Earlier I had posted about a copycat site I had found that was using content word for word for someone else's website. Not mine. I alerted the website owner to the problem and he contacted Google to see what they would do because the thief was using Adsense to profit from stolen content.

Google declined to do anything. They just said that they were not responsible for the content of a site (which they're not) and suggested they contact the website publisher. Which the original website owner is doing. I believe he is contacting their hosting company as well. The hosting company is in Pakistan and he is not getting much back from them.

I can't believe Google is allowing Adsense to run on a site with stolen content.

"Very funny Scotty. Now beam down my clothes."

google is supposed to respond positively to copyright issues; they have before.

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    google is supposed to respond positively to copyright issues; they have before.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but, it's too much work to determine, whose orginal content it was, and who's telling the truth. And, I don't think it's their job either.

Google hardly have time to send out AdSense checks...

ABW Ambassador
    I don't think you should expect Google to play the role of international law enforcement. By offering the Adsense program they shuld not have to automatically step into disputes between websites and pay for your investigation and legal costs.

Have you read up at http://www.google.com/dmca.html ?

A DMCA notification should help - that will drop them from the SERPs and possibly get their AdSense terminated.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

The webowner says he contacted Google again with more detail about the site and apparently they are looking into it. The matter was apparently refered to the first Google rep's supervisor/mgr and they want details faxed to them.

Looks like they might do something after all! Go Google.

The stolen pages were taken off by the copycat site yesterday. The link that pointed to those pages now points to a site directory. The hosting company advised the site to remove the stolen content immediately.

This is a large site in India with lots of other content and I think it is rotton that they tried to rip off content from another site.
    You have to wonder about they're other content.

They stole content from a site that is an affiliate of one of the merchants who has a forum here. They didn't have any links to the merchant, but were running Google Adsense on the stolen pages.

As a side note, Adsense is still running on the site. I don't know if Google will drop the offending site and terminate their Adsense account (which I think they should do), but I asked the guy who owns the original site to keep me posted.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread