Using Purchased Music Files
    Are there any legal dangers of using a purchased music file for background music on site, when not actually making money off the music? Such as music playing while viewing a slide show of your own photos?

using music
    How is the site being used? If, for example, you are using the site to draw in traffic for affiliates, which you are then in turn making money off of, I believe it could then be argued that you ARE using the music to help make money.

The music would be just for enjoyment when viewing photos we have taken that suppport articles we have written within the site, relating to travel. No music sales of any kind..
    It is planned that the site will have affiliate links on it as we plan to offer some shopping , but elsewhere within the site.
    Is it an issue because the site as a whole is trying to make money?.....
    If so, it makes one think that any affiliate site cannot have any music on it unless the affiliate is the musician and it is their own music.
    Im asking because I purchased a download and tried to put a wedding photo slide show on line for the kids, from their wedding , but could not upload it to UTube because of the music not being mine. And that was totally for personal use , well non-commercial , just so all the friends could see it. Read the Terms from Utube and where I purchased but it was like a catch 22...

http and a telephoto
    There is plenty of royalty free music you can purchase and use commercially, even some free sites that offer music for use online with attribution (putting the musician in the credits in the video). As for using music in general, like your favorite Eagles song, some music companies care and will send you a C&D if they find it, or worse. Others like the extra publicity.

Finding the right music has been a challenge for me for some of the projects I have planned, but it is out there.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Smile
    Thank you very much Loxly!

free music
    yes, as Loxly said, there is a wide selection of "public domain" music available, which is music with no copyright (usually do to expiration). If you're putting together something related to weddings, and are looking for some classical pieces to use, you should be able to find something public domain without much trouble. Other than that, like Loxly said, there are many artists out there who are happy to have their music out there as long as they are properly credited. For bigger name music, it's really a YMMV type situation, depending on the music publisher. Some don't really care, some will send their legal team after you. Realistically though, yes, a cease and decist order is probably the worst thing you might face. If you really want to play it safe, then contact the publisher or artist's management.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread