Does using nofollow make a difference?
    I am overhauling my site and redoing everything, I'm thinking of writing a script to set the links on my site that are affiliate links to "nofollow".
    Does this really make a difference in the search engines?
    In advance thank for your help guys.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cav
    I am overhauling my site and redoing everything, I'm thinking of writing a script to set the links on my site that are affiliate links to "nofollow".
    Does this really make a difference in the search engines?
    In advance thank for your help guys.
    Am pretty darned sure that not implementing the " no-follow " tag cost me a PR6 to a PR4 last year...

So it may be relevant......

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

supposedly google has made some changes over the last year re: nofollow. - i.e using nofollow doesn't help 'hoard' or 'sculpt' PR, it just 'evaporates'
    http://www.bruceclay.com/newsletter/...-nofollow.html

plus - If you use redirected affiliate links, PR doesnt pass through them anyway.

Just wondering "Are affiliate links considered a Paid Link???" Here is what I got from google about to nofollow tag:

Paid links and most other search engines use links to determine reputation. A site's ranking in Google search results is partly based on analysis of those sites that link to it. Link-based analysis is an extremely useful way of measuring a site's value, and has greatly improved the quality of web search. Both the quantity and, more importantly, the quality of links count towards this rating.

However, some SEOs and webmasters engage in the practice of buying and selling links that pass PageRank, disregarding the quality of the links, the sources, and the long-term impact it will have on their sites. Buying or selling links that pass PageRank is in violation of Google's webmaster guidelines and can negatively impact a site's ranking in search results.

Not all paid links violate our guidelines. Buying and selling links is a normal part of the economy of the web when done for advertising purposes, and not for manipulation of search results. Links purchased for advertising should be designated as such. This can be done in several ways, such as:

•Adding a rel="nofollow" attribute to the <a> tag
    •Redirecting the links to an intermediate page that is blocked from search engines with a robots.txt file

Google works hard to ensure that it fully discounts links intended to manipulate search engine results, such excessive link exchanges and purchased links that pass PageRank. If you see a site that is buying or selling links that pass PageRank, let us know. We'll use your information to improve our algorithmic detection of such links.

"Are affiliate links considered a Paid Link???"
    No

The article refers to SEO arrangements between webmasters: link to my site and I'll link to yours because my site sucks and no one will ever voluntarily link to my site.

~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Ok I not a SEO expert and I have yet to have a coffee this morning but I would like to point out a few thing I read in the Matt Cutts article:

Point 1 - Whenever I read a direct quote from Matt Cutts he is talking abought not using nofollow on you internal Links not external:

“My short answer is no. In general, whenever you’re linking around within your site: don’t use nofollow. Just go ahead and link to whatever stuff.”

Point 2 - They keep saying that nofollow was used for Page Rank purpose. I thought I read that another use of the nofollow was to reduce the number for external links on your page. The search engines would not count the links that had nofollow on them??

I do not think affiliates were using the nofollow on their CJ, SAS, GAN, etc links due to the fact they did not was to give the networks a better page rank. I believe it was to cut down on external links on the page and to keep the engine on their site to search more internal pages.

Any comments?
    Last edited by kse; July 26th, 2009 at 07:56 AM. Reason: spelling

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    I hate Matt Cutt's advice...

The first thing I did after my site was NUKED by Google, was to search out Matt's advice and try to fix it.....

No Luck!

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

The way I am doing it is to nofollow all affiliate links, and leave my internal site links alone.

I wouldn't bother to "nofollow" affiliate links, G knows what they are anyway. Formerly a lot of outbound links without a corresponding level of inbound links could hurt, but they have redesigned that part of the algo so that you're better off to "Let the link juice flow". A quick read is at www.mattcutts.com/blog/pagerank-sculpting/ and the bottom line there is:
    [*] Nofollow links definitely don’t pass PageRank. Over the years, I’ve seen a few corner cases where a nofollow link did pass anchortext, normally due to bugs in indexing that we then fixed. The essential thing you need to know is that nofollow links don’t help sites rank higher in Google’s search results.

I never worry about them. I get nice traffic and it's been steady and growing for years. If you worry about all the numbers you will go nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by MeeMaw
    I never worry about them. I get nice traffic and it's been steady and growing for years. If you worry about all the numbers you will go nuts.
    Hooray. That sounds like some of the best advice I've read in a long time.

Sometimes I know I get so hung up on some fine points I've read about SEO, or I hear someone who seems to know much more SEO than I suggest something -- and I'll spend hours trying to sort out the options because I fear I might be doing something really bad or at least really inferior.

Then a post like yours comes along and reminds me of some advice I think someone said here once years ago (probably Donuts or Leader?). I can't quote it for sure, but it went something like this:

The two most important things for affiliate marketing success are:

1. Build sites and pages for customers, not for search engines.
    2. Keep building sites and pages every day.

Thanks for helping to keep me focused on those basics.
    Generate more fake news.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread