, you cant break it, so mess around!

I use Photoshop every day too. Got it for the PC first now on the mac. When you buy it, it comes with some video tutorials. Also www.lynda.com has greet FREE introductory videos and if you need more indept detail you can get an annual membership. I tell you the membership is worth it if you will be doing lots in photoshop in the future but as a newbie, just go through the free ones first because there is lots of info there that may overwhelm you. Videos are the best way to learn because you can follow along with your own software and actually work with the tutorial.

http and a telephoto
    Adobe has a full slate of tutorials on adobe.tv Everything you ever wanted to know how to do with any of their products and it doesn't cost anything.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    yes, there are plenty of free tutorials online however much can be said for being brave and just trying tools/filters/adjustments and seeing what they do.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Adobe has a full slate of tutorials on adobe.tv Everything you ever wanted to know how to do with any of their products and it doesn't cost anything.
    Great resourse...thanks a ton Loxly!

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Spent over an hour there last night before hitting the sack and didn't even scratch the surface.

Excellent resource...

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    If you want a photo editing program that is lightyears simpler, free, and uses about 1/100 of your computer's resources, try Photoscape. True, it won't do a lot that Photoshop will, but for most jobs, it does what I need to do, and nicely. See http://photoscape.org/ps/main/index.php
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Affiliate Manager
    I've used Photoshop in the past, but over the last several years find that I strongly prefer Fireworks. Designed from the ground up specifically for making web interfaces, Fireworks offers a vector-based workflow that I find much more flexible and intuitive than Photoshop's layers, and yet still supports most Photoshop filters so I can do all the image manipulation I used to, but in an environment dedicated to web work.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Buy a book.

Videos and tutorials move far too slowly and then you miss the important bit. Like many big programmes, you will use only 10% of it most of the time. Also the book shows you useful stuff that you never knew about.

Well thanks everyone for the info i bought photo shop book for dummies last night and will give it a read and use some helpful tools that everyone is recommending also. thanks again for the responding

If there are specific things in photoshop that you need help with, you might want to try metacafe.com. They have a lot of helpful little instructional videos.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread