Google Stopped Showing Posts
    what has superCool done now? superCool has a fairly new blog (3 weeks?), and up until today it was doing ok in Google and the posts were showing under related searches. today the posts are no longer showing, but the home page (blog home) is showing in Google. the post pages are still indexed (based on site:.... search), but every search shows the home page. when superCool searches for a phrase that in the past would take a user to a specific post page, today he sees the home page and under the home page is the category page. The category pages are set up with noindex, follow, so should they even be appearing?

superCool can look at his logs and see that yesterday google visits were going to post pages and today they are going to the home page.

superCool is very careful about his post titles and believes they are a big factor in his clicks. now the user only sees the home title, which is generic and does not match the search phrase as closely.

since this is a new blog, superCool has been making changes here and there and could have messed something up. the post pages are not noindexed (and they are indexed) and links to them are not nofollowed.

any ideas what superCool has done to cause this problem? maybe it will clear up when google revisits the site?

thanks for any advice you can give.

Thats normal to show up for a few weeks with a new site and then all/most traffic from Google to disapear for awhile!! Give it a few weeks/months and you should start getting regular traffic again.

thanks for the reply. superCool has heard of what you are saying, but this is not just that the traffic has dropped but the way google is showing posts has changed. is that part of the same thing do you think? would post pages stop showing in the results? why would the home page that merely mentions the search phrase show ahead of the post page that is optimized for the phrase....all of a sudden...?

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    superCool likes to refer to himself in the third person! Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode....."Jimmy played good today".

check to see if your seo plugin is not overwriting anything.

you say the search shows the homepage. Does it show the homepage title or url. If it's just the title, then possibly the seo plugin may be overwriting the posts titles.

15 years and counting
    Something is going on.
    I noticed their spiders are going crazy on blogs but they are not showing new posts or indexing new URLs.
    Maybe just some regular maintenance work, a server broke or somebody is on vacation... Google is far for perfect.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Quote Originally Posted by ladidah
    check to see if your seo plugin is not overwriting anything.

you say the search shows the homepage. Does it show the homepage title or url. If it's just the title, then possibly the seo plugin may be overwriting the posts titles.
    You know ladidah you might have it right here. The latest version of ALL in one SEO Pack works a bit weird and was screwing up a blog of mine. The titles were getting made empty. It seems to lose the booelan of what to put on the titles.

Check your title tags on post pages.

Also to get rid of the tags, categories, archives, and other redundant stuff you might want to exclude them in robots.txt. I have a standard WP robots.txt that solves all those pages showing up. No matter what the plugins do.

If you exclude a lot of the duplicate stuff the post pages should be elevated and this would help them rank. Also more links never hurts, within reason.

15 years and counting
    andbeyond - The latest version of ALL in one SEO Pack works a bit weird and was screwing up a blog of mine.
    You have to be very careful with the latest update of All in One SEO Plugin Version 1.6.4.
    You can have problems during the db upgrade but also the upgrade automatically deactivates the All in One SEO Plugin, not at the WordPress plugin page level but in the All in One SEO Plugin configuration page. So you can have an updated but deactivated plugin without knowing it. Pretty screwy, indeed.
    You have to configure All in One SEO Plugin and set it to Enabled. Plugin Status: Enabled or Disabled.
    But, I don't think what is going on with Google and blogs is linked to that plugin upgrade.

15 years and counting
    According to Webmasterworld there's a major Google update and SERP change going on. It may not be the priority of Google to show new posts and add new URLs.

superCool has been using the SEO features that are built into the theme (from bytesforall). It seems to work very well and the titles, descriptions, etc. are being added correctly.

hopefully it will resolve itself soon and things will get back to normal. or maybe superCool has reached the end of the honeymoon and this is just how things are working out.

superCool checked his titles, robots, nofollows, etc.. and the pages are indexed by Google, so hopefully there is nothing wrong with the site. can't say it makes superCool feel "better", but it's starting to look like this is out of his hands....?

thanks everyone

Rules Of The Webo/Blogo Sphere.

1. Google giveth and Google taketh away.

2. He who lives by the Google Bot, dies by the Google Bot.

3. Rhyme, reason, rationality and Google are mutually exclusive.

4. Computers rule, people suck. It is not our job to deal with real people.

Better translated: The only good person is dead person except for Sergey.

Like HAL in the movie 2001. Then sooner someone pulls the plug or fries the circuits that make Google go, the better off the world would be.

If the titles, etc. are being indexed correctly and they are showing up in Google and in SERPs then you have what is commonly seen with blogs. Perhaps the honeymoon phase is over and time to make backlinks babies.

Typically new blog posts show up on the first few pages when first published and then drop down from the SERPs. Having backlinks to these posts help to keep them ranking better, internal links, and linking to these posts using keyword phrases. Ofcourse quality content is a must for me.

Update:
    superCool thought that maybe he had too much content on the blog home (10 fairly long posts) and that this was causing all searches to go to the blog home rather than the posts. (maybe?) So he reduced the number of posts on the home page to 5. Google visited again today and now neither the posts nor the blog home are showing well. the posts are showing again, but much lower than before. last week the blog home was getting hit a lot instead of the post pages. superCool still got traffic but the visitor had to look harder to find what he/she wanted. now superCool is not getting much traffic at all, so back to 10 posts. ??

does this sound logical to anyone? superCool might be caught up in some Google shenanigans..or maybe the end of the honeymoon has finally arrived. not sure, but don't like it much.

snappy thinks supercool may be on to something, snappy thinks that keeping the posts down to five might please google on some weird level?
    I attract success and abundance into my life because that is who I am.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Have you ever tried using the more tag in wordpress?

It is one of the little icons when you write or edit a post. it looks like a horizontal dotted line. Or try googling it. it creates a break that only allows up to that amount to show in the loop on the homepage. Kind of like a teaser part of the post. It makes your home page less duplicate content.

But again I say eliminate extra stuff from getting crawled and get some quality links.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    My superCool brother,

All of this Bing money from MS, Google with this new beta site, Yahoo playing games and ganging up against G creates havok......

I used to be an SEO master...

Could get anything indexed in the top 10 in Goog in hours.

Now, I don't have a freaking clue what I'm doing...

My brain hurts from all of the changes.

I think that if you just chill, the numbers will come back.

Since this is a new blog, make sure that you create pages that are very searchable...

Play with the header, metas, micro targeted URLs and SEO friendly terms in the content of the page.

One thing I am finding of late is that the page name takes a huge part in the search engines.

A page named jims_widgets.html will automatically jump up in the search engines if my header, url, content, and such all blend together if I search for Jims Widgets..

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    superCool likes to refer to himself in the third person! Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode....."Jimmy played good today".
    Maybe superCool voted for Bob Dole?

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread