My 1st Computer!
    Ok so this sounds funny, but today just now I purchased my 1st BRAND NEW computer!!!! For Years I have bought refurbished comps. Sure my new computer is a emachine? Never heard of it before. But it has things I never heard of like Windows Vista Home Basic with SP1?????
    AMD Athlon 2650e Processor? I thought all processors were intel?
    NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE Integrated
    160gb HDD????
    2GB DDR2 Memory
    So with all that unknown stuff I say woohoo. Same price as a refurbished one?!?
    LOL Its so pretty has the new computer smell. Its like Christmas in August.
    I attract success and abundance into my life because that is who I am.

Congratulations! And, yes, eMachines has been around for many years. A lot of folks used to criticize them for being "cheaply" made but they did seem to last a long time. The company/brand has outlasted a lot of others - which were "supposed" to be superior. You got a solid machine at a reasonable price. Bravo!

BTW, my very first computer (other than a plain calculator) was a Timex.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Its definitely cute i think its gonna take a bit of time to get used to this Vista thing. I am just all giddy oh and my price was $249.00 +tax.....was definitely in my budget....

Edit: Did a double take on the timex....lol I had no clue they made computers...

ABW Ambassador
    Your specs are a bit low for running Vista.

A lot of people HATE Vista.

what would be a good "spec" for running vista. I always wonder what exactly do people hate my only reason for owning a computer is so that I can work. I don't download, I don't burn things once in a while I will listen to youtube, but mainly its all work and no play. This is a treat for me it even came with a new keyboard that matches the computer and speakers and a new mouse lol...

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by snappy
    what would be a good "spec" for running vista?

A better processor, more RAM and a better graphics card.

A better computer.

Nothing wrong with what you have, but Vista is resource hungry. Your computer will be slow running Vista

Oh yes I always thought intel was the way to go, aren't graphic card something you can buy and install urself? I am defintely NOT the computer person. my last computer i bought from a computer repair place had windows xp but the comp was a dell from 00 and it was sooo slow imagine logging on to linkshare on dial up and i have rr.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by snappy
    Oh yes I always thought intel was the way to go, aren't graphic card something you can buy and install urself? I am defintely NOT the computer person. my last computer i bought from a computer repair place had windows xp but the comp was a dell from 00 and it was sooo slow imagine logging on to linkshare on dial up and i have rr.

AMD are good. I meant a better processor in terms of price, not manufacturer.

You can install a graphics card and RAM yourself, but you just purchased the computer, so make do with what you have if you can. You may be fine, especially if you can downgrade to XP

Your First Computer
    Congratulations on your first computer. I am certain it will do well for you.

I have worked on computers since 1960 and most of the time I loved it.

I am planning on buying a Mac in September.

Bill Briggs
    Newbie (about 5 minutes ago).

ABW Ambassador
    As far as RAM goes, 2GB RAM is fine for Vista. Not sure about the processor. My computer is a couple of years old now and still super fast with Vista, 2GB RAM and I have a AMD Athlon Dual Core 4400. Should have gotten a bigger hard drive tho.

I've had a couple of emachines in the past and they were fine for what I was doing.

Affiliate Manager
    Congrats Snappy!! You are living the good life now!!

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Congratz Snappy. Here is my 2 cents. If you have the CD and internet access, format the hard drive and reinstall it.

PC from a lot of manufacturers install so many software that you will never use and slow down the PC.

When I bought my PC from Dell, it had like AOL to other apps that I have never seen. It was annoying and hogs the CPU processing power/RAM.

All the best

There's nothing wrong with the computer you bought.

I've had a HP computer for 2.5 years now with an AMD processor, 2 gigs of ram, and Vista Home Premium on it and its super fast with no problems at all with Vista.

It faster with the AMD processor in it than any computer I ever had that had an Intel processor. I think AMD processors work a lot better than Intel.

Outsourced Program Manager Sarah Bundy's Avatar
    Wow, that's a big step and I'm sure very exciting! Congrats on your new computer!

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread