Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Joomla = defective crud
    I've now had the same horrific experience twice in two days.

I sit down and log in to Joomla to write a blog entry. I spend 45 minutes to an hour writing and editing the entry.

Then I click on "save."

And Joomla responds by flushing all my work and prompting me for my user name and password again. All my work is lost. If I submit the username and password, Joomla drops me into the main menu; if I click on the "back" button instead, I am shown a blank blog-entry page.

It's taking me far too long to realize that I should never compose a blog entry using Joomla's editor. (In fact, I should try to figure out a way to prevent the Joomla article page from ever accepting manually-keyed text).

Instead, I must always use a separate text-editing or word-processing program to compose blog posts. Of course, this usually means spending extra time when I "paste" the article into Joomla, because the formatting is never right, and often it takes 10-20 minutes just to fix the formatting -- but at least if Joomla flushes the article, I have the text somewhere else to recover.

Joomla is like most open-source software: marginally effective but riddled with serious flaws.

At least in 1.5 you can do this (don't know if it is the same in 1.0)...

1. Go into your Joomla Administrative back-end
    2. Click on the GLOBAL CONFIGURATION icon in the lower left of the page or you can use the menu SITE > GLOBAL CONFIGURATION.
    3. Click on the SYSTEM tab
    4. On the lower right side of the page, look for SESSION SETTINGS
    5. Change the MINUTES to however long you want to stay logged in

Thanks for the suggestion -- the default setting is 15 minutes. Why would anyone choose such a short timeout setting for this?

I've changed it to 9999 but I'm still not going to trust this again -- I've lost more than two hours of time, and basically two long posts are gone forever because I cannot bring myself to try to re-write them from scratch.

No time for forums (fori? forae?) RiverStyx's Avatar
    Joomla vs. Drupal
    Sorry for your issues. I abandoned Joomla a long time ago, can't speak to recent stuff but I found that other CMS's had fewer issues.

Don't be shy: what other CMS solutions did you consider, and what are you using?

I'd consider Drupal, but I've seen a LOT of warnings about how difficult it is to configure and use (the same people thought Joomla was easy, so Drupal must be really, really horrific to set up).

I'd also pay a reasonable amount for a commercial program, if there was some reason to expect better results, but so far the low-cost and midrange commercial CMS software all seems much worse than Joomla or Drupal. (The high-end CMS solutions are all masked in secrecy, and I actually get the distinct impression that the $10,000 to $250,000 solutions are probably built on top of some open-source solution.)

http and a telephoto
    Look and see if it has a auto-save for drafts like Wordpress does. I've never lost a post I've started in Wordpress thankfully due to their auto-saving my work as I go along.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I'm new to all this but I've learned a ton about blogging recently, and as loxly mention, I use Blogger, and they auto save posts also.

Thanks for suggesting this. There isn't an "autosave" option for Joomla now, but a quick search did turn up several companies promising auto-save add-ins for Joomla 1.5, "soon."

I suppose I should feel better after discovering many other people complaining about the same problem -- but I don't.
    Last edited by markwelch; July 28th, 2009 at 11:13 PM.

I love Joomla. The session length setting is critical, but again, it doesn't completely solve the issue since there is no auto-save. Power can go out, back buttons could be hit, cancel could accidentally be hit, etc.

I compose all my Joomla entries in a text file, then drop them in. I don't use Word, because they haven't invented a WYSIWG that effectively strips MS's crap mark up from it.

If I'm doing a content based site, it's Wordpress, without question. If I'm doing a database driven site, it's Joomla hands down.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

If I'm doing a database driven site, it's Joomla hands down.
    What's the advantage here as opposed to just using a template of your own? I can understand WordPress for blogs.

I had a site that we did for a Realtor and after a few years he wanted a new look. I wasn't interested so he found a nice young guy who redid his site in Joomla. It looks ok but nothing special.

The only content they ever change is when agents come and go. All the listings are fed by a 3rd party service.

If I could see a reason it would be fun to do a Joomla site. For myself that is.

I can't understand why Joomla would be a choice for blogging instead of WordPress. Indeed, you can make some pretty decent sites with WordPress as a CMS without much modification.

But certainly WordPress would be my choice over Joomla for blogging.

Plus, I've never been smart enough to figure out how to install and use Joomla, though I've tried on a couple of sites in recent years. LOL! (And as hard as I found the learning curve for Joomla, Drupal was even worse for me.)
    Generate more fake news.

John:

I purchased a license years ago for a datafeed component that makes my life very simple. I should have noted that. If not for that component, my love of Joomla would not be the same
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I tried Joomla and Drupal over a year ago, and had similar experience. Although I didn't have trouble installing either, they were more complicated than the super-simple WordPress install.
    Joomla made each task complicated and Drupal's blogging feature was just horrible and their config. worse (supposedly it has been improved).

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    I can't understand why Joomla would be a choice for blogging instead of WordPress. Indeed, you can make some pretty decent sites with WordPress as a CMS without much modification.

But certainly WordPress would be my choice over Joomla for blogging.

Plus, I've never been smart enough to figure out how to install and use Joomla, though I've tried on a couple of sites in recent years. LOL! (And as hard as I found the learning curve for Joomla, Drupal was even worse for me.)

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    Daisy, you saucy wench! I'm gonna diddle you good at Affiliate Summit East. Thanks for your help

Oh my Mark, I've got goosebumps <blush>

I'll bring my special bag o' toys.

We used Drupal on a niche site for a while. Initially, it was OK, but it eventually bogged down and practically died under its own weight.

One of our sister sites used Joomla for a niche site and said, in essence, it wasn't worth the trouble.

We built our CMS on the Typo3 platform. I'm no developer, but my understanding is that is a very complex piece of software. Our genius lead developer has rendered a fantastic system out of it, but it took a ton of work. The backend user interface is super-geeky and not user-friendly; that's on the "to do" next list.

We used WordPress for a while and still use WordPressMU for a few niche blogs. Not bad, but the dBase performance has been painful. Again, not being the tech geek, I don't know why, but it's been painful at times.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Take a look at webnode. It is not open source, but it is free for bandwidth under 1GB per month. A friend of mine put her small ecommerce site on it and she has absolutely no html experience. Once you hit 50GB per month, you get socked with $25/mo however, so it you anticipate high band width it is not a very good option. See http://www.webnode.com/premium-services/
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

WordPress is an excellent CMS with a HUGE community of developers creating tons of plugins, themes, etc...

If you are going to be blogging, there are several desktop programs you can use to write your blog post locally and then push to your server once you are ready. While I'm not usually a guy who will suggest Microsoft products, Windows Live Writer is actually pretty decent. If you are on the Mac side, I like Blogo and Ecto.
    Eric Tyler
    Eric [at] FinancialNetworkPro [dot] com
    [URL=http://financialnetworkpro.com]http://financialnetworkpro.com[/URL]

I've been using Joomla for a couple of years on a handful of sites and I love it. I'll admit that one feature that I've wanted for a while is auto save for the convenience, however its never really caused me a problem because the first thing I learned when I first started using computers (a CP/M based Z80b for a little nostalgia) was "SAVE EARLY AND OFTEN".

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

No time for forums (fori? forae?) RiverStyx's Avatar
    Drupal and WordPress
    I recently built a site on Drupal and it reminded me why I stopped using Drupal. The constant hack attempts require that you upgrade every time they release a patch, and they release patches constantly. Too much maintenance. But for a membership site it was the right solution for me because of the granularity of user permissions.

WordPress is a dream. I am in awe of the developers and can't believe that such a great thing is free. And the more I build with it, the more I appreciate it. I use it for non-blog sites, too. Can't say enough good things about it.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverStyx
    WordPress is a dream. I am in awe of the developers and can't believe that such a great thing is free.
    OMG! Shhhhh ... we don't want to give the developers any nasty ideas, now do we?
    Generate more fake news.

Wordpress is not just for blogging.

I have converted a wordpress template to a CMS, disabled comments and customized all pages.

Google loves blogs and even though mine isn't one, it has a lot of the internal structure of a blog so it gets picked up quicker than static sites.

I have looked at Joomla and like John, I am intrigued and seems like fun to set up one (or just to learn about them). I too, am conditioned to save every 1/100th of a second so the lack of an autosave feature won't be a problem for me.

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    I tried to get a couple sites up in Joomla 1.0 then 1.5 for almost 18 months and it was one nightmare after another. If your server wasn't just perfect, permissions were way too qwirky, and always an issue with plugins and paid templates and the compatibility between them all.

My friend begged me to try wordpress, and in 15 minutes I had a site up and functioning better than what I had worked on for almost 18 months. She had me do a couple upgrades, throw in some plugins and it was like i'd found the ferrari of site building. LOVE IT!

There is only 1 plugin that i've ever had a compatibility issue with and i've got about 20 different plugins I use regularly between my sites and they're so simple to use (and FREE!)

Good luck!

Several folks have kindly encouraged me to add a "comments" feature to my Joomla blog.

Unfortunately, Joomla doesn't have a comment feature built-in.

I just spent an hour trying to install and configure one of many third-party Joomla-comment solutions; I followed the instructions to the letter, but of course the capability didn't appear on my site. I assume that there are some additional steps which the module author believed "everybody would know they need to do."

I'd like to add the ability to post comments to my blog; however, it's like all the other "five-minute tasks that end up taking days or weeks" that come from using open-source software. For now, I'm putting the idea of adding a "comment feature" on the shelf, until I can identify a solution that doesn't require hiring a consultant to set up and install.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    use Wordpress :-)

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    Several folks have kindly encouraged me to add a "comments" feature to my Joomla blog.
    I was starting a site last year and tried joomla, aside from all of the issues of configuration, I learned that the blog part of it did not have a ping option. Which is an important part of a blog to me. This may have change in the past year, but I dumped it and used wordpress. With the right template and some creative uses of plugins you can have a site that doesn't have that 'blog' look and feel.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast