Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    About Damned Time... Murdoch's Going to Charge for Site Access.
    I think it is about time that one of the news moguls took it upon themselves to charge for content.

I have been writing in-depth articles about everything remodeling for years and I would hate to think I was writing for free.

This article >> http://www.marketwatch.com/story/mur...tes-2009-08-05 will sound off a new era in news reporting if Murdoch sticks to it and plays it out.

I think that content is valuable and I for one will pay for access to my Houton Chronicle and the other news sites that I depend on every day for my " What's going on in the world " FIX!

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Will never work - The NY Times tried this already and it failed so bad they changed their mind. This is a desperation attempt to bring in some revenue.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    "Murdoch: We will charge for all news sites"

What an idiot. Guaranteed failure.

It's a big mistake. CNN must be laughing and cheering about this idiotic decision.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Murdoch is overly optimistic about his ability to make people do what he wants and how much people value his media properties.

I hope this destroys his network further and makes him sell a number of his properties. Having him running the WSJ is not one of my favorite ideas.

Where was the FCC when these moguls were setting up these monsters that control what most people think?

Hmmm maybe he will change myspace into MyNews and have bloggers updating it
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by RemodelingGuy
    [SIZE=3]
    I have been writing in-depth articles about everything remodeling for years and I would hate to think I was writing for free.
    Weren't you writing to attract traffic so as to monetize it. How was it writing for free.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Murdoch's Newscorp - parent of Fox News, Fox Studios, WSJ, and all the rest - lost over $200 Million in the fourth quarter of 2008, compared with a $ 1.1 Billion profit for 2007's fourth quarter.

Murdoch knows he's in deep and massive layoffs at the NY Post are imminent, and even more at the the WSJ, after last year's major staff cuts.

Ideas like charging for web access to "news" available on hundreds, or more likely thousands, of other sites, is the type of idea that could push the nails even further into the coffin containing the remnants of Yellow Journalism's most viscous, self-centered, and heartless proponent.
    Quote Originally Posted by andbeyond
    Where was the FCC when these moguls were setting up these monsters that control what most people think?
    Murdoch's hand-picked FCC happily and quickly removed all the restrictions that had prohibited ownership of multiple TV and radio stations and newspapers in the same markets. FCC votes to change media ownership rules - May 30, 2003
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by sam_park
    Weren't you writing to attract traffic so as to monetize it. How was it writing for free.
    Exactly!

I don't put my knowledge on the web for no reason.

Ultimately, I want to get paid.

I cancelled my newspaper subscription years ago, because it is FREE on the net.

I think that paid news subscriptions will be highly unpopular for a while, but, as I said, if he sticks to his guns and others follow, it will be something that keeps our quality journalists employed.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )

Anyone who wants the latest news from around the world:
    News indexed from 36977 sources
    auto-refreshing in 230 seconds

http://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I think that content is valuable and I for one will pay for access to my Houton Chronicle and the other news sites that I depend on every day for my " What's going on in the world " FIX!
    Well, I've not posted on Abestweb for years... and I think this is a good post to break my dry spell.

I completely agree with RemodelingGuy. Murdoch is very much heading in the right direction on this. Putting televison news websites aside, I've thought print newspapers will start moving to a pay model sooner or later.

You guys invoke the New York Times. The NYT is essentially starving itself of revenue by choice by not charging for its website. The minute they charge for access, it will instantly add a higher value to their news website.

Price is informatioin - and if you are at a shoe store and see a pair of 99 cent shoes versus a pair of $39 shoes, what would you think? Probably that the second pair are some "nicer shoes."

Also, Murdoch is saying this because he already can see how this pay model has worked successfully for the Wall Street Journal, which News Corp. owns. For the record, I subscribe to the print daily Wall Street Journal AND I also pay for the online wsj.com. That company has effectively doubled the number of news products that they've sold to me. And I'm more or less very happy with it.

Because other papers have not embraced this sooner, I believe, just shows how completely at sea most news media owners are regarding their business model.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by labinski
    Well, I've not posted on Abestweb for years... and I think this is a good post to break my dry spell.

I completely agree with RemodelingGuy. Murdoch is very much heading in the right direction on this. Putting televison news websites aside, I've thought print newspapers will start moving to a pay model sooner or later.

You guys invoke the New York Times. The NYT is essentially starving itself of revenue by choice by not charging for its website. The minute they charge for access, it will instantly add a higher value to their news website.

Price is informatioin - and if you are at a shoe store and see a pair of 99 cent shoes versus a pair of $39 shoes, what would you think? Probably that the second pair are some "nicer shoes."

Also, Murdoch is saying this because he already can see how this pay model has worked successfully for the Wall Street Journal, which News Corp. owns. For the record, I subscribe to the print daily Wall Street Journal AND I also pay for the online wsj.com. That company has effectively doubled the number of news products that they've sold to me. And I'm more or less very happy with it.

Because other papers have not embraced this sooner, I believe, just shows how completely at sea most news media owners are regarding their business model.

Steve

I just LOVE it when well thought out and intelligent posters agree with me.

This is my analogy:

The newspapers are on a sinking ship. When the ship sinks, it will suck them down with it. There are no lifeboats, and the only way off is to swim.. but the sea may or may not be infested with sharks. Nobody wants to be the first to find out if there *are* sharks, so they sit and wait for someone to jump in.

Curiously, the biggest news site in the UK is run by the BBC. It's funded out of the equivalent of $240 or so that most households pay for their TV licence. In the UK it carries no advertising.. so in fact this is a type of subscription model already..

..and of course, Murdoch wants to close the BBC News website down because he sees it as being unfair competition.

I still haven't seen a decent system for micropayments though.. apart from running ads that is!
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Exactly!

I don't put my knowledge on the web for no reason.

Ultimately, I want to get paid.

I cancelled my newspaper subscription years ago, because it is FREE on the net.

I think that paid news subscriptions will be highly unpopular for a while, but, as I said, if he sticks to his guns and others follow, it will be something that keeps our quality journalists employed.
    How would this work, Jimmy -- charge people to go to your website and read the copy you've written there and use the links you have there.

Isn't that pretty much what you're saying is the right model for news on the Internet? Sounds like the same thing to me.

Wonder how that'd work for you??

As soon as all the news providers on the Internet can get together and lock out all unpaid news sources -- all 100+ million of 'em or however many -- THEN paid news on the Internet might work.

Duh.
    Generate more fake news.

This would only have worked if he did it ten years ago. The Web 2.0 attitude so prevalant these days (and especially with the younger audience) will hang him now. Teh interweb should be freez.

And that's too bad. There is a need for quality journalism, and those folks need to get paid somehow.

What happens in North Carolina and Rhode Island if newspapers lose those advertising agreements based on Nexus language? What if NY broadens their reading of the existing law? What if Arnold hadn't vetod it in California?

Even the broken model would disappear.

Interesting times for newspapers. Not good times, but interesting times.

I would encourage everyone to find a blogger you know and trust, and is apparently willing to work for free. That's where you will be getting your news.

Unless a media outlet really comes up with a semi-revolutionary business model, the news as we know it is in big, big trouble. I want 10 thousand sources to read from so I can make my own decisions. Not just the few that will weather the storm.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Well you all should move to Vegas ... The newspapers here are so bad they could give them away for free and no one would read them. But that is a good thing. It saves lots of trees. They have a online sites ... but they suck just as bad.

The problem is that the people running the newspapers and the media moguls all think
    that what they produce is necessary. It's nice but not necessary ... they have this thing called cable television and there is always the BBC radio feeds.

Actually, newspapers were never a growth industry and they never will be, but of course Wall Street is all about growth, not quality and consistency of revenue. I remember when the LA Hearald Examiner was alive. People bought the thing just for the sports page. You went to Santa Anita and 90% of the 10,000 plus people had the HE sports page sticking out of their pockets. And it happened everyday.

The subscription idea is a good one ... the question is what does it cost? Investor's Business Daily is a case in point. No reason to buy it, just go to the library on Monday
    when the only issue you need to read arrives. Saves you big.

I would pay $5/month for the Sunday NY Times. But not much more. Ditto the Sunday LA Times.

You can monetize the online site if you charged $5 or $10 month and anyone who signs up can make 50% if they refer a subscriber ... refer 2 subscribers you get your news fix for free. You refer 10 people, you make $20 to $50 every month.

Get 100K subscribers and you bring in $250 to $500k per month after paying your affiliates.

Of course the CEO can't be making more than $250K per month. But, hey there are downsides to everything.

Still, you get a check or paypal deposit from your local newspaper every month, you will not be cancelling your subscription too soon. And you might even read the rag.

Net4: I don't think it can work. It would work if people relied on brand to determine trust level. i.e. trust a Murdoch paper more than crowd sourcing, etc.

But everytime someone starts a "Facebook Stealing Cars During the Night" group on Facebook itself, 10,000,000 people sign up for it.

True news/journalism is so diluted by the noise on the internet that it devalues it. And subscription models will fail because of it.

Guess if I was Murdoch, I'd start an entirely new news site: Hire the 35 best journalists of our time, and then start charging to read it. That might work. But his current model won't.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    It's the internet, people (generally) aren't going to pay to read news when there are no shortage of places to get it for free. Most people also have cable or satellite and news is on a 24/7 cycle, they can get it there as well. ESPN has some Insider stuff that you can pay for, but that stuff is recopied onto other sites/forums where you can read it for free.

The problem is that people want quality journalism (well, some people), but by and large they're not prepared to pay for it.

The result.. well, it ain't gonna be pretty. Imagine that the Watergate scandal had been uncovered by a couple of part-time bloggers instead of a couple of skilled journalists with the full resources (including lawyers) of a newspaper behind them.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    It's the internet, people (generally) aren't going to pay to read news when there are no shortage of places to get it for free. Most people also have cable or satellite and news is on a 24/7 cycle, they can get it there as well. ESPN has some Insider stuff that you can pay for, but that stuff is recopied onto other sites/forums where you can read it for free.
    Several years ago, we lost the Houston Post!

Now, all 5 million of us in Harris County have to depend on the Houston Chronicle if we want print news.

As far as on-line news goes, we have several news channels that will NEVER be able to charge for the journalism on their sites and it may be the same news, but it's not updated constantly and it's not the chron.

I guess that somewhere in my black heart, that I would pay just to help keep my local paper alive.

I would never pay for the NYTimes or Post ( & I'm a fan of Page Six ) unless I lived there.

I just think that the newspapers are Yesterdays News, but have built organizations tha employ great journalists, whilst people are turning to bloggers.

I'm a news junkie and like my brain food to come from people dedicated to providing that news for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo
    The problem is that people want quality journalism (well, some people), but by and large they're not prepared to pay for it.

The result.. well, it ain't gonna be pretty. Imagine that the Watergate scandal had been uncovered by a couple of part-time bloggers instead of a couple of skilled journalists with the full resources (including lawyers) of a newspaper behind them.
    Good Post!

I have no idea all of what Murdoch owns, but I think charging a subscriber fee would limit the dreck that permeates the net ... for example, say you want a Facebook page, it costs you $5 per month or even say $3/month ... how many people would not pay ... and even if they did not, so what.

It's nothing new ... MSFT used to pay me 10 cents per visitor for everyone I sent to Slate ... the extra $2k per month was nice. The point was to establish a brand you
    have to spend money to promote it.

The problem with just about every dweeb who thinks he knows how to monetize his efforts. He is wrong because he is not setting up his marketing right. It's the dot com
    bust 2.0. Eventually, you have to have more money coming in than you have going out. FREE is worthless.

Here is how you do it. Gather up some investor funds, say $10 million which might be too little but is a start.

Take half the funds and buy some income producing insured bond fund or high yielding stock like KinderMorgan. $5 million at 5% is $250K ... $20k per month is your branding
    cost ... that's 400,000 visitors per month at 5 cents per visitor.

Take one quarter and use it for production and such ... Invest the other quarter of the funds and use the revenue for back up money. You will never run out of money
    if you do this trick.

Use the half the income to pay per click to people to visit your web magazine or newspaper thru an affiliate program ...5 cents per click would be a good number, the
    viewers have to stay on the site for at least 30 seconds for the affiliate to get paid.

Now you have some traffic to build a brand ... you have some people with an interest in you succeeding (affiliates) ... monetize the 400,000 visitors/month thru CPM advertising, Adsense, Ad Slot Fees. Charge an yearly $5 access fee to read past the headline page.

You have 4.8 million visitors ... get 10% to pay the $5 and you bring in $2.4 million, plus any other income. You should net you something around $1.2 million ... 12% ROE. Not a bad business. Pay the investors 50% of that in dividends and you have yourself a cash cow. If you can get $100 million in VC funds ... even better.

That's how you do it ... money for nothing, but you have to pay for the chicks.
    I'd say.

ABW Ambassador
    Several years ago, we lost the Houston Post!

Now, all 5 million of us in Harris County have to depend on the Houston Chronicle if we want print news.

As far as on-line news goes, we have several news channels that will NEVER be able to charge for the journalism on their sites and it may be the same news, but it's not updated constantly and it's not the chron.

I guess that somewhere in my black heart, that I would pay just to help keep my local paper alive.

I would never pay for the NYTimes or Post ( & I'm a fan of Page Six ) unless I lived there.

I just think that the newspapers are Yesterdays News, but have built organizations tha employ great journalists, whilst people are turning to bloggers.

I'm a news junkie and like my brain food to come from people dedicated to providing that news for me.
    Most of what you are talking about is print and people have always paid for that and now look at most of them, some are barely holding on, some have folded. So you have people used to paying, not so willing to do that anymore. Now try to get people who are used to getting something free and then try to charge them for it. It would be even a harder sale.

And most people know and if you don't, the generations coming up will since they were raised with internet in home and some cases school. That paid stuff will be out there for free somewhere. I was reading some of the comments that people left on that article and people know this:

"No one will pay for something that we could get for free elsewhere on any number of other websites."

"BIG MISTAKE. there are far too many news sources out there. And there will be no way to police information taken from a paid news source and distributed to thousands of blogs."

"Uhhh yea ok....if you havent noticed Rupert there are a BILLION places to get news and information for free. Take your pay - per - news and shove it up your.....well you know :>\"

lots of that and even people giving tips on how to search for that paid stuff so you can find it for free.

The music business is struggling as well with sales because it's all out there for free.

I know they've been trying to find a way to make money but they need to find another way, keep looking because paid models just don't work in regards to stuff like news. Even moreso with our economy the way it is right now, don't think it would work even if we had a great one.

But we can watch his experiment unfold and see how it goes.

As long as Walmart has cheap lounging pajamas, who needs to go buy a monetize anything ... life is FREE ... so is lunch ... just ask anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by net4biz
    As long as Walmart has cheap lounging pajamas, who needs to go buy a monetize anything ... life is FREE ... so is lunch ... just ask anyone.
    It's going to be a DrudgeReport.com world then.

With that left wing woman on the other side.

All bloggers....

It's like getting your news from a Wiki site.....

No facts, just opinions..

grrrrrrrrr....
    Last edited by RemodelingGuy; August 6th, 2009 at 05:45 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast