No Longer Banned!
    Domain Squatting. A New Term For Me....
    Hi

I was having a conversation with a well respected internet guy recently and he mentioned the words "Domain Squatting" to me.

So I did a search. It seemed a bit vague.

If I were to own a name derived domain, and I owned the trademarks on that name too, where does the law stand then ?

What if I have no intention of ever selling the domain, just driving traffic to it and at the same time driving off line traffic to the off line biz too ?

To add to this, what if I am sending the "name" a huge majority of the profits w/o a contract or agreement to do so ? How will the law see my ownership of the said Domain[s] & trademarks then ?

[If I own the domain, Servers, Hosting, WebSite, and "names" Trademarks and "name" owns the off line biz and "name" keeps all off line money I drive to the "name" + a big portion of the OnLine money and I draw what would amount to a small paycheck every month]

What other caveats are there ??

Please advise ?

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Williams; August 1st, 2009 at 03:46 AM. Reason: typpo
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

See if this shines any light for you. http://news.cnet.com/2100-1023-219644.html

No Longer Banned!
    Exclamation No Light At The End Of The Tunnel ?....
    Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    See if this shines any light for you. http://news.cnet.com/2100-1023-219644.html
    John.

No it doesn't.

The story implies that MicroCrap owns the TradeMarks and the "Squatter" owns the domain. While I would own the doman[s] AND the TradeMarks.

In addition, he wants to sell the domain, while I do not.

Moreover, I desire to pay royalties from the start.

Does this change things ?

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

If you own the domain and the trademarks, where does any squatting enter into it? Why would you pay royalties for your own trademarks?

As long as the content of your site supports the line of business in which your trademark was registered, you should be fine.

However, if you own the trademark within a certain type of product, but your site content is tailored towards another industry (where someone else holds the trademark) that could cause confusion, and that's where the trouble can occur.

For example, I can't go out and register my "Hair Care Products" business with the trademark of "MicroSoft" then have a site all about software. (an extreme example, only for illustration purposes). In this case, my trademark and my site don't match...

Trademarks are often limited within the type of business you run (and are often defined as such within the trademark registration).

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    In my limited experience if you own the trademark for the domain then there is no conflict. If you don't then it is up to the trademark to come after you. That is a long and arduous process where you have to file a case with ICAN the governing body. I can tell you that there are many domains who make their living doing this. There are companies like Citizenhawk.com and Aliasencore.com who go after domain squatters, cybersqattters and typosquatters, regain the domains through an affiliate relationship.

If you are considering approaching a company to find all possible related domains and offering them a partnership to send traffic their way I doubt they would agree.

No Longer Banned!
    My next website ??.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    In my limited experience if you own the trademark for the domain then there is no conflict. If you don't then it is up to the trademark to come after you. That is a long and arduous process where you have to file a case with ICAN the governing body. I can tell you that there are many domains who make their living doing this. There are companies like Citizenhawk.com and Aliasencore.com who go after domain squatters, cybersqattters and typosquatters, regain the domains through an affiliate relationship.

If you are considering approaching a company to find all possible related domains and offering them a partnership to send traffic their way I doubt they would agree.
    Chuck

I will not be offering [name] a partnership. Instead, I like the person involved, and I want to do the right thing monetarily.

Thanks for clearing up a bit about trademark ownership too.

If I did this, I would be the sole owner of all trademarks and domains of "name" in question.

I would be promoting the biz DIRECTLY related to the "name[s]" current off line biz and I would be the online arm, paying "name" a piece of the action.

I have no desire to sell, Instead, I prefer the residual income.

Feed back ??

Steve

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread