Questions for Cat People
    It appears we have a new member to our family - a little kitty came to our house about a week ago and seems to have decided to stay. I suppose the feeding and petting may have had a little to do with it but she was extremely thin, and still is.

Question #1: She appeared to be pregnant when she came. Not huge but she had a big tummy for being so thin otherwise. I felt her stomach and there were 2 hard bumps. We didn't see her for two days and when she returned she was even thinner and the bumps were gone. So here's the question - she obviously has had the kittens but doesn't really ever leave the porch. Wouldn't she have to go and feed them many times a day?

Which leads to question #2, my Grandma always had tons of cats and when they had kittens, it was quite clear from their tummies that the babies were nursing. This cat doesn't have any signs of nursing. Wouldn't we be able to tell?

And question #3, are there any concerns for my kids to be petting her? They always wash their hands afterward.

She is going to the vet on Wed. for shots and I will talk to them about the kittens but from my phone call with them today, they seem to think that she lost the kittens from lack of proper nutrition.

Thanks guys!

http and a telephoto
    It sounds like she probably miscarried. Or the lumps were something else altogether that has passed through her system. Kittens would have been sortof hard, but moving around. Best thing to do is get her to the vet and let them help you get her healthy, then have her spayed in case there were some uterine issues going on.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Ooooo kitties are the best! Hope she's OK and that you enjoy and love her to pieces!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

We had a cat turn up about two months ago, obviously an abandoned housecat because it knew all the housecat tricks but judging by the fleas and worms it had, it hadn't been cared for recently. He set of home in a box by the back door and seems quite happy to have humans to hang around with. In return, he catches mice (which I guess has been his main dinner for a while).

The vet should be able to tell you a lot, but those lumps could have been something else.. a hairball perhaps?
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Ooooo kitties are the best! Hope she's OK and that you enjoy and love her to pieces!
    She is definitely getting more than enough attention. Boy, does she love the petting.

I didn't want to mention this because some folks might be offended but since she came back after being gone for 2 days, there is a some blood. The lady at the vet's said that it's just from having the kittens. So we are fairly certain, she was pregnant.

Like Dynamoo's cat, this one really wants to come in the house and jumps right up on my lap when I sit down. But from the looks of her, she hasn't been fed in a while. Around here, people will "dump" an animal when they become pregnant rather than finding homes for the kittens.

The kids have named her Gloria. But she has a splash of black fur right under one side of her nose, so I have been calling her Booger Nose. Yeah, I know, real nice.

Also, what do you guys think I should be feeding her? And how much? She will eat right through about 2/3 of a cup of cat food.

Affiliate Manager
    Sounds like she was a house cat. I always free fed my cats but it sounds like she is trying to get "caught up" on some meals. You might want to give her a little more but not much. You don't want her to up chuck because she ate too much.

hope things are well.

http and a telephoto
    The vet should have recommended some food, you want something that is high calorie that she won't have to eat volumes of to get her body back in balance. Get some BeneBac and some NutraMalt (says it's for hairballs, but it is also chock full of extra calories and vitamins). I would even suggest giving her some kitten food for a short time, that has a higher concentration of what her body could be lacking also.

I'm also assuming the vet gave you pills to worm her? And something like Advantage or Frontline to kill fleas.
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    About the kids petting her, the only concern would be if you had other pets and she had something communicable to other cats. Your kids wouldn't get sick from petting her, but other cats they pet after they pet her could.

The kitten we rescued two weeks ago is doing great, but she is segregated from the rest of the cats in the house until she has her shots. She was an outdoors kitten just a little too long for me to be comfortable with her mingling with the other cats just yet. My other cats range in age from 7 to 12 and even though they are healthy, I don't want anything passing from one to the other.
    Deborah Carney

Pictures. We need pictures here. I hope the vet can take all those worries away tomorrow. Good luck with your new baby

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    Pictures. We need pictures here. I hope the vet can take all those worries away tomorrow. Good luck with your new baby
    I was thinking the same thing about pictures! And now the vet appt. has been moved to Thursday morning.

loxly, I was thinking the same thing about worms. I have had to give worm medicine to dogs many times but never to a cat. Not sure how to accomplish that.

My mom hates cats, so we were never allowed to have one. My grandma on the other hand (my mom's mom) loved them and had a boat load. I loved going to her house and playing with the cats. She took in stray or injured cats even though she didn't have much herself.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread