Arrow WP or my own domain?
    Hi! I am new to affiliate marketing. I want to start my own blog.

Please tell me what would be the best option for me- starting my blog at WordPress, or using my own domain?

Although the best option always is to start a blog on your own domain, at this point I cannot afford to buy a .com domain. Also, paying for hosting services is not possible for me.

As I want to establish my blog as the primary way to reach the audience, should I start my blog at WordPress? Or should I try to buy my own domain?

http and a telephoto
    You can't advertise using affiliate links with the free hosting at Wordpress.com. You can do anything you want with the self hosted Wordpress software from wordpress.org that you install on your own domain.

Having your own domain is always better. Check out this thread for more info about using free hosting and social networks as a substitute for your own website.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thank you loxly for you advice.

Affiliate Manager BlogBonnieBlog's Avatar
    another vote for self hosted! wordpress is easy to install on the right host. Do it right the first time you'll be glad you did! good luck!

Thank you BlogBonnieBlog. Wish me luck!

If you can't afford the $7 for a domain and the $7/mo for a hosting plan, then you've got bigger issues.. Do it right, or don't do it at all. Wordpress.com's sites are horribly restricted, and Blogger isn't the greatest thing in the world either.. But if I had to choose between the two, I'd go Blogger in a heartbeat.

Host it. Get a debit card and host it. Take charge of your content.

Purchase one year hosting get free domain
    Quote Originally Posted by BlogBonnieBlog
    another vote for self hosted! wordpress is easy to install on the right host. Do it right the first time you'll be glad you did! good luck!
    Ditto, I couldn't agree more. Also if you select a host who will give you a package deal like free domain name with one year hosting, most of them use cpanel or vdeck one of those which will have wordpress in their install central/fantastico again or one similar. It is so easy to install just a matter of click the button.

You get the best of both worlds. You can elect to use it as your blog only or as your site. Keep in mind with those package deal you get a lot of other little goodies.

Best of luck to you.

I use both, blogger and self hosted wp and like both of them. Posting on my wp site is the easiest. Blogger has times where I can't change things easily. Never with wp. My self hosted wp only runs $8.95 a month and would be cheaper if I paid for year in advance. Lots of good stuff in my package too!

katlupe

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    I would try to get the best deal on the hosting for the price of the hosting.

And get your domain(s) seperate with Moniker or namecheap. They are better than hosting companies domaining and you dont have all your eggs in one basket.

I still cant get one domain off of a hosting account even after 3 years. Their interface is broken. No transfers....

Quote Originally Posted by katlupe
    I use both, blogger and self hosted wp and like both of them. Posting on my wp site is the easiest. Blogger has times where I can't change things easily. Never with wp. My self hosted wp only runs $8.95 a month and would be cheaper if I paid for year in advance. Lots of good stuff in my package too!

katlupe
    Hi Kat,
    When I purchased my 1st domain it cost me a total of $72 for the year. With that I got Free domain name, unlimited hosting space, bandwith, email accounts, host unlimited domains, CGI, RUBY, PERL,MySQL, ecommerce ready, free shopping carts, web site templates and builders and blogging & forum tools. Thru this same company I also purchased three other domain names for $1.99 each. All of which have the same perks as my 1st one.

I am deliberately not mentioning the name of the host I use, because I do some work for other people purchasing domain names, setting them up with a host, installing wordpress and all that jazz and they elect to use other hosts who offer pretty much the same type of deal. You should do some research, watch their demos and then make an educated decision. KEEP IN MIND, most hosting companies have affiliate programs as well so select one you would be proud to sponsor.

My point is if you are purchasing a new domain name, it would be wise to find a host who offers a package like the one I described. You can be up and running in less than 30 minutes for under $100 dollars.

Enjoy your day,
    Cranky
    “Whether you think you can or think you can’t, Your Right” ~ Henry Ford
    Last edited by OldCranky; August 15th, 2009 at 08:05 AM. Reason: typo

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Absolutely self hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by OldCranky
    Hi Kat,
    When I purchased my 1st domain it cost me a total of $72 for the year. With that I got Free domain name, unlimited hosting space, bandwith, email accounts, host unlimited domains, CGI, RUBY, PERL,MySQL, ecommerce ready, free shopping carts, web site templates and builders and blogging & forum tools. Thru this same company I also purchased three other domain names for $1.99 each. All of which have the same perks as my 1st one.

I am deliberately not mentioning the name of the host I use, because I do some work for other people purchasing domain names, setting them up with a host, installing wordpress and all that jazz and they elect to use other hosts who offer pretty much the same type of deal. You should do some research, watch their demos and then make an educated decision. KEEP IN MIND, most hosting companies have affiliate programs as well so select one you would be proud to sponsor.

My point is if you are purchasing a new domain name, it would be wise to find a host who offers a package like the one I described. You can be up and running in less than 30 minutes for under $100 dollars.

Enjoy your day,
    Cranky
    “Whether you think you can or think you can’t, Your Right” ~ Henry Ford

I already have my sites up and running. One is not an affiliate site but my retail site which is my main site and that has been up for 7 years now with the same host. My affiliate site I have hosted with the same host that I use for my church site (which my husband designed and maintained and I edit the sermon videos for that one) and for another site he did. I am very pleased with my host and was familiar with it before I used them for my affiliate site (it's not just an affiliate site but my blog mainly) back in November of last year. Eventually.....we hope to have our own server.

katlupe

Quote Originally Posted by OldCranky
    For ease of use, and price, absolutely. And most of the time, with a quality host, there is no issue with this.

But, still.... I will always keep my domains separate in an account directly with a reputable top-level registrar. Hosting can be re-created and moved around at will...ie. it's just a black-box rented place to put stuff. The domain name is your address, unique...real property as it were, with value...that points to the rental box...and it matters who has control over it. (And the WHOIS information should always be in YOUR name, not the hosting company's...or you don't really control it and have a very tough fight if things go wrong.)

+1 on the self hosting
    Last edited by Tookings Rick; August 15th, 2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: munged the quote codes...

Thank you very much guys! Now I have no doubts where to start.

Outsourced Program Manager Sarah Bundy's Avatar
    You can also shop around to make sure you get the best price possible for your domain name. If you're super tight on cash (like it sounds like) you might be able to save a dollar or two depending on where you buy it.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread