[Article] The FTC Takes On Targeted Web Ads
    Jon Leibowitz, Obama's top consumer watchdog, hints that he's losing patience with the behavioral-targeting practices of Internet marketers
    http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...ge_top+stories
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Interesting article -

"In June 2007 he said the $1.5 million settlement with DirectRevenue was too lenient, calling it "a disappointment because it apparently leaves DirectRevenue's owners lining their pockets with more than $20 million from a business model based on deceit."

"He supports the controversial approach of making more of the targeted ads on the Internet "opt-in"—meaning they would require consent from Web users before collecting data—and is in talks with members of Congress intent on drafting legislation for online ads."

Affiliate Manager
    Definitely an interesting article. I'd have to see any legislation before I can comment on it, but in general, I think Opt-In is much better than Opt-Out.

Any discussion of the careless use of consumer information MUST include Facebook (as the article very briefly did). To me, they are Zango with SaaS (software as a service) as opposed to a drive by install. (Although, I have seen no evidence of cookie over-writing )

Question is, since you need to sign up for a Facebook account, and agree to their terms, aren't you opting in to begin with?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    Question is, since you need to sign up for a Facebook account, and agree to their terms, aren't you opting in to begin with?
    Yes, and I'd guess that the majority of users never read the terms and have no idea what they've agreed too.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    I'd guess that the majority of users never read the terms and have no idea what they're agreeing too.

-rematt
    Nonetheless.....
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Sorry, I edited my post while you were making yours. I agree that by accepting the terms that users are in many cases agreeing to things that they normally wouldn't find acceptable, yet so few take the time to understand what they are agreeing to. Terms for services like Facebook need to be less "legalese" and more consumer friendly.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I am assuming they are addressing collection of user data but couldn't this also almost include contextual advertising, i.e. Adwords and AdSense? After all, they match the ad to the site or search string the user chooses.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    I am assuming they are addressing collection of user data but couldn't this also almost include contextual advertising, i.e. Adwords and AdSense? After all, they match the ad to the site or search string the user chooses.
    Depending on how far they want to go, yes. It's more likely to me that the FTC would be worried about the Google (et al) content networks (especially considering the new Terms publishers have read), rather than the ads on the SERP pages. But I don't know.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Affiliate Network Rep DirectKristen's Avatar
    Direct Agents recently posted an article on our blog concerning this issue. You can check it out here: http://blog.directagents.com/2009/06...filiate-links/

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Kristen, your post made me think of Geno's post a few weeks ago:

http://www.amnavigator.com/blog/2009.../#comment-2785

Since reviews are such a popular form of advertising our programs it was very relevant to our affiliates!
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread