Thread: Buy.at's International Sales Policies

Buy.at's International Sales Policies
    I think Buy.at should let affiliates know in advance that if anyone makes a purchase that is not in your preferred currency that you need to either accept a paid option via Payoneer Debit card (after you generate at least $35 in commissions in that currency) or wait until you somehow generate sufficient commissions in that other currency to receive your commissions in your preferred currency. It may be years before I generate $250 in commissions in GBP£ ( since I don't target UK buyers) so that I can receive any commissions for any sales in GBP. Worse if the sales are in CAD ($450 minimum to convert to USD)
    Penalizing affiliates for shoppers' actions that they have no control over is not affiliate friendly.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    2busy,

Many thanks for your post and apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

As you say, here at buy.at, we always pay our affiliates in the currency in which the end consumer completed their transactions. In order to limit both the network and affiliates exposure to currency rate fluctuations, we made the decision to bill merchants and settle our affiliate liabilities in that tracked currency.

In order to make this happen, we had to find ways of being able to make international payments for those affiliates that donít have foreign currency accounts. We have two options, open to everyone;

1) International payments. These are made at ZERO cost to the affiliate, but, in exchange for that zero cost, affiliates are set relatively high payment thresholds. This is so that the bank that we partner with are able to make a small profit on the currency exchanges in order to pay for their time and effort.

2) Prepaid MasterCard. This is a very novel way of receiving funds as cash is loaded onto a MasterCard allowing you to withdraw cash at any MasterCard ATM on the planet or purchase online wherever you choose. Yes, there are fees involved, but these are minimal considering the services offered in my opinion.

I appreciate that this may mean that you have slight increase in admin costs or maybe delays in getting your cash, but I feel that we have alternatives available to you. I hope that explains things a little better for you and that you no longer feel that you are, in some way, being penalized.

If you have anything you wish to discuss, please just drop me an email and I will be happy to talk.

Best regards

Paul
    Paul.newton@buy.at

2) Prepaid MasterCard. This is a very novel way of receiving funds as cash is loaded onto a MasterCard allowing you to withdraw cash at any MasterCard ATM on the planet or purchase online wherever you choose. Yes, there are fees involved, but these are minimal considering the services offered in my opinion.
    First of all, there is also a minimum for using this option which means I would need to generate more international sales in that same currency (but please not in another different one). Granted it is lower than the zero cost option but there are fees at both ends of this option. If I use the debit card in an ATM and the card is not local there are fees at this end too. Given the amount of time that Buy.at will be warehousing these funds without adding any interest (could be years before I generate another GBP sale) I'm afraid I do need to see it as penalizing the affiliate for something they do not control.

I think that the ABW forum was created to discuss these things openly so I won't be sending an email to discuss this. It potentially affects every Buy.at affiliate.

Affiliate Network Rep JCrooks - AffiliateWindow's Avatar
    2busy,

I am more than happy to discuss matters on the forum, I was just offering to take the discussion offline if you wished to discuss private matters.

There is a minimum payment level for every one of our payment options, and the lower limit for the MasterCard payment option the same as the ACH/Check option levels at $25 USD. This is to ensure that we, as a finance team, donít get swamped with preparing payments for pennies that we would make a loss on.

I assure you, that interest that we earn on the funds that get "rolled forward" due to not hitting minimum payment thresholds is dwarfed by the bank fees that we face in having our numerous bank accounts and payment option in place.

We did discuss this before launching our global affiliate option and our view was that any payments below the $25 USD threshold was deemed to be so low as to not cause any issues to affiliates. You have to consider that cross border payments cost a lot to process and so limitations will always apply to how they are made.

I look forward to your comments.

Paul

Affiliate Network Rep
    2Busy,

To add to Mr. Newton's comments, we are in no way suggesting we should take such conversations offline. In fact we thrive on such discussions, having them in a public forum is certainly a valuable approach and allows others to add their thoughts. As a matter of courtesy we offer to take financial conversations offline as many affiliates prefer to keep such things a bit more private.

With that said, I believe you and I have spoken about financial matters many times, thru email, over the phone and even in person. We have worked with you in a one off manner to try and get your payments to you as effectively as possible.

I'm somewhat surprised at your distaste for our approaches to help you resolve these issues. But if you have suggestions on how we can better serve you and the greater buy.at affiliate network of users, please let us know.

Additionally, I'd like to open this conversation up to the ABW user base. How are you receiving payments from international programs? What seems to work? What isn't working?

c3

First here, I have no distaste for an approach that would resolve the problem, it has already been discussed via email and the resolution I received is for the affiliate to wait until they somehow accumulate sufficient funds in a currency they are not attempting to market to. The figure in the interface was $35, not $25 but as I do not promote my sites in the UK it may as well be $25000. The network should be able to convert a monthly total of commissions rather than one commission at a time in order to have the funds available in the currency that the affiliate has opted for in their preferences. I'm not averse to paying a prorated share of that cost. I am opposed to not being offered any solution that can be reasonably expected to compensate me for my work in a timely manner.

I can only guess that this doesn't happen very often because if it is a regular occurrence there should be processes in place so that the onus does not fall on the affiliate. I don't believe that affiliates should be expected to determine how the network handles its financial obligations, but the network should not be surprised if affiliates object to having the problem handed back to them.

Affiliate Network Rep
    2Busy,

Most people who have transactions in a currency have an account in that currency. As we have expanded our network to include additional countries, additional currencies have come into play.

International bank transactions are in no way inexpensive, and we do all we can to absorb the costs from a network standpoint. We have partnered with Mellon Bank to provide nearly every currency in the world for our affiliates so they can select, for themselves, the currency in which they would like to be paid.

I can assure you the transaction values have been set as low as possible to keep the option available to our affiliate partners and to continue to provide service to affiliates in every country. Nearly every network charges minimums, but we have taken the extra step to provide currency options.

We introduced the Payoneer option so affiliate partners who did not want to fuss with the minimums had a choice. In this instance, there is a small charge associated to the choice of not waiting until your account has reached a bank based minimum. But that minimum is most definitely smaller than international bank transfer costs.

I understand the want to be paid immediately; truly I do, and in the end we have done our best to afford options to people in every country, to promote commerce in multiple continents and currencies. We have gone to great lengths to provide the options we have given. If anyone has other thoughts on how we can improve these options, we would love to hear them. We are not in the business of creating problems; we are in the business of solving them, and would like to be able to do so together.

c3

8. Newsletter Signup