Browser usage by shoppers??
    Not sure if anybody knows this answer or if it's even been answered before. Been kinda havin this ongoing umm discussion with husband over this topic.

Think ie might have more people worldwide using it but of those people using it are they actually people purchasing online? Personally, I hate ie and don't use it except to check on somethin sometimes. I shop online and use mozilla but don't know if I'm the average shopper or not.

Of my sites one was made by both of us and he has rather strong feelings about the way some of it was made. lol I make my sites pretty much just goin into the code and doin it. He only knows the lil bit of code he's learned from me since making this site so he makes it with Frontpage in the design mode, which I guess makes it a bit differently.

He was very happy with it before ie8 came out but not happy now lookin at it in it. He still loves how it looks in the other browsers tho. I don't wanna make the necessary changes to please ie8 browser since it's the only one showin it that way. (I know what he's done so can change it so it looks the same in all the browsers but would be very time consuming)

According to lastest statistics for that site ie8 used to be the most popular but oddly enough now it's ie7. (I told em the people who were using ie8 were probably sooooo horrified with it, they went back to ie7 lol )

So...anyway, does anybody actually know the percentages of browsers and their versions bein used by actual shoppers, not just people online?? Ooops guess you'd have to actually break it down into what those people were shopping for too cos there may be a difference.

You should be able to see that in your stats via Control Panel, for your own sites anyway. When you look at a lot of stats from different sites you get a very similar picture.

Windows put a lot of users online who don't know what a browser is or that you have any options with them so a lot of people use whatever came with their computer without venturing into settings. Their automatic installation of IE8 with Windows Update stuck a lot of people with IE8 who are learning how to make changes now.

I used to see nothing but IE traffic. Now that has changed a lot in recent months because people have been switched over to IE8. Now I am seeing more firefox traffic, and first the first time in years, higher than IE traffic.

However, I still think that IE will be for most folks the highest percentage of users. All new computers (other than macs) pretty much have IE as default and nobody ever bothers to change that.

Affiliate Manager
    FWIW:

General browser stats:
    http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

European anti-trust laws have prohibited IE from being bundled with Windows, further fragmenting a browser market in which Firefox continues to make gains:

http://www.techradar.com/news/softwa...nfusing-619872

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10210203-16.html
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

ok, guess I have a knack for not quite explaining what I'm intending to say very well.

Maybe I'm just splitting hairs here but I was trying to find out hmmm let's see if I can figure out how to say it right. lol

Just for statistics purposes let's say ie is still the most widely used browser......that doesn't necessarily say tho that those who are using ie are those same people who are shopping online. They may just be surfing, reading email, playing free games, reading news, etc. Don't know stats but say maybe 40% of people who go online go online to shop and 60% don't ever shop online.

Of that 40% of people who are actually shopping online, which browsers would they be using? Guess what I'm tryin to figure out is just cos majority of users may be using ie.......maybe the majority of those 40% who are actually doin the shopping online may be using mozilla instead of ie. (even tho people who get online may use ie more.......doesn't mean they are actually those people who shop online)

Not sure I'm making myself any clearer or not. I know what I'm tryin to say that doesn't mean you will tho. lol See if I've done any better this time....if not....will try again I guess.

Don't wanna know % of people online's browser preference.....only those who are actually shopping one.

Meemaw -
    "Now I am seeing more firefox traffic, and first the first time in years, higher than IE traffic."
    That is interessting.

Here are my stats for today:

35.40% IE 7.0
    26.00% IE 8.0
    17.00% Firefox 3.0
    9.40% IE 6.0
    3.60% Chrome 2.0
    3.00% Firefox 3.5
    1.20% Firefox 2.0
    1.00% Safari 3.2
    1.00% Safari 4.0
    0.60% Default Browser 0
    0.60% Google Webmaster Tools 0
    0.40% Firefox 1.0
    0.20% BlackBerry 0
    0.20% Rippers 0
    0.20% Flock 1.0
    0.20% Safari 1.3

Since we are taking numbers, Resolution is importain as well so here are my numbers for that:

35.98% 1280x1024
    30.49% 1024x768
    26.42% Unknown
    3.25% 1152x864
    2.24% 800x600
    1.63% 1600x1200

Don't wanna know % of people online's browser preference.....only those who are actually shopping one.
    I follow you, but have never seen a study on which browsers the people completing sales are using. There is most likely a study like that though as nearly everything seems to earn a study nowadays. For me it was easier to look good in all the browsers than worry about who uses what.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    if you set up click tracking, you can see what browsers the people clicking on your links are using, but it is very hard to tell which clicks became sales. I'm seeing about 60% of my clicks from people using IE and about 25% from Firefox.

Affiliate Manager
    You may not even need to set up click tracking. Most hosting services provide logs which include the user agent, the browser's identification of brand and version. Checking your logs will tell you not only which browsers users are shopping, but which of those are shopping your specific site.

I realize that's only a part of what you're looking for, but I'm not aware of published stats for shoppers. It may be difficult to get given the many shopping sites and the different demographics they appeal to.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I thought those server logs were just visitors in general not visitors clicking on affiliate links (shopping).

http and a telephoto
    purplebear, I know other people that are having issues with sites not looking quite right in IE8, what I recommend is that at the bottom of the page you put a link that says "Site looks better with FireFox" with a link to the firefox download. Links like that used to be much more prevalent than they are now.

Another thing to remember, and I need to check my sites with this myself, is that Chrome is going to come bundled with netbooks soon. So even though it isn't a "player" yet, it should gain some speed in the coming months.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thank you everybody for your answers
    Yeap I do have access to the different browsers and their versions info but I was trying to see if there were any studies or surveys that actually broke things down to shoppers versus just people being online.

I have my own theory but don't have any evidence to base it on. I don't think most shoppers use ie just cos people I know don't like it lol but that doesn't mean they're the average shopper.

lostdeviant
    I've never done the clicktracking but that sounds like a good idea. I keep tellin my husband that if people update to the ie8 they'll soon discover they don't like it and revert back to an older edition so there won't be any reason to worry anyway. lol

loxly
    Yeap, since my husband downloaded ie8 on his computer then shock set in when he saw what it looked like lol (really only took the side navigation lil thingies he made for each and made em bigger so made page longer) Can be fixed but I don't really wanna spend the time to do it and he doesn't wanna. I keep tellin him it doesn't make sense to go thru all that to satisfy one browser when he's not even sure the amount of people using that one version of ie8.

Yeap, I keep tellin him bout Chrome, too. I have seen that on a few sites so putting the link for firefox download might be what I end up doin and hope it calms him down. lol

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread