Getting 200 clicks per day, but no sales
    I am new to CJ. I have landing pages for each product -- mostly software -- I promote.

However, even though I get about 60 or more clicks per software product, no sales.

Is this unusual?

My Pay for Click bill is going up every day.

Or do software products need many more clicks to convert.

Appreciate any insight.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Put some AdSense on those pages ......

Monetizing pages is what we are all about around here....

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Thanks for the advice.

CJ is probably stealing your sales ... or poaching your traffic thru toolbars and other parasites.

Go join Shareasale and put up the software merchant links in place of the CJ links.
    There are some good converting software merchants on Shareasale. With Adsense and
    Sharasale merchants, you should do very much better.

Quote Originally Posted by net4biz
    CJ is probably stealing your sales ... or poaching your traffic thru toolbars and other parasites.

Go join Shareasale and put up the software merchant links in place of the CJ links.
    There are some good converting software merchants on Shareasale. With Adsense and
    Thanks for the info. How exactly does someone steal sales through toolbars and parasites.

I've seen this come up quite often in regard to CJ. What does it mean.

By the way, thanks for the info.

ABW has a lot of information about toolbars and parasites. It pays to search the forums. It is a very broad topic and not easily covered in one post, but something that you need to learn about. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    ABW has a lot of information about toolbars and parasites. It pays to search the forums. It is a very broad topic and not easily covered in one post, but something that you need to learn about. Good luck.
    Thanks. I'll do a search now.

Quote Originally Posted by net4biz

Comments like this are do absolutely nothing to help the credibility of posters like you. It's all conspiracy theory and hearsay.

last reporter - although toolbars and parasites do exist, most of the complaints you'll find on this board are due to inexperience and lack of ingenuity by the posters. If they can't make things work, it's obviously not their fault, someone is stealing from them

Back on topic, IMO 60 clicks is not a relative sample to make an indication as to whether or not your campaign is going to succeed. Tweak your ad copy, ad more keywords, A/B test your landing pages, and get more volume. If you're not converting with 6,000 clicks in a few days, then you're doing something wrong and you can adjust your campaign.

If you don't have the budget to run that kind of volume, you're in the wrong business - you'll never be able to compete in PPC on CJ without a pretty hefty bankroll to begin with. As noted before, you'll probably have more success with the smaller networks (ShareASale was mentioned).
    [FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=Navy]Jonathan Claydon | [email]jclaydon@real.com[/email][/COLOR] |[COLOR=Gray] Director - Affiliate and Partner Marketing[/COLOR] |[/B] [COLOR=Blue]Real[/COLOR]Networks, Inc.[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by jclaydon
    Comments like this are do absolutely nothing to help the credibility of posters like you. It's all conspiracy theory and hearsay.

last reporter - although toolbars and parasites do exist, most of the complaints you'll find on this board are due to inexperience and lack of ingenuity by the posters. If they can't make things work, it's obviously not their fault, someone is stealing from them

Back on topic, IMO 60 clicks is not a relative sample to make an indication as to whether or not your campaign is going to succeed. Tweak your ad copy, ad more keywords, A/B test your landing pages, and get more volume. If you're not converting with 6,000 clicks in a few days, then you're doing something wrong and you can adjust your campaign.

If you don't have the budget to run that kind of volume, you're in the wrong business - you'll never be able to compete in PPC on CJ without a pretty hefty bankroll to begin with. As noted before, you'll probably have more success with the smaller networks (ShareASale was mentioned).
    I completely agree with everything said above. Everyone see's varying levels of success with affiliate marketing, so to say that all failed attempts are due to parasites and toolbars is just ridiculous, as there could be a number of reasons why a publisher does not convert.

With PPC bidding, you may want to look at several things. Firstly, who are you promoting. Take a good look at their site and ask yourself if you, as a customer, would buy from them. If you're answer is no, then you probably want to reconsider promoting the advertiser any further. Also, it may be wroth asking some merchants if you can bid on trademark terms or at least variations of them. Most will probably decline, but if you do get one, or can swing a deal, then you may start to see the difference.

Finally, as jclaydon noted, you probably want to increase the # of clicks you do send to determine the success of your campaigns. The internet spans the entire world, and even if you're just targetting the US and/or Canada, that population is HUGE and in that sense, 60 clicks a day isnt all that much.
    [B]Quy Le - Affiliate Manager[/B] [CJ, SAS]
    Email: quy.l@cymax.com
    Office: 1-866-740-9830 ext 235
    [URL=http://www.cymax.com]Cymax Stores - Internet Retailer Top 500[/URL]
    [URL=https://signup.cj.com/member/brandedPublisherSignUp.do?air_refmerchantid=2461201]CJ Network Earnings Rating: 4/5 - Sign Up Today![/URL]

-"[I]You Always Succeed in the Pursuit of Mediocrity...[/I]"

Quote Originally Posted by RemodelingGuy
    Put some AdSense on those pages ......
    I've heard (and had some personal experience) that AdSense on your PPC landing pages can be a one-way ticket to poor quality scores, as Google will interpret it as trying to play a click-arbitrage game. Could be wrong though.
    Your Ad Here.

Quote Originally Posted by jclaydon

Thanks for the solid knowledge, I really appreciate it. Again, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cymax Stores
    I completely agree with everything said above. Everyone see's varying levels of success with affiliate marketing, so to say that all failed attempts are due to parasites and toolbars is just ridiculous, as there could be a number of reasons why a publisher does not convert.

With PPC bidding, you may want to look at several things. Firstly, who are you promoting. Take a good look at their site and ask yourself if you, as a customer, would buy from them. If you're answer is no, then you probably want to reconsider promoting the advertiser any further. Also, it may be wroth asking some merchants if you can bid on trademark terms or at least variations of them. Most will probably decline, but if you do get one, or can swing a deal, then you may start to see the difference.

Finally, as jclaydon noted, you probably want to increase the # of clicks you do send to determine the success of your campaigns. The internet spans the entire world, and even if you're just targetting the US and/or Canada, that population is HUGE and in that sense, 60 clicks a day isnt all that much.
    Thanks for the info.

Make sure your ads aren't appearing on broad-matched keywords that don't indicate buying behavior. For instance, make sure to negative match warez, crack, free, and similar phrases. Also, if you're in a competitive marketplace, with many more merchants selling the same software, good luck making a profit. Also, your landing page just might suck compared to the other landing pages out there.

Thanks for the info. What you say makes sense.

The answer is simple...what are you doing to make them buy? Reviews? Coupons?

Quote Originally Posted by last reporter
    I am new to CJ. I have landing pages for each product -- mostly software -- I promote.

However, even though I get about 60 or more clicks per software product, no sales.

Is this unusual?

Appreciate any insight.

Personally, I usually see a 1% to 2% conversion ratio. For every 100 visitors that visit my site, at least 1 or 2 convert into sales. I've had as high as 10%, but that's rare.

I think a 1%-2% conversion ratio is the rough standard. But if you talk about getting more targeted and specific traffic, it can go up

It depends on the people your reaching...I have seen 10,000 clicks and no sales before

Quote Originally Posted by last reporter

Is this unusual?

Appreciate any insight.
    I've been in your situation before, and I know the feeling. Here's how I remedied it:

Take a look at the products, keywords and landing pages. For each keyword, product and landing page where you are getting those clicks, ask the following questions:

1. Is this keyword relevant to someone who wants to buy the product?
    2. Does my ad properly pre-sell or call a person to action to buy? (or at least click and look)
    3. Does my page really sell the user? Does it provide them some value that will convince people to buy or at least return to find out more if they aren't?

In addition to many of the suggestions above, like checking if your merchant is even worth promoting (some aren't), just look through your site and see if it really is worth it to the end user.

Hopefully this will help you get it rolling. You do need to take time and make sure you are sure before pausing anything; just stick with it and make a worthwhile site.

Be advised that the ones saying my comments are not good are employees of merchants or networks who benefit from your efforts whether you sell something
    or not ... they are NOT affiliates who make their living as such.

They have a vested interest in the status quo.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread