Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I Need a Content Management System solution
    Wow, it's turning out to be a very unproductive summer.

I've spent about 100 hours during the past month trying to identify and use a content management system that would allow me to manage and administer my web sites and create a blog.

After much research and exploration, I concluded that Joomla would be the best option, even though it is complex and poorly documented. I've spent most of the past 10 days configuring and setting up two blog sites using Joomla.

Unfortunately, like most open-source software, Joomla has many "issues" that must be learned and understood thoroughly -- before starting any work on a web site. Each time I set up a new site (and I've now done it 8 times), I had to step through dozens and dozens of repetitive steps; each time, I ended up wasting huge amounts of time debugging the kind of mind-numbing problems that come from nearly all open-source software.

As I noted in another discussion thread, Joomla has no "auto-save" feature and its default settings allow only 15 minutes before auto-logout -- so I twice spent nearly an hour writing blog posts, only to have my work flushed forever (when I hit "save," it wiped out all my work and loads a login screen).

A couple different people suggested that I add a "comments" feature to my blog, and this morning I decided that it was time to do so. But unfortunately, Joomla doesn't come with this capability, so I dutifully searched and found a "widely recommended" comment solution. Following the poorly-written instructions carefully, I separately downloaded and installed three separate files (a Joomla "module," a Joomla "plug-in", and a Joomla "component") plus another component from a different third-party to enable "captcha" capabilities. Then I carefully implemented the complex configuration instructions (about 50 steps).

An hour later, I've concluded that there must be some very important steps missing from the documentation, because it's just not working. My "hunch" is that I would need to make modifications to template files or something, but I really haven't got a clue -- all I know is that I've wasted an hour for nothing at all.

I'm actually quite pleased that I only wasted an hour to "rule out" one option -- but I'm not happy about the idea that I might spend another 10 or 20 hours and still not find a "comment" solution for Joomla that will work.

And I know that there are many other functions and features that I will want to add to my web sites -- each of which will likely require many more hours of "trial and error," and some of which are quite likely to completely ruin my installation and require me to repeat hundreds of steps to re-implement the installation.

Which brings me to my question: Can anyone recommend a content-management system that might be better?

I had considered and rejected WordPress because many folks told me that although it's a great "blog" tool, it would require much more work to reconfigure and extend to support the display of different kinds of web sites. I have also considered Drupal, but everyone who's used it has warned that it is much, much more complex than Joomla -- my "best guess" is that I would need to invest hundreds of hours with Drupal before I could even decide whether it might actually meet my needs.

One feature that I'd really, really like would be "Multi-Domain content management" (Joomla and most other solutions require a separate installation, database, and login for each domain).

As I write this, I'm actually getting incredibly overwhelmed -- once again, I'm realizing that I'm trying to choose from thousands of available options, without really understanding them, so I can't make any meaningful choices. I need to take a break.

Hi Mark, sorry to hear your issues.. I'm surprised your comment system required 50 steps. I just helped a friend install one found in the Extensions section on the Joomla site. It's a plugin that gets added to the article ("comment here"), but also comes with a "module" (so you can display comments in a sidebox). 2 installation steps.

Feel free to PM me, I'll send you the link - plus you can see it on his site.

I will admit straight-up Joomla doesn't have a lot of bells & whistles, but before you throw in the towel, you should check out some of the (paid) template services.

While I didn't find Joomla easy to master (and I'm still not a master!), there is a wealth of resources on their site.

But what really kick-started me was a paid template.

The no auto-save does suck, but I'm now in the habit of saving the draft (unpublished). It's happened to me a few times (timed out), but it's not a big enough flaw to make me switch. It's a very powerful CMS.

Has anyone ever heard of MKPortal?
    Disclaimer: Mark, you are much more of a techie than I am but I've seen recommendations for MKPortal.
    Could this be something of interest?

http://www.mkportal.it/index.php?ind=home

MKPortal is a free portal/CMS system which seamlessly integrates with the most popular forum softwares (Simple Machines, Invision Power Board 1.3 and 2.x, phpBB, and vBulletin). It uses the forum user management system and other features and adds many powerful modules to create and manage a light but powerful web site. MKPortal has an intuitive user interface and is very simple to install and administer.
    http://www.mkportal.it/mkportal/modu...?show=features
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Mark,

I have 3 blog style sites currently using Word press like jrami.com, shopimar.com and shopimar.net, and a few other shopimar network sites we are working on, and so far all have been easy to work with for basic content delivery. I've been adding content, updating and testing on them for a while now with headers, videos and links and so far it's the easiest CMS I can find for content, generating traffic and if you add the feed burner/Google for subscribers they can get your newsletters and updates each day. Newer version of WP has auto save, draft, spam filter, comments, etc.

Now, it also does depend and varies by which themes you use too, as some (if you buy them) have more features. I've been using 'Thesis' for a while now on the shopimar sites ( non-free developer version) and so far it's the easiest, has the most features built in and you can even have any one that is a web developer do a custom design for you. (we are working on that for ours)

Like others said, there are many other powerful non-Word press CMS out there but guess it really depends on what you are trying todo. Are you looking at working with data feeds and tying them into the CMS? We need something similar too for another project and I saw this one www.edgecast.com, but not sure of it, if anyone has heard of that one or similar ones let us know.

CMS Suggestions
    I've seen these CMS systems mentioned.
    I haven't tried any but maybe if you see a list, you'll try one or get ideas [or maybe the list could help others]:

Skeletonz
    http://orangoo.com/skeletonz/
    Skeletonz is a new content management system (CMS) based on Python. It differs from others by being simple, but yet very powerful and extensible. If you need a simple system that you and your users are going love then Skeletonz might be the solution you are looking for! The system is open source and released under GNU GPL.
    JMDCMS - Free! Open Source Web CMS
    http://www.jmdcms.com/
    JMDCMS is a Free Open Source module based Web Content Management System. Written in ASP.net and C# with SQL Server as database.

Flexible automatic 3Col, 2Col, 1Col layout. Page Level / Module Level security and publishing control. Search engine friendly URL with ability to Set Page Title, Description and Keywords by page.
    XOOPS
    http://www.xoops.org/
    XOOPS is an acronym of eXtensible Object Oriented Portal System. Though started as a portal system, XOOPS is in fact striving steadily on the track of Content Management System. It can serve as a web framework for use by small, medium and large sites.

A lite XOOPS can be used as a personal weblog or journal. For this purpose, you can do a standard install, and use its News module only. For a medium site, you can use modules like News, Forum, Download, Web Links etc to form a community to interact with your members and visitors. For a large site as an enterprise one, you can develop your own modules such as eShop, and use XOOP's uniform user management system to seamlessly integrate your modules with the whole system.
    TUGGO
    http://www.ohloh.net/p/tuggo

The web's newest, simplest, and most effecient content management system allowing website owners or administrators to easily manage their website. With a sleek control panel, making a change is just a few clicks away!

The TUGGO Website Management System (WMS) is released under the GNU GPL, by downloading this web application you agree to these terms.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    I had considered and rejected WordPress because many folks told me that although it's a great "blog" tool, it would require much more work to reconfigure and extend to support the display of different kinds of web sites. I have also considered Drupal, but everyone who's used it has warned that it is much, much more complex than Joomla -- my "best guess" is that I would need to invest hundreds of hours with Drupal before I could even decide whether it might actually meet my needs.
    I strongly suggest WordPress because it *does* extend well beyond a blogging platform. I don't agree with the folks who told you otherwise. You can build just about any type of website with it. I've written plugins to turn Wordpress into a full blown datafeed driven coupon site without even using the blog post mechanisms. It's one of the best supported CMS's available and the options are limitless with what to do with it.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    We use Word Press and Expression Engine. Both work well.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    I really think 90% of CMS systems will just add problems in their lack of support, no real unique themes, plugins, available. You might get them running but they will not have much to offer you in the long run. And they will be always heading to the end of their system and the point where there are no updates or new work getting done on them.

I do SEO PPC and some other things for myself and web design companies. I am not a programmer but can read code a bit and mod stuff.

I have introduced a few web designers to Wordpress and convinced them to try it for a while. They have never been disappointed and say that does not do what we need it to do.

It has an amazing amount of people working on FREE and even paid things.

914 free themes:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/

6040 plugins:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/

The newer versions are faster, more powerful, and safer than ever.

Like most Open Source software you should not run old software or plugins. If something is upgraded you should update in the next month or two.

There are multiblog versions, WPMU, and even Buddypress....

Wordpress designers and coders are quite cheap.

Drupal designers are almost impossible to even find. They bid huge amount of hours for everything and they are probably even right as that things take a lot of time to fix.

Any problems or something you want to know about just google it and there are many blog articles to guide you in the right way.

Writing in CMS: Most anything that is important should not be written in a CMS or forum box. Write it in a wordprocessor and post to notepad to strip formatting and then into the blog post. Plus it gives you a local backup quite easily. But the backend of new Wordpress works great.

Quote Originally Posted by andbeyond
    I really think 90% of CMS systems will just add problems in their lack of support, no real unique themes, plugins, available. You might get them running but they will not have much to offer you in the long run. And they will be always heading to the end of their system and the point where there are no updates or new work getting done on them.
    Couldn't disagree more. The few times that I've needed support I've received an overwhelming amount from the Joomla forums and the extension and template designers.

I'm not a programmer and I've been able to add commenting systems, newsletter modules, polls, dozens of visual enhancements as well as datafeeds, security and SEO enhancements. I've installed Joomla locally for testing, have automated backup systems and can move a Joomla site to a new host with a single archive. I can swap menu systems with a single keystroke, turn content including coupons on or off automatically on a specified date and change a sites template in minutes whenever I want a new look and feel. If I want to cancel a merchant I can literally turn off all content related to that merchant with a couple of keystrokes. I know most CMS systems are crap, but damn, they sure are slick crap that can do all kind of neat tricks if you take the time to learn how to use them.

I've had no problem getting any of my Joomla sites up and running and I along with millions of other Joomla users are looking forward to using Joomla for a looong time to come. It's no secret that Joomla isn't for everyone but neither is Frontpage or Dreamweaver. Every application has it's great points and it's limitations. But Open Source isn't inherently bad. As a matter of fact, some of the best applications that I've used are Open Source.

I'm not a Joomla evangelist and I'm not here to defend Joomla and frankly don't care how anyone feels about it or whether they use it or not. But there are users that are trying to make decisions on what tools to use and they should be able to make those decisions based on fact, not speculation. Opinions are great, knowledge is better.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Have a number of sites up with Joomla.. It works well and wasn't too bad to set up. Auto-timeout is a setting that can be changed btw... Using the website repository for addons/extensions is a must.

Wordpress works well too. The latest version is much easier to deal with than the old ones.

websitebaker is also a good general purpose CMS. Not so great on Blog only but with the bakery extension you can build terrific web stores. Templates are definantly an issue if you don't like the generic ones.

Just had a customer in my hosting business with ZERO tech knowledge drop a new blog out there with joomla. I've only had to answer a couple support dispatches so it can't be all bad.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I don't see why you would rule out WordPress if you wanted to have a blog. Wordpress is the king of blog software.
    No, it doesn't do everything under the sun, but nothing does blogging better.
    You won't find a CMS that will do everything once installed without making it complicated slow and buggy. You could go many different routes like integration with plugins or using separate pages with the same template (not that hard to do!) so it looks like it is all one system to visitors. You could even have two systems installed with a matching template .... be creative.

Why make it difficult on yourself by chasing the perfect system?

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    Couldn't disagree more. The few times that I've needed support I've received an overwhelming amount from the Joomla forums and the extension and template designers.
    Oops sorry I should have been more clear. To me the other 10% of CMS systems that have a future are like Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress, Square Space, and maybe a few others. Whenever I try doing something on something else it just seems like their is no support and no one doing it. Ever try doing SEO on Red Dot? The 3 guys doing it dont return emails or even respong to comments on their "blogs".
    I'm not a programmer and I've been able to add commenting systems, newsletter modules, polls, dozens of visual enhancements as well as datafeeds, security and SEO enhancements.
    Wordpress always has comments. You can turn them off on pages or posts. You can add functionality like nested comments or autosubscribe to phplist newsletter.
    Polls: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-polls/
    Datafeeds: New WP does RSS feeds or Yahoo Pipes with Feedwordpress http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/feedwordpress/
    Security: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-security-scan/
    SEO: Countless Articles and http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/...-one-seo-pack/
    I've installed Joomla locally for testing,
    XAMPP allows this with any php apache application.
    Or just install Wordpress on a subdirectory and play around with it. Fantistico one touch install...
    have automated backup systems and can move a Joomla site to a new host with a single archive.
    Wordpress does this. Basically a database is a db. Point a new blog at the same db and it acts the same. Backups http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-db-backup/
    I can swap menu systems with a single keystroke
    Ok you got me. Wordpress is a bit weak on this. Usually I make some code in Notepad and save it locally and drop it in a text widget in WP. Or omit the pages you dont want showing in the blogroll type links.
    turn content including coupons on or off automatically on a specified date
    I think there are plugins for this. I dont do it. Or this hack: http://www.wprecipes.com/how-to-set-...wordpress-blog
    and change a sites template in minutes whenever I want a new look and feel.
    5 seconds in Wordpress
    If I want to cancel a merchant I can literally turn off all content related to that merchant with a couple of keystrokes.
    Wordpress could do this a number of ways. Redirect the links with plugin. Find and replace plugin for text in copy. SEO Smart Links plugin for incopy links.
    I know most CMS systems are crap, but damn, they sure are slick crap that can do all kind of neat tricks if you take the time to learn how to use them.
    Wordpress is CMS. I aint saying all CMS is crap. But starting to use some obscure CMS and hoping that it gets better not worse is dangerous. And no I am not saying WP, Drupal, Joomla, or Square Space is some obscure CMS. I know there are a few others that are coming up and good. But look at the support and updates before obligating yourself to learn anything CMS.
    But Open Source isn't inherently bad. As a matter of fact, some of the best applications that I've used are Open Source.
    Wordpress is Open Source. I think maybe you dont know this.
    But there are users that are trying to make decisions on what tools to use and they should be able to make those decisions based on fact, not speculation. Opinions are great, knowledge is better.
    A lot of what I said is my opinion. But I have used Drupal Joomla Wordpress WPMU and some multiblog WP setups. Have you used Wordpress? I know it is a bit simple I dogged it as well before I used it. Use it and mod it, most people like it.
    This post in Mashable helped me with this: http://mashable.com/2007/08/15/wordpress-posts/ Just make sure to get new plugins as that article is 2 years old.

andbeyond I stopped reading your post after your first 2 examples. You've obviously taken me wrong. I'm not comparing Joomla to anything else. I'm not saying that Joomla is better or worse for any particular purpose than anything else. I'm not putting Wordpress down. on the contrary, in the other thread similar to this one I stated that if I intended to use a blog it would be Wordpress. The real point that you seem to be totally oblivious to is that there are appropriate applications for each task. It doesn't really matter if one makes great coffee IF I DON"T NEED COFFEE!

My issue was only with your initial statement. A clarification was all that was needed, if that. Even though I am glad to see that you did a little research before commenting this time, though I can't comment on the accuracy.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

http and a telephoto
    Wordpress is a blogging platform. Wordpress is a CMS. Wordpress can make pages AND posts and look like any other website. There are a number of sites out there that you probably don't even know are Wordpress.

If Joomla doesn't do what you need it to do, then don't use it. In the past I used all versions of the "nukes" and due to being hacked too much because the code was bad or plugins were vulnerable, I went back to straight HTML sites. Then I settled into Wordpress.

Define your list of needs. Add to that your list of wants. Then find the software that does those things. Wordpress can probably be made to do anything on your list with either free or paid plugins and themes.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Wow, I spent a little bit of time with WordPress. I spent an hour just trying to choose a simple theme. It turns out to involve a very, very, very complex set of decisions -- and it appears that many or most of the configuration options are connected to the "theme," so changing themes would mean re-configuring many options.

I suppose I should love the raw power: I can edit a theme by, well, editing the CSS file directly. But with several different themes, I couldn't get comments to display, period. After two hours, I was never ONCE able to get comments to display below an article. (The default is that there is a LINK that goes to a separate page where comments are displayed.) This is really confusing me, because it really appears that nearly ALL WordPress web sites with comments show them right below the article -- so I assume there is a simple setting somewhere that I just couldn't find.

Probably the most annoying thing, for me, was that despite the existence of 900+ free themes/templates, I could not find one that came close to meeting my needs. None of the themes/templates appear to allow for "fluid width, but with a maximum width" (yes, of course, I could figure out how to code this in CSS and go in and manually edit the CSS file).

Several of the themes/templates that I considered to be "closest to what I want," did not display properly in "preview" mode, suggesting that there are some layers of complexity here i don't understand.

Eventually I tried to install the "Atahualpa" theme which is incredibly customizable -- but because there were so many options and sub-options, I got overwhelmed pretty quickly, and when I tried to find specific capabilities (for example, "display the comments after the article"), I couldn't find them.

I've spent a couple of dozen hours working with Joomla over the past week, plus I read a book on Joomla -- so of course I'm nowhere near being able to make a fair comparison; I can't really say whether WordPress might provide what I need until I spend a few dozen hours trying to get it configured. I'm absolutely NOT convinced that I should invest that time, because (as with many choices I've had to make lately) I'm faced with trading one complex system for another complex system -- with the knowledge that "I don't know what I don't know" about how either system might meet my needs. Basically, I have to decide whether to set aside all the work I've done over the past week, and start over essentially from scratch, and then after another week, try to decide which system might be best for me.

Clearly, I'd need to spend a bunch of time on this -- and as with Joomla or Drupal, I'd need to spend time figuring out the core "metaphor" and the ways that things interact.

I definitely am confused about the distinction (if there is one) between "categories" and tags -- what I want, quite simply, is the ability to assign multiple categories to a blog entry, but that seems to be a feature reserved for tags; except that tags apparently can't be hierarchical? It does appear that with WordPress, I'm not limited to just two levels of category (Joomla's "section" and "category").

I will say that if I'd started with WordPress and tried to switch to Joomla, I would never have progressed beyond the second hour, because Joomla's "menu-centric" structure would have been completely and utterly impossible to figure out. But now that I've worked with that "menu-centric" structure, I'm already noticing apparent limitations in how WordPress handles things -- again, after only a short, superficial effort.

One issue I'm facing is that all the WordPress themes do seem to "push" a fairly similar set of design ideas and functional elements; I absolutely understand why so many WordPress sites "feel" similar even if they visually look quite different. I guess that's a good thing, unless you want the software to do something different (for example, if you don't want it to look like a blog). I really don't see any templates that don't have the "feel" of a blog site -- so once again, it seems like I'm looking at a solution that is both limiting and limited. It definitely feels as if "moving beyond" the blog metaphor will require some special coding and lots of extra effort, and of course discovery, selection, and implementation of a bunch of add-in components. And how, in the end, is that really any different from the issues I'm facing with Joomla? Yes, a lot more people use WordPress; but I don't yet have any clear feeling that "among those people who need to extend the functionality," there are really a lot more WordPress people that Joomla people.

This thread sort of amazes me.

People have suggested numerous CMS ideas. Others have pushed WordPress.

Mark, it just seems that there ISN'T software out there, either straight CMS, straight WordPress, and/or modified of either, that meets what you're looking for.

Or, and I don't intend this to sound rude in anyway, perhaps you really aren't clear on just what you want. Or, if you know just what you want, again, there simply isn't such a critter available.
    Generate more fake news.

A couple ideas Mark:

You are looking very hard for a place to turn on comments. I said above that it is on by default. I think you should start a bit slower and just start walking before you run.

Start Wordpress and a recent version so you dont get confused if somethings are missing. 2.8+

Change the theme to the ugly default blue one. Open another tab and look at the site after changes.

Play around with the commenting system.

Make comments.

Have others make comments.

Then login to the admin section and approve them.

Make a few new posts with copy pasted fake data. Or just Lorem Ipsum data.

Cross Link posts.

Try adding images.

Try making new categories in the admin

Try making a new post and selecting more than one category.

Try making new tags on a new story.

Make a story with one tag

Many tags

Then take a piece of paper and brainstorm what you "Must have" and "want to have" on the new site. Two columns

Fill it out.

The "want to haves" like a variable width with some minimum width is slowing you down from getting the real meat of this done. Most readers dont care what the width is.

Decide how you can accomplish the MUSTS with a theme, plugin, customization, or content. If you are not sure try googling the idea or message back here. Someone probably knows and has done it, and documented it.

Find all the things for the musts, save locally, and then upload the plugins.

Test it.

Then change the theme to what you want. Everything stays the same, plugins, comments, posts etc.

You probably do not absolutely need to change the css. Try to avoid doing so at first.

You should be at that point you are 80% to what you want. THen start working on the want to have list.

Dont be afraid to just google what you want rather than looking around the admin for it to jump out at you. for example

How to make wordpress not look like a blog.

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=ho...ient=firefox-a

Or Good Tuturials:
    http://www.tripwiremagazine.com/tuto...ollection.html

Or straight from Wordpress:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Main_Page

Good Luck

PS that atapulaha theme is complicated I use it on two sites and am thinking about going away from it. I also dont like all the real estate the header takes up. But remember themes are no big deal. Dont fall in love with one. Get the plugins, categories, and the content flowing.

Once you have a better idea of what WOrdpress is, how you will interact with it, you could then hire a developer to make exactly the theme or header you want. Probably $50 - 200. Might be worth it if it saves you time and lets you concentrate on the site.
    Last edited by andbeyond; July 31st, 2009 at 01:58 AM.

Mark, Writerguy is right, perhaps you're over-thinking the engine. Just start publishing, and add bells & whistles as you go. Save your articles as unpublished to avoid the timeout (and change the global setting from the default 15 minutes).

My Joomla approach was to buy a template, then work on making it fit. I opted to stay with Joomla after one of my first posts showed up on Page 1 of google. Still a work in progress, but enjoy very high rankings.

You didn't PM me for the comments extension that only requires 3 steps.
    what I want, quite simply, is the ability to assign multiple categories to a blog entry, but that seems to be a feature reserved for tags; except that tags apparently can't be hierarchical?
    No they can't.. they're tags. Your readers will be familiar with how tags work. If you want to assign a post to multiple-categories, you use tags.. that's what they're designed for. And I paid for the most awesome Joomla tag extension ever.

As Writerguy said, no software will do exactly what you want.. but if you want to see the power of Joomla, check out this template subscription:
    http://demo.templateplazza.net/?temp...ulletin_plazza
    (no affiliation, just one of many services I've used)

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    As I noted in another discussion thread, Joomla has no "auto-save" feature ...
    {snip}
    I'm actually quite pleased that I only wasted an hour to "rule out" one option --
    Mark, I'd like to thank you for this thread. I too have been thinking about Content Management Systems and WordPress especially since I was censored by Google's Blogger more than a year ago.

I enjoy reading the options and suggestions written by every poster to this thread

Mark, if you try any of the suggested CMS programs I listed, it would be great to read your feedback.

PS -- I think you drove the nail through the coffin on Joomla for me Please keep the analysis coming, I love reading your prose/analysis [that's not a flirtation -- I said I enjoy reading the prose -- I know you are married -- I find your writing style entertaining].
    Last edited by Rhia7; July 31st, 2009 at 02:27 AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Sorry for bringing up an older thread, but I rarely come to ABW anymore. I found this thread while searching for something, and figured I needed to chime in/give something back to the community.

I am a Joomla guy, having been a user for about 8 years, and I love it. Here is my take on the top three free CMS programs out there I have used:

Wordpress - easiest to use, focus is textual content
    Drupal - hardest to use, focus is application based
    Joomla - a good mix between the two

I have clients who just blog, with no aspirations of doing anything more, so Wordpress has been great.

I have used Joomla to build basic content sites, brochure sites, social networks, and ecommerce sites.

I don't do drupal anymore, replaced with Joomla.

If you have Joomla questions, just let me know. I would be more than happy to give you my opinion
    Respectfully,

John

----------------------------------------------
    work = Initiate Demand
    passion = Global Ground Work

I'm a WordPress fan because being so technically challenged, I am actually able to use it ......of course someone else set it up for me........ but I like it.

A few years back I tried Joomla and well, let's just say I tried it..lol. What a mess. I'm sure it was me and not Joomla..but wow. Too many updates, fixes, bugs etc. for me. It scared me away.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

I love Drupal, but you have to be willing to get your hands dirty with code. I can't code, but if there is a problem somewhere there is usually already an answer so that you can just cut and paste, or someone has always helped me out where to look and what to replace. Drupal has a lot of advantages over CMSes like WordPress, but it is also a lot harder to learn.

But, dipping into it has taught me a lot about html, php and js. There are so many great video tutorial sites on how to use the many different modules for drupal, and these are a real boon! Drupal 7 is in the works and will hopefully become more usable for us non-techies.

OTOH, for quick sites that I am setting up I have been playing with wordpress. I must admit the auto-add and auto-update features are pretty cool!

I really don't think spending hundreds of hours on these things is a good idea. If you're set on getting something done in Joomla, or Wordpress, just hire a coder who can do it in one hour instead.

This is sort of a bump....because there is so much relevence to what I am trying to accomlish on one of my sites. I use Joomla as the base website and VBulletin for the forum. What I want to do is convert all my content from Joomla to WordPress based, and pimp my forum to where it is acting as the main membership database. Joomla is too complicated and has been very frustrating for us to use. WP is new to me but I am learning to love it.

Problem is, I have been having much difficulty finding someone to hire to do this....someone who knows all three - VB, Joomla and WP.

Can anyone guide me or suggest where I should look to find such a person or company that could do this?

Based in large part on the advice in this discussion thread, I'm also looking for help setting up a new WordPress MU installation (where I plan to move existing content from my Joomla blog). I posted this today in the WordPress forum (http://wordpress.org/support/topic/341834):
    I'd like to set up WordPress MU for multiple domains. I need help, and I'm going to try to be very, very specific in describing the help I believe I need. Maybe I can't get it (or perhaps I won't be able to afford it), but I'd like to start with my "ideal."

I need clear, detailed instructions describing the entire process for installing WordPress MU for multiple domains. The instructions must be very, very clear without assuming ANY specific knowledge or experience (of WordPress, the hosting environment, or Linux).

I've already found lots of "reasonably well-written" explanations, all of which assume far more knowledge and skill than I have. (I'm new to WordPress, and I would prefer not to start this experience by spending 20 or 50 hours struggling with the basic installation and configuration. I'm really just trusting people who have assured me that this is the right solution, after I struggled for many, many hours with Joomla.)

Let's just assume that I have NO experience or skills installing stuff on Linux servers, with WordPress, or with the specific hosting environment.

Probably much more important: recently, I find that I forget this type of information very, very quickly; it just doesn't stick. (On other technical projects, I've tried hiring people to do work, while taking detailed notes about what they're doing so I can replicate it, but this just hasn't worked.)

Currently, I have two "unlimited-domain" hosting accounts: a VPS account with eApps, and a $15 HostGator account. If necessary, I can open another hosting account somewhere else.

In your reply (to markwelch at markwelch dot com), please indicate what you'd charge, along with links: (1) to a multiple-domain WordPress MU installation you've configured; AND (2) to documentation that you've written.

Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast