Manager - Affiliate Marketing Patrick Vesperman's Avatar
    anyone familiar with Skimlinks
    Skimlinks...who are they? Seem like a linking service, but also like a network.

Has anyone had any experience with them?
    Here is their short bio:
    "Are you a web publisher? Skimlinks is an innovative technology that lets you earn money from affiliate marketing in a simple and transparent way. We aggregate together 16 affiliate networks giving you access to over 8000 merchant programs. The service works by automatically converting existing outbound links on your page into affiliate links, on-the-fly, when they are clicked."

ABW Ambassador
    The concept is similar to GoldenCan's 4th click, with a difference. You put regular merchant links on your site and then have their JS plugin on your pages. The JS plugin converts the regular merchant site link to an affiliate link if Simlink is affiliated with that vendor. And if there is a sale thru your link, then they keep a %age of the commission and you get some.

So if they have applied to my program, I should approve them?

http and a telephoto
    Sounds like Mike Nunez's Bounce, but they take a 4th click I think, not a percentage of each sale.

Affiliates are better off grabbing their own links for a merchant. This also might not work if a merchant doesn't track with custom links.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

So doesn't anyone have them as an affiliate? Are they just applying so they can provide links?

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by pjvesperman
    So doesn't anyone have them as an affiliate? Are they just applying so they can provide links?
    I don't have them but they probably are signing up to get links, what network? If SAS they will then ask for ftp access.
    Deborah Carney

Yes, it is SAS - haven't heard from them yet.

hey Patrick!
    Curious whatever happened with you and Skimlinks?
    They are in one of my programs, but I am not sure I want to keep them there.
    Dyan Carlson
    ["My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."- The Dalai Lama

Dyan, not much to report. They are approved, but have done nothing. Sorry I can't give you more info than that....but I don't know any more!

We have them in our program through CJ. A few sales here and there, but not a whole lot of action yet.

Looks like they are in GAN as well for a sister site. They do a little more through our GAN.

I met the Joe Stepniewski, co-founder of Skimlinks at ASW2010. It might be that they concentrate on UK programs, as this is where they are from. Should I point Joe over to ABW?
    Brad Waller | VP, Business and Affiliate Development
    EPage.com

I just saw the blog post from Shawn on AffiliateTip about these guys and came over here to see if anyone had experience with them. While I'd prefer to do something like this on my own, I don't currently have the resources in time or money to buy/build a solution to do it.

If memory serves me correctly, when I tried Bounce by Mike Nunez, it wanted to replace all of my links with new Bounce links. From what I'm reading in the Skimlinks FAQ, if I have existing affiliate links they are not replaced. (Feel free to correct me if my memory about Bounce is incorrect)

I'd love to hear feedback from any of the publishers out there who are using this service and what their experience has been. And while my main thought is how publishers view the service (since that is what I am), I'm kinda curious to hear of any experiences from the merchant side as well.

Thanks in advance for any input on these folks!

Hi All,

I'm the Social Media Manager for Skimlinks. I'd like to address the recent questions below about Skimlinks, and you can always get in touch with us if you have any further questions or concerns.

-We work with UK and US publishers and merchants. We are based in the UK, but we are rapidly expanding into the US and a large part of our clientele are American publishers and merchants
    -You are correct that we do not overwrite existing affiliate links in content. Our technology scans all links in the content and if any of them are un-affiliated but able to be affiliated, we do the affiliate process for publishers so they don't have to sign up for multiple networks.
    -@pjvesperman - please let me know if you would like to speak with an account executive about your account stats

Feel free to contact us if you want to learn more or try us out. We are always happy to help. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Jenny

http and a telephoto
    Thanks for your post. Can you clarify if affiliate need to sign up with individual merchants or not? If they do not and you supply them links and pay them commission, that makes your company a subaffiliate network and not an affiliate 3rd party tool. The distinction is *very* important.
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    From their site:

# Open relationship with merchants
    We inform our affiliate networks of all the publishers we are working with, and are transparent in working with merchants to generate more sales and supporting publishers that link to you.

# Publisher approval process
    Publishers need to apply to get Skimlinks on their site. We only approve publishers with quality sites with original content, good traffic levels and potential for high conversion rates.

# Opt-out at any time
    If for any reason you do not wish to be part of Skimlinks, or do not want to be featured on a specific publisher's site, please let us know and we can exclude you on a case-by-case basis, or across all of Skimlinks.

Jenny,

Thanks for reaching out. We have noticed a recent partnership with Wordpress. Can you explain how that works, and when you will notify us of new Wordpress publishers?

Thanks,
    Tyler

Hey guys, and hello again Brad & Deborah...Was great to meet you both at ASW10!

sam_park explained exactly what the base Skimlinks service does (well explained thanks!), its aimed at both affiliates who want a time and effort saving option, as well as content creators who aren't so familiar with affiliate marketing to be able add/update links themselves.

One perk for affiliates is that since you add regular merchant links to your content, you can get a higher CTR on links as they look more natural to end-users. We also give you a single reporting/payment monthly aggregated across 22 affiliate networks.

We take the quality of our network of publishers very seriously (less than half of applications are approved), and we ensure the publisher has original content, decent traffic, adds value and ultimately aims to generate incremental sales for merchants.

Re: merchant sign-up: Publishers who sign up to Skimlinks don't need to sign up with individual merchants, this is one of the foundations of our model: simplicity and friction-less. A Skimlinks publisher can choose to link to a merchant and it will potentially generate affiliate commissions for them. Merchants have full visibility into the publishers we are working with and can opt-out at any time (there is an interface available to do this, your account manager at your network should be able to set you up, or PM me and I can organise it for you). When we apply for merchant programs as an affiliate, I hope our model is clear enough for the merchant to decide whether to work with us.

We don't like to describe ourselves as a sub-affiliate network, however, as we are doing much more than just adding a layer between the merchant and the publisher (often sub-affiliates have low quality networks too). Our aim is to make it easier for publishers to add/monetize links to merchants, so they are encouraged to add more relevant product links.

An example of that goal: one recently launched product we think merchants will be really interested in is our Skimkit, which is essentially a research/discovery tool that bloggers and editors can search to find particular products to write about. If you are interested in including your datafeed to Skimkit, so that your products appear on the desktop of many journalists, editors and bloggers please let me know.

re: low activity, our publisher network is still growing so for some of the more niche merchants we may not have publishers linking to you yet. As our network grows, and publishers use the SkimKit to discover products, I'm sure this will change.

Hope this helps, I'm available on 415 894 5630 if anyone has any feedback, or questions.

Joe

btw - Deborah perhaps at ASE10 we can have another tea discussion, keen to try out some more varieties

http and a telephoto
    Thanks for coming and clarifying Joe. We need to talk some more, I am a *little* more comfortable with what you are doing as compared to some similar "services" but I need to see that merchant backend and the visibility to the publishers you are talking about. We didn't have enough time at ASW10

If you get a chance contact me on Skype at affiliateabcs please?
    Deborah Carney

I have skimlinks running on one of my social community sites. It takes a normal link that like www.example.com and turns it into an affiliate link if skimlinks has an affiliation with that merchant. It works pretty good for communities like fora like mine that talk a lot about stuff they are buying/wearing/planning on buying without making your site look like an affiliate landmine.

The conversion is not that great, though.

I saw Alicia Navarro (?), one of the founders of SkimLinks speak at the A4U Expo last year, she seems on the up and up.

They don't take 4th click or anything, but give you normal commission rates. Due to them having a lot bigger turnover they claim to get better commision rates from the merchants and they keep some of that, but you still end up with just as good or better comm. than you would on your own. You don't have to apply for each program, either, which is great for the affiliate.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread