I just did a spot check of product links on my site. I checked several merchants. All of them show a status of expired. Has anyone else noticed this?

I hope this is a temporary problem.

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

All individual product links (seperate AIDs) were migrated over to catalogs (one AID for all products). Although the old product links were expired they will continue to work for a few more months. I will need to get the exact story on Monday.

Bottom line - don't panic. We aren't turning off the old product links.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

ABW Ambassador
    Todd,

I recal seeing something about this proposal a while back and their was speculation on if the change would impact direct links. I don't recall the exact reasons for the change but I believe it was in relation to the merchant feeds.

Would you mind elaborating on why this change is needed and how it will benefit affiliates?

Thanks in advance.

Todd wrote:
    quote:
    Although the old product links were expired they will continue to work for a few more months.

Oh, great. That means I need to plan on changing out hundreds of links on hundreds of pages over the next few months?

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

happymoon,

I don't understand your question. The reason we changed product links was to make them more scalable. We needed to aggregate all produccts from each advertiser into catalogs. This means that each advertiser's products share the same AID now. These changes do not affect other link types (banners, text, etc.).

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Andy,

I would hold off on panicing until I can get you the whole story. If links are generating traffic and commissions, I doubt they would ever get expired (to the point of not serving and tracking). Eventually we will remove links that get no impressions or clicks but beyond that the rest will most likely work forever.

I'lll post more next week.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    I doubt they would ever get expired

This is the main concern here. So long as the links can track sales, fine. But if they will be truly expired at some point, both affiliates AND merchants are in for a rough ride.

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

Andy

I've Just spent an hour and a half checking into this too.

I'm finding my product links are working fine when I click on the links from my site.

When I click on the product numbers on "CJ Transaction Report" I get an ('expired' message) on the pop-ups.

I also noticed no commissions have shown up for product links since Dec 6.

This would explain the lower than expected commissions for the last two days.

Todd

Please don't take this as a complaint. I used to be a service tech. So what I'm trying to do here is give you a detailed observation, hoping it may help you shed a light on the problem.

As far as your suggestion:

quote:
    hold off on panicing until I can get you the whole story

Well... As long as the booz holds out, there shouldn't be a problem. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

Cow Patch...

FYI - if a link (even if it is expired) still redirects you to the advertiser's site (via qksrv.net) then CJ set a tracking cookie and the sale or lead will get tracked.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by 14K_Deelz:
    quote:
    I doubt they would ever get expired

This is the main concern here. So long as the links can track sales, fine. But if they will be truly expired at some point, both affiliates AND merchants are in for a rough ride.

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

Not only that, but many of my links are seasonal. I'm seeing sales for things I had totally forgotten about, but yes, they are christmas type sales. What about that Todd? I also know I have some links that are very much summertime only and die after the fall. How long do you give a product link to convert before you kill it?

I just don't see the reason for these kinds of changes. What harm does it do to have a link sit there? If a merchant does not want to display it anymore, then turn off the displaying at CJ, but leave the link adn tracking in tact.

http://SearchToSale.com - Turns your search box into money.

I'll post more about this on Monday. All old product links still work and continue to track.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

What's the word, Todd? I sincerely hope this is not the reason I had to replace many of my image product links today with one of my merchants.... they were showing blanks.

I know I am not the biggest you've got but if I have to redo product links I am looking at some 5000 on 700 different product web pages - not the nicest thing to look forward to.

Abigail

OK, here's the update on the expired product links.

All product links generated (get links tab or via catalog feeds) prior to December 6, 2002 have been expired. This means publishers can no longer find these links in the CJ system or get them via catalog feeds. All of these links will continue to be served and will track sales (provided the links are current on the advertisers' sites).

On February 20, 2003, CJ will remove all product links that have never generated an impression or a click. These links will no longer be served or track sales.

In other words, if you have product links on your site and they have had impressions or clicks, they will continue to serve images and track sales.

We have no plans to remove old product links that continue to generate clicks and sales. We have no intentions to remove links that generate traffic to advertisers or earn publishers commissions.

Should you have further questions regarding product links, please contact client services.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

ABW Ambassador
    Is this based on CJ clicks/impressions/sales, or actual clicks/impressions/sales? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

quote:
    Originally posted by ToddCrawford, CJ.com:
    In other words, if you have product links on your site and they have had impressions or clicks, they will continue to serve images and track sales.

Supras | Celicas

Todd,

How are we supposed to check on the "old" product links to see if they still work? Click on all of them and ruin our EPC?

Before, there was a URL conveniently available on the link detail, which we could click to see the destination page. This made it easy to check to see if the item was out of stock, if the link was dead, if the item had been moved, and so on.

Now there is no way to do this without opening another window, going to our site, finding the page the link is on, clicking the link, closing the window, etc. In short, it is no longer convenient to check product links.

Why was this functionality eliminated?

Andy

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread