Publishers Poll- %of impressions that lead to advertisers???
    Question for you all - what percentage of page impressions lead to an advertisers site? I love that cj.com tracks the 7 day and 30 day EPC, but what I'M curious to know is what percent of page views end up leading a user to be one of those 100 clicks. I obviously know that this number will be contingent on lots of things, like how relevant the content is, etc etc etc, but i'm just looking for averages from other publishers. I'm sure you all are curious to find out how each other are doing anyway, so drop some numbers

http and a telephoto
    Impressions are meaningless.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

You mean CTR (Click through rate)?
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I think Loxly, that he is asking for click through rate.

We can see CTR from an advertiser side (although it's not accurate if publishers remove the impression tag), although I don't use it as a measure of success for a given publisher.
    [FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=Navy]Jonathan Claydon | [email]jclaydon@real.com[/email][/COLOR] |[COLOR=Gray] Director - Affiliate and Partner Marketing[/COLOR] |[/B] [COLOR=Blue]Real[/COLOR]Networks, Inc.[/FONT]

Interesting, Jclay. Because as a publisher, I use my personal CTR for an advertiser to judge the value of the advertiser, long term

Avantlink is GREAT at providing me that granularity. I look at it a lot.

Edit: I don't look at program wide CTR. Just my own. God knows what crap websites a poor advertisers banners or text links might end up on.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Oh of course, from a publishers perspective CTR is critical. On the advertiser side, metrics range so dramatically it doesn't hold much bearing on how I perceive my affiliates.

Again the challenge is that most impressions are not tracked due to publishers stripping out the imp tags... I'd like to see it accurately recorded in CJ so that I could potentially optimize any affiliate with a large amount of impressions but low CTR.
    [FONT=Arial][B][COLOR=Navy]Jonathan Claydon | [email]jclaydon@real.com[/email][/COLOR] |[COLOR=Gray] Director - Affiliate and Partner Marketing[/COLOR] |[/B] [COLOR=Blue]Real[/COLOR]Networks, Inc.[/FONT]

Yeah, click through rate is what I was looking for, though I didn't know the terminology at the time. Wikipedia says that the average click through rate for banner ads is much less than 1 percent and that anything close to 1-2% is considered very successful. Wikipedia also says that websites ads which are highly relevant to the content of the site can achieve much higher click through rates- which is what I was REALLY curious about. The whole reason I want to know these details is simply because I am trying to build a revenue projections spreadsheet for investors of my website. I have already estimated the number of people that we can expect on the site initially (because I know my current clientel) and with some estimations, the growth of the site. Through CJ's statistics on 30 and 7 day epc's I know what we can expect once x number of people click on the ad. What I DON'T know is the missing link in between. Given that I have X number of people on the site, how many of them will click on the bloody ads in the first place.

Anyway- thanks for your help already, just looking up details on CTR has been fairly helpful.

To extrapolate, I see it this way.

If my banners get a 2 to 3% CTR (mine are highly targeted, but my text links do much better), and a merchant converts 3% of the time (again, banner ads, not really good buying traffic), then you can expect 3% of 3%.

That said, I have a particular products page on my site that has close to a 40% CTR, and 40% conversion from the merchant. That's where the money is made.

I also have product pages that don't do nearly as well.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread