ABW Ambassador
    http://www.weather.com/services/desk...xhomepagedewy1

The free version is ad supported but at the bottom it says:

"We respect your privacy - Desktop Weather by The Weather Channel products do not contain "spyware".

Now sometimes things are ad supported, and it doesn't make them spyware. My gf download something on her computer, Desktop Weather Authority which is ad supported, and it has some ads but no pop-ups or anything like that, no spyware. I think there were threads here talking about WeatherBug being spyware which is different from what this is.

So for somebody with a little more expertise is the Weather Channel Free Desktop Weather considered spyware?

I work in lounge pants

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Im approved for the program at CJ but Mike's comments about it worried me so I haven't loaded links to it yet.

I can't find anything on doxdesk about it. I got burned on the Weather Bug thing years ago and I don't want to make that mistake again.

ABW Ambassador
    You have to remember when Napster came out he called it a BHO with a backdoor trogan, kinda libelous if you ask me, since that was a straight up lie. And i remember him saying the Weather Channel thing was spyware too, but i don't think it is.
    I mean i would rather people have Napster than other music dl software that has shopping appliciations attached to it and i would rather people have The Weather Channel Desktop thing if it is indeed spyware free, than the WeatherBug that has sypware from what i have read.

I work in lounge pants

ABW Ambassador
    I do not use it. But I read TWC's T&Cs for the free version. I do not believe it contains any kind of spyware. It is ad supported. I do not think a company like TWC will push spyware. Regarding Mike's comment, those words were either copy/paste from his BHO template or was parrot poop. Do not take these words too seriously. Some folks like to brand everything as BHO, adwhores etc. without knowing a crap. One day ABW will show up on #1 in Google for the word "whore"!

Trust, so far Mike's the only person who's been down on Weather Channel's program and I haven't found anything online to discredit it. Weather Channel is a highly reputable company and I'm skeptical they'd do anything that would damage their reputation.

So unless Mike shows up here with some substantiation for his claim, or Andrew from doxdesk says it's a no-no, then I'm going to upload the links. Not every download is trouble. Most of 'em, sure, but not all of them.

I remember having issues with WhenU after downloading WeatherBug. It took forever to get rid of all of it. I hated the daily messages from "Stephanie@WeatherBug."

I don't think The Weather Channel is spyware, at least from what I've seen. I have it on one computer, and I haven't noticed anything that I can trace back to it.

If anyone finds anything concrete about The Weather Channel being spyware or parasitic, I'd sure like to know about it.

Andy

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Rhea ...just download the darn weather channel application and try it out for a few days. Then promote it if you feel more folks will get the app from your site then the 20 million who go there and maybe hit the download button. Should be a real money maker for you since it's a great freebee.

Mike & Charlie ...

"Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

We use a TWC for our weather, so we won't be promoting this product. I love TWC, but be careful of assuming it is "clean" because the company is reputable. Not saying it's a parasite, just saying due diligence is in order.

Karl Smith >>> phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money! >>> click here to learn more

Philly, I've done as much due diligence as I know how to do. I've checked doxdesk, Google groups, and a few search engines. Haven't heard a peep about any trouble, except Mike's comment, which he hasn't substantiated.

My best all-time banner ad campaign was with Weather Bug (before any of us knew what it was doing), and I think TWC will do well also. However if it has a dangerous payload I won't use it.

Mike, don't you agree that it's necessary to provide substantiation when a program is labelled as parasitic? I think it's important that we be real clear about which programs are safe to promote and which aren't so as not to dilute the bad news about the programs that are scummy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Rhea wrote: Mike, don't you agree that it's necessary to provide substantiation when a program is labelled as parasitic? I think it's important that we be real clear about which programs are safe to promote and which aren't so as not to dilute the bad news about the programs that are scummy. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I think Mike believes the fact that he's posted it should be enough substantiation. He also believes everyone should agree with him.

I'd sure like to know what he apparently thinks he knows, I'm not promoting TWC, other than I have their current weather component on one site, but I would prefer to not have anything at all to do with them if they are on the dark side. So, Mike, if you know something, spill the beans!

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    The problem when Mike lies about this stuff is people want weather stuff on their computer and people are going do dl music. If there is a parasite free alternative, it's in the affiliates best interest to promote it. Lying about it and making stuff up is anti-affiliate. Would you rather have your site visitors coming to your site with:

Napster/Itunes on their computer or Morpheus/Kazaa?

The Weather Channel Desktop application or the WeatherBug?

I work in lounge pants

ABW Ambassador
    I agree with PhillyBurbs - be careful promoting this free download software. More than 1 reputable company has sneakly bundled this stuff into these programs - or downloaded it after the software has already been installed. Plus, TWC's definition of "spyware" may not match what we at ABW think it is.

When I first saw this offer at CJ my very first reaction was "wonder what kind of spyware is bundled with it?" If the software is truly clean and you trust TWC to not install some junk after the fact, then by all means, promote it.

But something like this makes me very, very wary. Having been burned by too many downloads, I'm extremely leery of promoting downloads or even downloading anything myself.

Jim

All I know for a fact is after removing 175 spyware/adware and suspect cookies using Ad-aware....then doing 10 more removals with SpyBot S&D the Weatherchanel startup screen and popup weather summary was cleaned. This was a new office computer with only MS office, DSL connection S/W, IE and Netscape browser, AIM, Norton antivirus, PaintShop Pro, WeatherChannel and MS Frontpage installed under "Add remove programs". Left the Weather channel there as they wanted quick access to local daily weather radar/doplar scans.

Friggin popups where coming out the Ying Yang when I was showing them their new web site and how to use the SE's for competitor searches. They could have installed another weather download program, but sure didn't tell me about it.

Regardless of the labeling of WebMaster Mike being a pathalogical Lier by Trustno1 for being critical of ALL the weather FREEBEE downloads I'll continue to warn folks here to not waste their time promoting any FREEBEE lead fee programs on any network. They're all presumed guilty, in my book, till proven innocent.

Mike & Charlie ...

"Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>They're all presumed guilty, in my book, till proven innocent. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm thinking of a response, and it has to do with The American Way ... nyah, forget it.

Karl Smith >>> phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money! >>> click here to learn more

The napster folks best jump on the auction sell off of all the MP3.com goodies

http://www.cowanalexander.com/Events/CA031004/index.htm

That too was a legit download site.

Mike & Charlie ...

Mike what the HECK?

Messisng with my Goodies..

SandraR<font color="red"></font>
    <font face="Arial" size="1">ArtGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">AutoGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">BookGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">CleanGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">GameGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">GiftGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1"> - </font><font face="Arial" size="1">PetGoodies</font><font face="Arial" size="1">
    </font><font size="1" face="Arial">| SSAN &amp; AIM: SSanAssistance | MSN &amp; Yahoo: SSan_Assistance |</font></p>

Im gonna regret saying this but im with mike

TWC gave us weatherbug it will give us spyware again. it will be a cold day in hell before i even go to TWC website knowing them they probably have a keylogger in the background of the website page itself. took me weeks to get rid of weatherbug last time fool me once twice no way.

-----------------------------
    I don't check stats, I only do that weekly I would rather make more pages than money
    aim nycfalcon1

Okay, I'm not going to load the ads. This isn't a clear call for me but I'd rather err on the side of caution than live to regret it.

ABW Ambassador
    nyfalcon
    where are you getting that the WeatherBug is connected to the Weather Channel?

The WeatherBug is AWS, Inc., formerly known as Automated Weather Source

Not the same as far as i can tell, in the Weatherbug about us page they even say they:
    "surpasses the National Weather Service's network of weather monitoring stations in providing local weather forecasts and current weather conditions."

I work in lounge pants

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread