I've read a few threads around here discussing these issues, but there are still a few things that are not clear to me.

I'm considering added a script to my sites that instead of the links that would ordinarily go to, for example LinkShare/linksynergy, the affiliate links will be like this:

www .mydomain.com/redirect.php?product=widget

redirect.php will then send the user to the right place (eg. LinkShare/linksynergy) with the header("Location:....") thing (no meta refreshes).

Will this:
    1) work at all against any parasites?

2) keep Norton from blocking links?

3) cause any problems when linking to merchants with ShareASale, LinkShare, CJ, Allposters, etc.?

1)I have no idea about, but I suspect that it may help with 2). I'm not just concerned about Norton specifically either, but any other company that may come along and try to do something similar.

I should also add that with 2) I mean just text links, not ads/images that may be blocked.

And where does this afsrc=1 thing fit in?

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but my understanding is that we are supposed to add this to the end of all our links so that parasites will not steal from us? (Except with LS links, because they did not agree to use this).

I'm bit confused by this because parasites are, by definition, dishonest. Why should we trust that they won't steal from us?

Also, if we put afsrc=1 at the end of all our links aren't we just making it easier to tell that a link is an affiliate link so that Norton (and others like them) would have an even easier time identifying our links and blocking them?

If I use it with the redirect script I suppose it wouldn't be so obvious though.

Any thoughts?

"And where does this afsrc=1 thing fit in?"

Not sure if am going to state this correctly but I'll try so someone can correct me and help me get it right too.

To be in 'complaince' with the network COC's, the 'parasite' software is supposed to recognize clicks coming from other affiliate sites and let the click pass through unchanged.

Doesn't prevent them from popping a window and enticing the customer to click the window (ie. click here to save another x% on this purchase). In theory, if you use a redirect to send the click, the afsrc=1 is there so the software can decide it is supposed to let the redirected click pass through. Otherwise, the software assumes the click is not from another affiliate and does its thing.

Web_Novice
    "Should I encounter a moment of clarity, I hope to have it recorded in these journals."

web_novice - that sounds right to me. Anyone else?

I thought there would be more responses to this. Are people just getting tired of talking about Norton, parasites, etc.? Or did I say something wrong?

I'm not well up in this Bubbles but from what I have gathered your script will not make much if any difference.
    I think the parasites do not pick up on the links on your page I think they pick up on the url your customers land on, so no matter how you cloak it as soon as they reach the merchants site the parasites will popup or divert or swap your affid.

I might be wrong on this but this is what I think happens.

Gordon YouTrek.com
    <font color=red size="1">All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....</font><font color=blue size="1">STAMP EM OUT!!!</font>

web_novice is correct:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Doesn't prevent them from popping a window and enticing the customer to click the window (ie. click here to save another x% on this purchase). In theory, if you use a redirect to send the click, the afsrc=1 is there so the software can decide it is supposed to let the redirected click pass through. Otherwise, the software assumes the click is not from another affiliate and does its thing. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    This does NOT mean that the parasite will not popup over your page using the &afsrc=1 within the URL redirect .. it just means it decides (if agreed) if it will popup over the page.

If you are using a redirect then you should always include the &afsrc=1 append to each marketing promotion URL to atleast get some 'non-popup' parasite windows that actually do not popup if that append is present.

I myself do not have a lot of confidence in this append tag .. but it is said that some parasites actually do honor it. (Yeah .. ermmmm)

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

I kind of thought it may not help with parasites, but hopefully it might help with Norton. Or more importantly, hopefully it won't hurt anything. There are other reasons to make a redirect script also but I would feel better knowing that it wouldn't hurt tracking of sales, etc.

OK,what I think i've read about Norton, is that Norton looks for the url of the ad being served. So if they see a picture being loaded from qksrv... or the other networks(?), they block the picture.

You could avoid this problem by saving the ad to your own server and serving it from there, instead of having it servered from the network.

For the parasite to NOT pop a window on your traffic, either the merchant must not have the parasite in their program OR some merchants claim to be making special arraingments with parasite to not pop on thier site (e.g. eBates mo-money program is turned off for the merchant but they still have eBates as a 'regular' affiliate)

Web_Novice
    "Should I encounter a moment of clarity, I hope to have it recorded in these journals."

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread