Ontario, Canada
    Whenever I learn a new programming language I want to learn everything there is.
    When I first started this venture in affiliate marketing I had no intention of learning programing. At that time you could put html source code in front of me and I wouldn't be able to make sense of it. Until one day I was in a chat room. I was talking to this guy about affiliate marketing and asking for advice, the advice that I got would change my whole perception on how I viewed learning and taking control of my life. This is how it went
    [oranges] 10:06 am: u don't have the technical expertese for a price comparison site, try something else
    [cavo360] 10:07 am: I don't know html and I can't afford to hire someone else [oranges] 10:08 am: then learn html!!!
    [oranges] 10:08 am: that is ur first step
    So that's what I did, went to the library checked out HTML/CSS by O'Reilly, and read more than I ever had before. I never thought I had the mental capacity to lean anything like html it was all greek to me. I never had the confidence in myself to be able to say, if I want to know how to do something just learn it. After I learned html/css I looked for the next thing, as I was looking at some source code I noticed these other forms of a language in between <script> </script>, and things like function, if else, for , while, document.getElementById("someId") etc.
    I starting learning JavaScript, doing stuff I never thought was possible for me to do. Now I just want to learn more, my next stop is PHP and MySql.

As I was out for a walk one day unraveling my thoughts and concerns about what to do next, I asked myself this question. What is learning ? Is it going to school, Being at work, or self teaching yourself something your passionate about.

For as long as I can remember I'd always put barriers around myself with negative thoughts and self fulfilling prophecies of not being able to accomplish anything.

So what is learning "To acquire, or attempt to acquire knowledge or an ability to do something."
    That is what I started to do,"Learn" , anything and everything can be found in a book, I found my new love and passion, reading. After all these years of struggling to go to school and dropping out of high school. I found I have a desire to solve problems and do everything from scratch and getting the most satisfaction when I solve a problem.I found reading to be my guiding light and the power to make my own future.

Just don't fall into the trap of learning without doing. I know people who say they want to learn a new programming language and read a book or two and leave it at that. They never start a project and never finish anything. I keep telling them to have a project and see it through to the end. Without a tangible product it's all for naught.

You've on the right track, but just don't get stuck just learning.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Ontario, Canada
    You're absolutely right, I realized that when I was reading intensely on JavaScript and tried to do something and couldn't figure out how, because all I did was read. You have to get your hands dirty if you want to learn this stuff. Now I can look at a task and figure out how it would look in a script.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    North Carolina
    Learning is best done by doing.

yup reading and learning is fantastic, when you get bored of reading check out youtube they've got some good programming tutorials!

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread