Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    Can Affiliates Update Their Contact Details
    Hi

I've sent out a note to affiliates introducing myself on a program as the dedicated affiliate manager only to have a large number come back as email address not found (bounced).

So either affiliates are failing to update their contact information on Shareasale or those details never existed.

Either way, tomorrow I am going through every notification I got telling me an affiliate failed to get a notification and I'll be back checking to look at the websites listed by affiliates as point of contact to see if I can still contact them to get their details updated.

Can affiliates please update contact details and let me know.

The reason I ask is I shall have no option but to cull a few from the program owing to a total inability to pass on important information from the merchant detailing the latest promotions and recommended products plus details of new feeds. It's pointless sending out offers details if those signed to the program fail to receive it, so I'll give it a short while so people can update details, but then I have to go into slice and dice mode.

If affiliates cannot be bothered to maintain contact information and either use out of date information or false information, what does that say about the quality of some affiliates and their attention to detail?

I'm always willing to give everyone a chance but I have material to get out to affiliates and the merchant wants this material made available to affiliates to assist them in their promotions.

ABW Ambassador
    They can "edit account settings"

Manager - Affiliate Marketing Patrick Vesperman's Avatar
    John, I have had similar problems...although not as prevalent as you. It seems to be in shareasale's best interest to have the contact info up to date as well. While I agree that it is a huge oversight/negligence on the part of the affiliate, I don't think removing them from your program is the best course of action. Do any of the affiliates in question convert for you - whether clicks or sales?

Carolyn - can you give your 2 cents on this one?

http and a telephoto
    I would be careful when culling from bounced emails. There can be a number of issues that make an email undeliverable, some which are out of the affiliates hands. Some "soft bounces" are full mailboxes, *your* email address being marked as spam for some reason, some ISP's being difficult.

The ones we cull are the ones that are "mailbox not found" and when we check their Shareasale profile and they no longer have a site.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

http and a telephoto
    I meant to elaborate on the "your email could be marked as spam". Since the emails are sent from Shareasale servers and your email address is not a shareasale address, some ISPs will mark those as spam and the affiliate won't even know their mail is being blocked.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I would be careful when culling from bounced emails. There can be a number of issues that make an email undeliverable, some which are out of the affiliates hands. Some "soft bounces" are full mailboxes, *your* email address being marked as spam for some reason, some ISP's being difficult.

The ones we cull are the ones that are "mailbox not found" and when we check their Shareasale profile and they no longer have a site.
    I agree Loxly. It's the mailbox not found I am addressing. A couple were full so I'll go the extra yard and find an alternative method of contacting, but the mailbox not founds are going to have to be addressed.

Basically the merchant operates on 5 networks. 4 are for the same program. I run all 4 now, having operated 3 of them since January. So I intend to do what I did with the others and boost things up. To do so I need to be able to contact periodically.

I am sure everyone would agree it's not unreasonable to expect contact details to be maintained. How else can a merchant contact affiliates directly? I always read that affiliates complain of never being able to contact an affiliate manager. Well here's one wanting contact and falling at the first fence.

Outsourced Program Manager
    Bounced emails
    I have had the same porblem for years and this is how i handle it.

I often send out Newsletters to inactive affiliates annoucing bonus's/special deals. If their emails bounce what good is it?

So if the newsletters bonuce 3 times and the affiliate is NOT active i drop them.

In SAS they ask for the reason as they notify the affiliate why they are being dropped. Of course that bounces as well :-)

Of course if they are active i do not drop them but i have seen over the years that 95% of active affiliates whose emails bounce do not produce sales.
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

I am glad I posted this thread on the forum. Of the initial 34 affiliates with dead email addresses or full mailboxes, they've obviously read this and updated their details so thanks.

Now reduced to just 16 of which 3 are full.

I will give it all a little longer, having sent out a newsletter. After then next one goes out then any I still can't contact will be removed from the program.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread