Big Time EBAY NEWS ...
    SAN FRANCISCO (Dow Jones)--Ebay Inc. (EBAY) is poised to announce on Monday a series of changes to its core marketplaces business that are designed to help large vendors sell new goods in greater volumes.
    Ebay will tweak its search algorithm to favor new products, allow sellers to include more and bigger photos in their listings for free, and do away with features that sellers have used to dress up their listings, two people familiar with the e-commerce giant's plans said.
    The company will also limit communications between buyers and sellers, a step designed to ease the burden for volume-sellers, they said.
    The San Jose, Calif.-based company will also introduce a series of categories to describe an item's condition, such as "brand new," "factory refurbished," "used: like new" or "damaged." Sellers previously were required to specify only whether a product was new or used. The changes will be implemented later this year, the people familiar with the plans said.
    The changes will help underpin eBay's ongoing shift away from auction sales toward fixed-price listings, which are increasingly popular among online shoppers.
    "It's directionally very positive," said one of the people familiar with eBay's plans. "We're seeing more changes this time than ever before."
    On Wednesday, eBay Chief Executive John Donahoe said the upcoming changes - which he didn't detail - are part of the company's continuing effort to overhaul its core marketplaces unit, which generates more than half the company's $8.5 billon in annual revenue. Ebay's other key businesses include its PayPal online payment business and Internet telephony service Skype.
    An eBay spokesman declined to comment for this story.
    Ebay, which established itself as a quirky online auction site for used and antique items, has struggled to reinvent itself in the face of intensifying competition from rivals. For example, Amazon.com Inc. (AMZN) has continued to capture a greater share of the e-commerce market with a growing selection of fixed-price items and often free shipping.
    In a bid to reverse the trend, Donahoe told investors earlier this year that eBay will focus on establishing itself in the "secondary market" by serving as a platform for sellers offering fixed-price out-of-season and overstock items in bulk.
    On July 22, the company surprised Wall Street analysts by reporting better-than-expected second-quarter results, a sign its turnaround efforts were beginning to pay off. Shares of the company, which have gained more than 52% so far this year, closed down 1.3% at $21.24 on Friday.
    Ebay has said Monday's announcement will mark the second - and last - time the company will introduce changes to its marketplaces platform this year. The company made numerous revisions last year, a pace of change that sellers said was hard to keep up with.
    Other changes include the introduction of a "top-rated seller" program, under which sellers will be more stringently evaluated based on the quality of their products and service.
    Sellers will also be given the criteria that eBay uses to determine which products are the "best match" for any given product search. That will give sellers a better sense of how to boost their rankings within search results.
    ----------------------------------

The Kiss of Death for most EBAY affiliates and small sellers.

Why do you suggest that this is the kiss of death for affiliates? I don't see that at all..

I rarely bid for an item on eBay, I'm always looking for the 'Buy It Now' option. If most people are like me, then eBay is moving in a direction that is right for it's CUSTOMERS, but not necessarily right for small eBay sellers.

Since all the products or services sold on EBAY, the customers are not EBAY customers. They are customers of the sellers ... The sellers are EBAY's customers.

Fewer sellers, fewer sales ... EBAY just becomes a more complicated Amazon or Walmart. They make big money on high ticket auctions for jets, boats, cars, trucks
    and the like ... ain't no one buying them straight up in the real world.

I wonder though if this will reverse some of the margin erosion that takes place there. I wouldn't even consider selling there previously. Although I was reticent to sell at Amazon too, because of their cut.

Amazon margins were far better in our categories though.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by net4biz
    Since all the products or services sold on EBAY, the customers are not EBAY customers. They are customers of the sellers ... The sellers are EBAY's customers.
    Right, but here's the rub ... if you not only facilitate but also enhance the buying experience for those customers, they will buy more and more often, you have to understand what is really driving the commerce here ... the end consumer buying from the merchant who then buys from ebay. It's a process and anyway to proactively better that process from the bottom up is going to dynamically and proportionately increase volumes up the line.

Quote Originally Posted by net4biz
    Fewer sellers, fewer sales ...
    Bullpucky ... I don't think anyone who is looking for an item doesn't think of Ebay as a source for it, actually their clunky bs display of featured ads, the useless enlarge image and other obtuse interface has led to the rise of alternatives, so these implementations will only increase numbers across the board.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Yep ... you want to buy something first you check EBAY, then you check Amazon,
    the maybe a coupon site or comparison shopping site and of course the display is
    so-so at best ... You might think this all will generate more sales, and it might, but
    they are going end up with just another Amazon but with more stuff to deal with
    than at Amazon ... Sure you want to sell on EBAY if you are a manufacturer, but
    you also have covenants with your distributors and wholesales and the like.

It will not be easy to implement ... and Ebay is not known for getting implementation
    right the first time ... I bet they bomb ... but you may be right.

More ....

EBay Announces Top-Rated Seller Status
    Monday 07/27/2009 11:19 AM ET - Businesswire

Related Companies
    Symbol Last %Chg
    EBAY 21.69 2.12%

As of 1:00 PM ET 7/27/09
    In time for the upcoming holiday shopping season, eBay (Nasdaq:EBAY) sellers who deliver the highest level of customer service, as rated by buyers, will be promoted for the first time ever with a special eBay Top-Rated Seller badge, receive deep discounts of 20 percent on their final value fees and be elevated in search, the company announced today. eBay Top-Rated Sellers earn their status based on how their own buyers rank the quality of a sale through eBay's detailed seller ratings feedback system.

"For buyers, the new eBay Top-Rated Seller status makes it easy to find the highest quality sellers on eBay based on the feedback of other buyers," said Lorrie Norrington, president of eBay Marketplaces. "For sellers, the Top-Rated Seller status recognizes and rewards their commitment to consistently delivering the highest level of customer satisfaction."

eBay said it expects to immediately qualify 150,000 eBay Top-Rated Sellers in the U.S. when the program goes live in October 2009, and will launch at the same time in the United Kingdom and Germany. These highest-rated sellers will display an eBay Top-Rated Seller badge on the "view item page" that displays their listing. Going forward, any seller with as few as 100 transactions a year and $3,000 annual in sales volume can qualify based on buyer feedback. The eBay Top-Rated Seller status is based on further refinements to eBay's feedback system, which allows buyers to score sellers on a number of factors that determine the overall quality of the transaction.

With today's announcement, eBay is also making it easier and more efficient for sellers to run their business on eBay by rolling out further enhancements: a Search Visibility tool to provide more transparency on placement in search results, a streamlined resolution process for unpaid item claims, new bulk editing tools, and an update to its highly regarded Seller Dashboard.

Yay monopoly hoorah

There is a bastion of scumlords and opportunists on ebay, this isn't a monopoly but added transparency instead.

Also yes Ebay is slow and yes they muck stuff up but get this ... they are a realiable source, but I don't see anyone taking their throne away (YET). BTW, Yes it can be done, it's pretty simple and relatively cheap.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    There is a bastion of scumlords and opportunists on ebay, this isn't a monopoly but added transparency instead.

Also yes Ebay is slow and yes they muck stuff up but get this ... they are a realiable source, but I don't see anyone taking their throne away (YET). BTW, Yes it can be done, it's pretty simple and relatively cheap.
    Erego the rise in competition, and the necessity of "re-inventing".

Bold added by me.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Sounds like just another integration from the Half.com days. We had those same categories to help describe the items if people remember.

The SERIOUS problem for all the 'middle men' in this economy is they are getting what used to be called during the savings and loan crisis DISINTERMEDIATED.

They have to pay people, but revenue growth is slowing to going south due to margin erosion ... It's called the Walmart effect. Commoditization lowers both profits and prices in the end but they can make it up on volume.

I haven't seen too many products of late in the non-business space where you can simply add value to them and get away with it. If some one is always discounting, it is even hard to sell luxury and hold the price. Payroll has a way of forcing you to do all sorts of things you would rather not do but must if you want to stay in business.

I applaud them for trying to "reinvent"themselves yet shake my head in wonder at the actions that are destroying the very differences about them that made their brand so strong that it became a verb. IE. "I'll Ebay it" being as common as "I'll Hoover the living room this afternoon"(if you live in the UK) or "Why don't you Xerox it?" They survived nickel and diming their customers (sellers) but this? I don't know.
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

ABW Ambassador
    Is it not still the biggest auction site on the internet, I think so. I always thought they should focus on that but they're doing some other things but the auctions are still there.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread