Possible to do affiliate links w/o sacrificing Google PR?
    Hi,

We're currently participating as a ShareASale merchant and started signing up affiliates. This meant converting their existing links to us into the ShareASale unique URL that sets the cookie and redirects visitors to the correct page on our site. Unfortunately under this scenario we loose the "google juice" page rank of the inbound links. Is there another way to handle this that allows us to retain the benefit of the inbound links to our site?

Perhaps there's a javascript onclick method for setting the cookie from within the affiliate's website? I don't see anything on the SAS site that indicates this is the case though. How have other people dealt with this issue?

TIA
    sean

Outsourced Program Manager Sarah Bundy's Avatar
    oops wrong spot.

Not gonna happen.

Affiliates are supposed to bring you new customers, not page rank. Go visit Google, they know what affiliate links are and they don't bring you any "juice". For a link to assist you in page rank it would need to come from a related site, voluntarily - to help share your content.

Good luck!

Pagerank and Affiliate links
    @2busy- I'm aware of the intent of an affiliate program. Perhaps my request will make more sense given some context:

We have a major open source project that sends us a significant amount of traffic from this page . In the past they linked directly to a page on our site. We've since made them an affiliate and now their link goes to a shareasale.com URL redirect. I'm merely trying to determine if there's a way to set the affiliate cookies without sacrificing the search engine value of having them linking to us.

Has anyone ever successfully done this?

Sean

http and a telephoto
    No. Affiliate coded links need to be affiliate coded links and those links won't count as a backlink.

Either you get a straight backlink or you get an affiliate link. Affiliates don't post straight backlinks.

We understand your question, but you aren't going to get the answer you are hoping for. It just doesn't work that way.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Manager - Affiliate Marketing Patrick Vesperman's Avatar
    Only in a perfect world!

I know right!

No idea if they're still doing this, but I remember something about Link Connector trying to create a hybrid system of affiliate links that would still count as backlinks for SE purposes. Not sure if it worked or if I read something wrong or if the system is still in place.
    Your Ad Here.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by affninja
    No idea if they're still doing this, but I remember something about Link Connector trying to create a hybrid system of affiliate links that would still count as backlinks for SE purposes. Not sure if it worked or if I read something wrong or if the system is still in place.
    It doesn't work.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

How do you track your sales on Clickbank?
    Hi, I am just wondering what most people are using these days to track their sales on Clickbank or on ShareaSale.com or whatever else people are using these days?

I am especially concerned with how people are determining from what location their visitors came--especially those visitors that bought the product.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2busy is exactly correct -- Google won't even give much of a PR boost anymore if you trade links -- the incoming link to you gets the most juice if it's voluntary & relevant & has its own PR value. As was stated, googlebot knows an affiliate relationship when it sees one, and treats it accordingly by ignoring the page rank aspect. In fact, to make googlebot happy all affiliate links should probably include: rel="nofollow" (meaning the PR does not follow).

Sean, the only way I think you'd be able to get the best of both worlds would be to have them link to you directly and then on your side you'd need to write some code to check for the referrer and then keep track of any sales generated by that traffic on your side. Short of doing something like that, I don't think there's another way you'll be able to solve it.

Best of luck!
    Eric Tyler
    Eric [at] FinancialNetworkPro [dot] com
    [URL=http://financialnetworkpro.com]http://financialnetworkpro.com[/URL]

So as far as Google's concerned the previous link was capable of providing link juice because it wasn't paid. Now that it's an affiliate link it's a "paid" link meaning you're paying to have it there. Google will not give you any link juice as long as it's a paid link. So if you try to hide the fact that it's paid to get link juice Google will drop your rank if they find out.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    It's a far more basic issue than whether the link is "paid" or not. The fact that the link is going through a tracking server is why it doesn't have any juice. Having that hop often kills (or massively dilutes) the link juice by itself, but on top of that, many networks block all the SEs from their tracking servers (which definitely kills the link juice).

Unfortunately, I don't know of any networks which avoid this effect AND have trusted tracking.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Can't believe that this thread is even alive now.

You're a dumb ass.

If I were to contemplate joining your merchant offer, and you were more concerned about your Google PR than taking care of me and my affiliate program, I'd dump you in a second....

werd ....

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread