Hey Everyone!

Need some help. Remember the bad old days when Microsh*t Frontpage modified the urls, adding lots of crap to every single link (ie. amps).

Well, now Microsh*t Frontpage 2002 is doing the exact oposite. It is decoding every single link. You know that most affiliate links are encoded, ie. CJ product links, Shareasale links (http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...=8776062092)... you know, if you want to link to a Shareasale merchant product, you have to encode the url first, and then instert it on the page... and after all the work you do, that piece of sh*t decodes the links!!!
    All the work is gone in a few seconds!!! And it's just today that I realized what it had been doing!

Does anybody know how can this be solved. The only solution I found was to go to the HTML window, and change the links there, but it makes the whole process cumbersome. Isn't there a simple way to do this? Sth. like an on/off option?

Thank you, and check your links!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    It's always been the same procedure to insert HTML encoded link. Use the tools -insert pulldown and choose "insert HTML"

Mike & Charlie ...

"Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Guess simplist way would be use another program

I used to hate FP screwing up codes
    I don't use FP anymore or the 2002 version, but can you still ad code using their feature that basically coded it similar to
    This used to solve the program with the amp problem, maybe it wil fix what you are doing????
    < !--webbot bot="HTMLMarkup" startspan your link here
    < !--webbot
    bot="HTMLMarkup" endspan -->

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

http and a telephoto
    What Mike said, and if you paste it directly into the html page it gets mangled, you absolutely have to paste special, paste as html.

Or open the page in Wordpad and paste it there, then open in FP to move it around.

Deborah
    http://loxlygallery.com

What walleye warrior said.

Also, there is a fix for Front Page, but it's painful. Here are the steps:

1. Delete Front Page
    2. Install another program like Dreamweaver, or just manipulate the code in a text editor.
    3. Re-Open your file in the new program, and viola!

Sorry to be rude, I am on the rebound from fixing someone's bloated FP code.

Fred

Are you sure the nurses know you're using the computer?

right click on the part of the page you want to paste at and hit "paste Special" then chose "paste as html" works for me

Yeah like Mike said...he knows FP. I started out with FP less than a year ago. It's a good starter program IMO. Like Fred said, FP can really get bloated...especially if you do a lot of editing (cut and past). I changed over to Dreamweaver three months ago and its great!! It's a bit pricy and there is a definite learning curve but IMO it's the way to go for professional web builders. Good luck!

Brad

ABW Ambassador
    What Walleye says.

In the FP 2002 normal editing screen, place your cursor where you want to paste the code. Get the code you want to paste on your clipboard.

Then:

Insert > Web Component > Advanced Controls > finish

A widow pops up ... paste your html code in that window. Click OK. Your html code will be inserted by webbot and will not be changed.

Sounds involved but do it a couple times and you can then do it without having to think.

what do some urls need to be encoded? I still haven't figured this out. Dreamweaver seems to change encoded urls but doesn't insert stuff like amps.. the %2f's or whatever get converted into slashes like they would be in the url bar of a browser.

will this cause tracking problems? the ones I've tested seem to track clicks fine and bring me to the right page.

ABW Ambassador
    The amp; issue has been posted in here by a couple networks in the past it WILL effect the tracking

WW

I started with Front Page when I didn't know HTML. Then I got Dreamweaver.

To be totally honest, it's a glorified FTP program the way I use it. I scoffed at the people that said to hand code. I thought they were being snobs. But once you get used to it, hand coding is the way to go.

When your page is doing something goofy, it's so much easier and faster to go to the HTML and fix it there. When you can't figure out why something is doing something it shouldn't, again, faster and easier to find it in the HTML.

Once you're comfortable with Front Page or whatever you use, start looking at the HTML and figuring it out or buy a book. It'll save you some headaches.

ABW Ambassador
    When changing machines I lost the use of FP without paying for a new program
    Had eversoft 1stpage2000 which I had dabbled with which I now use
    Learning curve for HTML shot up considearbly and now don't miss FP much
    If I do goof up and need a pure wysiwyg editor I open a page in selida, fix page and go back to 1stpage
    Selida does same thing and modifies codes like FP does and constantly crashing, causing hours of lost work, so its a PITA to use.

WW

Not exactly on Topics but related:

There is a new free/open program available for web development in Linux and Windows: NVU

NVU is still beta, but has a LOT of potential:
    http://www.nvu.com

It's free, give it a swirllll !

This topic interests me as I use Frontpage 2000. Are these problems occurring in that version or only in 2002 FP version? I thought of getting FP2002 but the comments here make me think different.

By the way - I have only extremely basic web design skills and have no desire to learn html, encoding, skydiving, etc...

Larry Wentz

AffiliateNetwork.org newWebsite.com (Try us FREE!)
    </p>

</p>

ABW Ambassador
    LOL@ Wentzco

HTML compared to skydiving
    I have a thing about heights and planes
    I always ask, why would I want to jump out of a perfectly normal flying plane.
    It's never going to happen

WW

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread