Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    What's your programming language of choice?
    I have been writing quite a few posts lately and can't seem to stop.lol
    I want to know what are the best programming languages to learn and why? If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

One man's opinion, but:

For the self made webby: PHP. Easy to hack up so much open source stuff.

For enterprise applications and looking for a j*b: .NET (et al). I'll be damned if I can find too many bigger businesses that don't want to run ASpages and dot net on Windows servers.

It's interesting to me though that big business has such an aversion to PHP. Maybe someone with a little more in depth knowledge can say why. I suspect it's for security reasons, but I find that to be an erroneous supposition on their part....
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

PHP for me. I think that the business that use .net and Microsoft stuff sometimes believe that free can't be as good as what you have to pay for. Sometimes the tech people they have are MS trained and want to go with what works for them. I'm guessing as you can tell.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    For pretty much any website these days, PHP/mysql is all you need.

ASP & ASP.Net for me!!

I use Ruby on Rails http://rubyonrails.org/ because its fairly easy or understandable to build data driven sites. If I was starting out I'd look at CodeIgniter http://codeigniter.com/ first since that is native PHP and probably easier to get up running on any Apache site.

So, I like a combination of c#/.NET combined with a lot of free stuff that has typically been ported from Java. I don't like nor do I use ASP.NET.

Right now I use c# and .NET 2.0 in conjunction with NVelocity (from the Monorail project), MySQL, Lucene.NET, Log4Net, and a couple of other ported libraries.

I find that c# and .NET are beautiful to program in, and the Intellisense of the Visual Studio editor makes me very productive.

ASP.NET makes it really hard to work with a graphic designer because it is a layer of abstraction on top of HTML that seeks to provide application state on something that is inherently stateless. I'm using NVelocity because it is just easier to tweak the HTML and experiment with layouts.

BTW, 90% of my code has nothing to do with UI, I have a price comparison engine and most of my code is centered around processing datafeeds. I need a very strong, yet easy to program language that produces very fast runtime libraries.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    I am learning for my own sites so I dont like the .net ASP Windows Server ways of thinking.

It really seems to me the world that has a choice is going (has gone) LAMP environment.

Linux
    Apache
    Mysql
    Perl / PHP / Python

More at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAMP_(software_bundle)

A lot of newer sites are Ruby on Rails. Although something big Twitter? jsut went away from Ruby to something else. Maybe someone else knows what.

LAMP for me would be Ubuntu, Apache2, MySQL, PHP

You know I have done a few large scale applications with Symfony as a framework and it is pretty cool. It's a little cryptic if you glance over the documentation, but if you do the sample application/tutorial all get's revealed with a big AHAH

VB (VB6) without the UI for fast back room processing and PHP to generate the dynamic web pages. (now to start a firestorm...) a roll-your-own database to handle the requirements for processing speed to handle very large databases - 2+gig and 1+million records - not as versatile as SQL but a heck of a lot faster.

Quote Originally Posted by micheck
    a roll-your-own database to handle the requirements for processing speed to handle very large databases - 2+gig and 1+million records - not as versatile as SQL but a heck of a lot faster.
    I agree, SQL is too slow for serious data manipulation on extremely large datasets. My biggest problem with MySQL was that it was buggy on my 20 million row, segmented database. I would frequently get crashes during table updates.

Now that I've got 100's of millions of rows, I use a combination of flat files that are read into an in-memory hash and Lucene which I use for fast searches, but also as a tarball to keep my file count down.

My current use of MySQL is mostly legacy. I store user comments that are awaiting moderation, for instance.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Use php with wordpress plugins and 90% of the work is already done.

Atari LOGO. Hey, you asked my programming language of choice, not what I currently use.

PHP for server side code.
    C# for Client side code.

Each is horrible the purpose of the other.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

I've been doing PHP and MySQL now for two week and I must say having previous javascript experience has help a lot with the PHP ,but I guess could be said for other programming languages.

PHP and MySQL is my choice.

PHP is my choice
    I have been working with asp for quite some long time for work, anyway PHP is by far the language I prefer.

In my opinion it has the best learning curve you'll ever find and has a lot of built in potential, an endless amount of ready to use functions.

The possibility of using it in both object oriented and procedural mode is a big plus, and you find plent of programming forums, blogs, code snippets and examples.

that said, I'm a big wordpress fan

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreBeer
    PHP is my choice

that said, I'm a big wordpress fan
    Wordpress uses PHP :-)

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    Wordpress uses PHP :-)
    I know

I meant that I'm a fan of it against doing everything from scratch because it saves you 99% of the development time

java [servlets]...
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; January 18th, 2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: No manual signature.

Gotta go with PHP & mySQL.
    Thanks,
    Doug

FWIW - .NET & SQLServer

Java stack for back-end:
    Struts 2 + Hibernate + Lucene + Spring

Front end:
    Cocoa because it's prettie-UI!

PHP/MySQL

Winning Combo.

PHP for server side of application, GWT (Java compiled into javascript) for client side

In general PHP is ugly language, but we are forced to use it because of wide support on all types of hostings
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Arial]Viktor Zeman[/FONT][/SIZE]
    [B][URL=http://www.qualityunit.com/]Quality Unit [/URL][/B] Founder and [B][URL=http://www.qualityunit.com/postaffiliatepro/]Post Affiliate Pro[/URL][/B] developer

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast