Site recruitment or spam? (Actonia Inc. Kalpesh Guard)
    Would anyone do business with a company based on an email like this? (emphasis added)

Hello,

My name is Kalpesh Guard and I am part of the Marketing Team at
    Actonia, Inc.

We are looking for quality sites to advertise on in the jewelry industry and came across yours while researching. We would be interested in
    advertising on www. love-our-dog.com

Do you have an Advertising Rate card? Or, could you let me know the cost of banner and/or text links on the site? Also, can you tell me if you have any other websites related to the same category?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
    Kalpesh Guard

Actonia, Inc.

That's the email I received today. I'm not sure how they discerned any connection between "jewelry" and the "Love-Our-Dog" web site (which is a "placeholder" site that uses PopShops); perhaps they matched to a keyword that appears on one of the PopShops continuation page (maybe a dog-breed pendant).

My immediate assumption was that this was yet another mail-merge spam. I did some quick research:

Actonia Inc.

Immediate Red Flags:
    - Their "About Us" page doesn't identify a location, names of any individuals, nor a legal entity name
    - Their "contact us" page is 404 not found
    - They have no privacy policy
    - Private domain registration

According to Alexa, 26% of Actonia's web site traffic comes from Kyrgyzstan

Kalpesh Guard, CEO of Actonia, Inc., said by telephone that his company is located in "Chicago"
    The current WHOIS entry shows that Actonia.com is a private registration
    Alexa shows this address: ParasTech Enterprises, 17 Gordhandas Bldg, 116 JSS Rd, Girgaum, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400004, INDIA
    AboutUs.org shows this address: 11024 W. 72nd St., Indian Head Park, IL 60525, tel. 773-295-1610 (Google Voice)
    An internship web site identifies the company's location as Des Plains, IL (July 17, 2009)

"Christopher Boulanger" is identified as "Sr. Online Marketing Consultant" with Actonia in a linkedin profile, which indicates that he is in the Boston area, but his Twitter profile (cbmoocow) shows a phone number of "42.372238,-71.119072" His most recent tweet: "Just got done with hour long talk about sex positions."

I'm not sure what to believe; it really looks like some people in India trying to fabricate the appearance that they are in the U.S., but it might just be some people in the U.S. doing a really, really bad job.
    Last edited by markwelch; August 3rd, 2009 at 12:20 PM.

When in doubt just walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    I'm not sure what to believe; it really looks like some people in India trying to fabricate the appearance that they are in the U.S., but it might just be some people in the U.S. doing a really, really bad job.
    Either way, it's more than enough information to keep me away.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread