Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

32 78.05%
  • No

9 21.95%
    ABW Ambassador
    Do You Use Google Webmaster Tools
    Every now and then I see people mention it but was curious as to how many people use it. Figured with a poll, we can get some kind of percentage.

15 years and counting
    Yep, and I'm not too happy with their new frontpage. You can't see the "errors" anymore at first sight without diiging in each of your sites.

ABW Ambassador
    Yes, I'm using it. I'll check my sites status once in a while to see if anything weird happen.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    I use it but not with all of my sites. If things are confused or messed up I use it. If I jsut did a major site change I like to use it to check for 404s and other problems.

If a domain is one country usually I specify it there.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Use it to see if there are any major issues and either way, Google, Yahoo and MSN is here to stay.. at least in the foreseeable future.

yeap, use it but not as often as I probably should or probably not as much of them but do log in there to check on things. Agree with Zeus, I don't like the new front page either.

Yes, I check in there about once a month or sooner if looking for problems. Sometimes the data appears to conflict with other Google sources. For example site:example.com rarely agrees with WT.

I use it heavily.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I use it, but I really don't check it much unless I change my sitemap code.

Use it about once a week to check keywords, any errors, red flags, etc.

I especially check errors since it may affect ranking.

15 years and counting
    Don't expect a boost in ranking by using Google Webmaster Tool. I've only half my sites listed to be able to compare what works and what doesn't. You can rank very well with sites with many "errors". I can even say, much better for some. To have a "super clean" site (html or code wise) does not mean success.
    I've yet to see an effect on crawling rate and inclusion.
    Google Webmaster Tool would be a great tool to spy on your competition, too bad it's limited to your own sites. (You don't consider Google as a competitor, do you?)
    I'm mad at their team for using us as beta testers without telling us. Their software was (and maybe is still) full of bugs and I had to waste my time correcting many false "errors".
    On the positive side, it's very useful if your site get infested by malware, they will even help you locate where you have a problem in your code. (and it's the only way to be "reconsidered")

I only say that it may affect rankings. I don't have a super clean sites and know that you don't need one to be able to rank. But if you had 20 errors to begin with for the longest time for 1 site, and all of a sudden it takes a dramatic jump to more than 200 one day, you know something is wrong. My traffic plummeted and no where to be seen in SERPs, so I decided to check WMT. Found the errors and fixed them. Site came back slowly up and I'm happy again. http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=49

I also check it to see who is linking to me. It annoys me that some spammers out there use my site's name or url somehow in their content. I see them in the SERPs but luckily not in WMT. One thing I am surprised to see but still need to figure out why this is, but I see tons of Yahoo glue backlinks. Very strange and no idea why.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    I use it for our blog and any pages that I update on our site. It catches some things for me every now and then and some of the stats are pretty cool.

One of the best things is that I will find we rank super high for a decent key phrase for something I never thought of. So, I will then work on that page and then within a few months, we are even better.

I think it's good not only for finding problems, but also for finding those random things you never would have guessed about your site and the rankings.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

The only Google Tool I would use is the one that vaporizes Google into nothingness.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread